NCAA is getting out of hand.

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
W

WinterBorn

from: http://network.yardbarker.com/all_s...of_The_NCAA_Targets_Crimson_Tide_Fans/2839633

"Once again the NCAA is beginning the process of creating a rule that will directly impact another SEC team.

The latest rule will target fans of the Alabama Crimson Tide and the "Rammer Jammer" chant.

NCAA Committee member and ESPN college football analyst Mike Bellotti said, "The student is as much a part of this as the student-athlete, and if we're going to treat everyone the same it has to include the actions of the fans, as well."

"It's going to be a 15 yard penalty for each documented chant. The sum will be tallied up on the first possession of the season, effective for the opener on September 4th, 2010 against San Jose State."

On February 12, 2010, the NCAA recommended that the University of Alabama be punished for the fan's "Rammer Jammer" chant. The penalty would include the nullification of the play "for taunting during a live play."

The problems with such a ridiculous rule are almost too many to count.

Several years ago the NFL tried a similar rule in their attempts to corral crowd noise. The home team was penalized five yards for "delay of game" when the crowd noise became so great that the opposing team couldn't hear the quarterback.

That rule was deemed ineffective and unfair and didn't even make it through one season. The NFL decided it was a bad idea to punish a football team for something that was beyond their control.

If the "Rammer Jammer" chant begins after the game clock hits zero, what then? Will the Crimson Tide be penalized fifteen yards during the kick off of the following game? Penalties from one game have never been assessed in a different game.

The possibility that an opposing team's fans will start the "Rammer Jammer" chant in order to punish the Tide is a very viable threat as well. Every penalty is attributed to a certain player on the field. Can the NCAA assure the University of Alabama that the same standards will be applied to the fans?

Bellotti states that the "Rammer Jammer" penalty would be fifteen yards for "each documented chant." When the Bama fans do the "Rammer Jammer" chant they always repeat it more than once. Just how many yards will be marked off against the Tide if the chant is repeated four times? A sixty yard penalty?

Bellotti also stated that "the student is as much a part of this as the student-athlete." Maybe Bellotti is unaware that tens of thousands of the fans at Bryant Denny are not students of the University of Alabama.

Another problem will be what hand signal the officials use to call the penalty. I would suggest the official face the Alabama student section and give them the middle finger.

LSU will be up next. During the game against Ole Miss the Tigers fans will chant "Geaux to Hell Ole Miss. Geaux to hell" and hang signs with the same chant all over Death Valley.

And they do it all game long.

And then Ole Miss answers with "Go to hell LSU."

When the NCAA starts policing the fans of college football is when they start overstepping their boundaries.

The NCAA seems to have appointed themselves as the "hurt feelings police."

Trying to stop a school fan tradition that is decades old is not the purpose of the NCAA. Fair play and the safety of student-athletes are.

Nick Saban has appealed the ruling.

What kind of PC bullshit is this? We are now policing the fans by punishing the team?

your right,
next they will attack LSU's roll tide, roll tide, around the hole and down the bowl.

"Michican Sucks!" should be safe then as that's more a statement of fact then a chant.

Well, in all the games I have been to, I never heard the Rammer Jammer chant when Bama lost. So it could be a statement of fact as well.

I took an on-line class at Alabama on childrens literature when I was working on my teaching certificate. I thought it was a teaching class for kids books. Turn out it was the official lit class for the Bama football team (and journalism majors).

I took an on-line class at Alabama on childrens literature when I was working on my teaching certificate. I thought it was a teaching class for kids books. Turn out it was the official lit class for the Bama football team (and journalism majors).

There is an old story from when Joe Namath was playing for UA. The reporters were asking him about his classes, and one asked if he was majoring in Basket Weaving. Joe never missed a beat and answered "I was, but I wanted something easier so I switched my major to journalism".

Someone should charge the NCAA with un-sportsmanlike conduct!!!

The standards they use have gotten so homosexual, I'll get pissed off seeing them called on the opposing team. Yeah, thanks for the 5-15 years, but that was fucking retarded!!!

what is the rammer jammer chant?

Come on, you don't remember hearing it chanted in Baton Rouge?

"Hey Tigers!
Hey Tigers!
Hey Tigers!
We just beat the hell out of you!
Rammer Jammer, Yellowhammer, gave 'em hell, Alabama!"

I don't think its a bad cheer, as far as college football cheers go.

Come on, you don't remember hearing it chanted in Baton Rouge?

"Hey Tigers!
Hey Tigers!
Hey Tigers!
We just beat the hell out of you!
Rammer Jammer, Yellowhammer, gave 'em hell, Alabama!"

I don't think its a bad cheer, as far as college football cheers go.

The only game that bama beat us in BR that I attended we left early with a lead. How is that worse than around the whole and down the bowl.

The only game that bama beat us in BR that I attended we left early with a lead. How is that worse than around the whole and down the bowl.

Its not worse. Its just that the NCAA picked the Rammer Jammer to show their muscle.

The UA has tried to ban the cheer in the past. Fans didn't listen.

The NCAA is gay, let fans blow off steam. Shit that is tidley winks compared to the racist bastards in soccer stadiums in Europe.
I say the Tide fans flip the NCAA a middle finger wave as they up the volume on Rammer Jammer. Nothing beats college football even if BAMA is everyone's Daddy Again. I'm sure the Bear is smiling as he brief's God on the coming season of football.

There is an old story from when Joe Namath was playing for UA. The reporters were asking him about his classes, and one asked if he was majoring in Basket Weaving. Joe never missed a beat and answered "I was, but I wanted something easier so I switched my major to journalism".
Yea I've actually seen the clip. The Reporter asks Namath. "What they got you studying down there, basket weaving?" Namath replies "No, journalism. It's easier." The Reporters all cracked up.

Just as a point of order, the Ole Miss response to LSU's "geaux to hell" is fucking lame. Someone call them up and let them know. Secondly, the LSU taunt against Bama is freakin' sweet and full on WIN! Rammer Jammer kind of disappointed me, because there was this huge build-up to it, but I think its alright. The last line is catchy, and I think the NCAA would have to be pretty fucking gay to target it for real.

A recruit name Alfy Hill was shot down by the NCAA Clearinghouse, AFTER the had already cleared him. Now they claim some of his classes are not up to par. These classes have, apparently, been used for years for other kids going to college.

What pisses me off worst is that the NCAA initially cleared Hill, and now they go back and slap it away.

Classes started on Monday, and they tell him now?

I don't have much doubt that this would not have happened if Hill hadn't decided to play here.

Wow, a brave mob.

I am sure you could find someone willing to fight you one on one.

Well, providing you didn't stick to the "Go to these coordinates and look under the bridge for a metal box.....".

Or yes, a brave mob and a stomped SM. Sounds like a good time to me.

Back