Naked Science : Super Volcano

Not if but when....and yes we will be whipped out, it's happened before. There are others around the world that could blow as well...does that mean gawd hates us? Sorry, couldn't resist..

Not if but when....and yes we will be whipped out, it's happened before. There are others around the world that could blow as well...does that mean gawd hates us? Sorry, couldn't resist..

I don't think humanity will be wiped out. We'll be colonizing the Moon, Mars, and other places in the solar system well before such a disaster occurs. We'll also have more efficient methods of food production, so the impact of any disruption to growing seasons will be minimal. That's me thinking optimistically, at least.

I don't think humanity will be wiped out. We'll be colonizing the Moon, Mars, and other places in the solar system well before such a disaster occurs. We'll also have more efficient methods of food production, so the impact of any disruption to growing seasons will be minimal. That's me thinking optimistically, at least.
Very optimistically. I have to wonder at how you are so sure of this...America in this instance would most certainly be in very poor shape..they've found ash from previous Yellowstone eruptions on the east coast and they speculate that an eruption may have contributed to the Clovis people disappearing along with other large animals on the continent.

Dating the eruptions indicates that Yellowstone is due or possibly overdue. I'm not indicating that it will happen but the facts are that it could happen at any time.

Just to make myself clear...I don't believe in vengeful gods, not even the 'christian fundamentalist' variety.

Very optimistically. I have to wonder at how you are so sure of this...America in this instance would most certainly be in very poor shape..they've found ash from previous Yellowstone eruptions on the east coast and they speculate that an eruption may have contributed to the Clovis people disappearing along with other large animals on the continent.

Dating the eruptions indicates that Yellowstone is due or possibly overdue. I'm not indicating that it will happen but the facts are that it could happen at any time.

Just to make myself clear...I don't believe in vengeful gods, not even the 'christian fundamentalist' variety.

Such catastrophes are rare; they occur once every half a million years or more. The odds of another eruption occurring before we're able to mitigate it with technology seems improbable. For example:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2115413...ould-vertical-farming-be-future/#.T8JkGvUUgpo

Besides, humanity has survived at least one super volcanic eruption in the past.

Back