NAVY oiler grounds, out of service

Hawkeye10

ButterMilk Man
Contributor
"– gCaptain has received multiple reports that the US Navy oiler USNS Big Horn ran aground yesterday and partially flooded off the coast of Oman, leaving the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group without its primary fuel source.
Kaiser-class oilers, named after Henry J. Kaiser, were introduced in the 1980s and have long been the backbone of the Navy’s underway replenishment (UNREP) capabilities. These vessels refuel carrier strike groups and other naval assets at sea—a crucial task ensuring the Navy’s global reach and operational readiness. However, as single-hull tankers, they’ve been considered environmentally vulnerable since, following the Exxon Valdez oil spill, the 1990 Oil Pollution Act (OPA 90) mandated double-hull designs for commercial oil tankers.
The Navy currently faces a severe shortage of oilers and crew to operate them. Earlier this month, the Navy announced it might lay up 17 replenishment and supply ships—including one oiler—due to difficulties recruiting U.S. Merchant Mariners. While the Navy has launched five new John Lewis Class oilers – including the USNS Lucy Stone (T-AO 209) this week – and awarded NASSCO a $6.7 billion contract for eight more, challenges persist.

Official Navy and Military Sealift Command sources have repeatedly assured gCaptain that the John Lewis program is on schedule. However, two marine inspectors who have examined the new oilers tell gCaptain they’re encountering numerous problems, delaying the vessels’ overseas deployment. Despite the lead ship, USNS John Lewis, being launched in January 2021, it’s currently sitting idle at a repair shipyard in Oregon. As of today, none of the new oilers have been cleared to leave the continental United States."

"– gCaptain has received multiple reports that the US Navy oiler USNS Big Horn ran aground yesterday and partially flooded off the coast of Oman, leaving the Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group without its primary fuel source.
Kaiser-class oilers, named after Henry J. Kaiser, were introduced in the 1980s and have long been the backbone of the Navy’s underway replenishment (UNREP) capabilities. These vessels refuel carrier strike groups and other naval assets at sea—a crucial task ensuring the Navy’s global reach and operational readiness. However, as single-hull tankers, they’ve been considered environmentally vulnerable since, following the Exxon Valdez oil spill, the 1990 Oil Pollution Act (OPA 90) mandated double-hull designs for commercial oil tankers.
The Navy currently faces a severe shortage of oilers and crew to operate them. Earlier this month, the Navy announced it might lay up 17 replenishment and supply ships—including one oiler—due to difficulties recruiting U.S. Merchant Mariners. While the Navy has launched five new John Lewis Class oilers – including the USNS Lucy Stone (T-AO 209) this week – and awarded NASSCO a $6.7 billion contract for eight more, challenges persist.

Official Navy and Military Sealift Command sources have repeatedly assured gCaptain that the John Lewis program is on schedule. However, two marine inspectors who have examined the new oilers tell gCaptain they’re encountering numerous problems, delaying the vessels’ overseas deployment. Despite the lead ship, USNS John Lewis, being launched in January 2021, it’s currently sitting idle at a repair shipyard in Oregon. As of today, none of the new oilers have been cleared to leave the continental United States."

I wonder if it was hit by a Houthi missile.

I read this morning that it hit something underwater , Not ran aground.. I will have to keep an eye on the story.
Have a nice day

All of the services are in huge trouble, but for about a half dozen years I have been of the opinion that the Navy is the worst.

I believe that is the definition of running aground, even if what is hit is not Earth.
Nope

Running aground occurs when there is no longer deep enough water to float a vessel.

If a boat hits the bottom and becomes stuck, it's known as being grounded or running aground.

likely it occurs due to misinformation about water depths, or a change in the bottom structure of a waterway.

Nope

Running aground occurs when there is no longer deep enough water to float a vessel.

If a boat hits the bottom and becomes stuck, it's known as being grounded or running aground.

likely it occurs due to misinformation about water depths, or a change in the bottom structure of a waterway.
You have failed go address the issue...what is it called if a boat or ship hits something under it that is not a part of the Earth, say a wreck or a human structure of some kind?

I say that so far as I know this is running aground....if it is not that then what is it.

And please dont act dumb....its annoying.

You have failed go address the issue...what is it called if a boat or ship hits something under it that is not a part of the Earth, say a wreck or a human structure of some kind?

I say that so far as I know this is running aground....if it is not that then what is it.

Your ignorance is showing, stop talking about things you have no knowledge of

HITTING something that is under water IS NOT running aground.
It is just hitting something.
Running your boat/ship up on an uncharted island or a piece of land is RUNNING AGROUND, and as far as I know it hasn't changed since I was in the navy.
Have a nice day

The big question here is how the trumper scum will figure out a way to blame it on President Biden and Vice President Harris.
Well in Old America the sorry state of the Navy certainly would end up on the President's desk.

But ya under the Revolution we are told to shut up, do as we are told, and dont complain.

Well in Old America the sorry state of the Navy certainly would end up on the President's desk.

But ya under the Revolution we are told to shut up, do as we are told, and dont complain.
You've apparently never heard of something called "the chain of command".

The President does not nor has he ever, concerned himself with equipment maintenance.

He's got the Joint Chiefs, the Pentagon and scores of Generals to sweat those details.

Back