Navaho Code Talkers

It was a cool tactic…that worked like a charm evidently. Here is a video clip of my tribe (Choctaw) and their contributions. Bridges around here bear some of their names by way of dedication. Sadly, the language is dying out. I can speak a few words and pick up a word here and there in conversation but that is about it. My tribe offers classes but only old, retired people take them.

It was a cool tactic…that worked like a charm evidently. Here is a video clip of my tribe (Choctaw) and their contributions. Bridges around here bear some of their names by way of dedication. Sadly, the language is dying out. I can speak a few words and pick up a word here and there in conversation but that is about it. My tribe offers classes but only old, retired people take them.

That's a real shame, how many people left who can speak it fluently? ⁹

I thought I had read that some linguists were running a project to formally capture the language so that it could be taught. Obviously the traditional method is an oral tradition. This project is attempting to replicate the oral tradition to modern means of teaching language.

Sure would hate to see this knowledge drift away forever.

I am pretty sure that there is or was a display on these people at the Ft Huachuca Museum.

Wife the intel expert is getting the hounds at the moment.

Wife 97E Hungarian/Russian/serbo-croatian/German...Picked for SGM but had to turn it down and get out because of combat PTSD.....too many times rocked and rolled on the roads or almost shot out of the sky in a copter in her over 3 years in theater in Iraq.

I am less that happy about this.

Wife 97E Hungarian/Russian/serbo-croatian/German...Picked for SGM but had to turn it down and get out because of combat PTSD.....too many times rocked and rolled on the roads or almost shot out of the sky in a copter in her over 3 years in theater in Iraq.

I am less that happy about this.

Was she a helicopter pilot?

Was she a helicopter pilot?

No, she was the First Sergeant of an MI Co that was spread over the North of Iraq, and she felt honor bound to visit all of her soldiers, during a particularly nasty time...which meant frequent copter trips.

No, she was the First Sergeant of an MI Co that was spread over the North of Iraq, and she felt honor bound to visit all of her soldiers, during a particularly nasty time...which meant frequent copter trips.

Dangerous part of world back then especially if she was anywhere near Erbil or Mosul.

Here's some more info about code talkers on Iwo Jima.

https://www.cia.gov/stories/story/navajo-code-talkers-and-the-unbreakable-code/

Back