NCAA Sanctions

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
So when is the NCAA going to sanction Alabama, Ole Miss and Tennessee like they did USC and OSU?

The payola scandal at these schools was just as aggregious as the Reggie Bush scandal at USC and far, far more aggregegious than the tats for swag scandal at Ohio State.

How comes there isn't an investigation? Why aren't these teams being sanctioned? What gives with the NCAA? Are they trying to protect someone or something?

If their is any consistency, credibility and fairness to the NCAA enforcement of rules than Alabama should have to concede their 2012 and 2013 national championships or USC's national championship should be returned to them. Alabama should also have to concede all it's wins for 2012 and 2013 and be placed on probation, scholarships reduced and banned from post season play for at least one year. The same penalties should apply to Tennessee and Ole Miss.

So when is the NCAA going to sanction Alabama, Ole Miss and Tennessee like they did USC and OSU?

The payola scandal at these schools was just as aggregious as the Reggie Bush scandal at USC and far, far more aggregegious than the tats for swag scandal at Ohio State.

How comes there isn't an investigation? Why aren't these teams being sanctioned? What gives with the NCAA? Are they trying to protect someone or something?

First of all, the sanctions against OSU were not so much for the tats for swag as they were for the head coach knowing about it and covering it up.

If a player took money, and the university knew about it, I am all for sanctioning Alabama. So far I have seen only a statement from the player claiming he did, and another from the "agent" claiming he did not.

If their is any consistency, credibility and fairness to the NCAA enforcement of rules than Alabama should have to concede their 2012 and 2013 national championships or USC's national championship should be returned to them. Alabama should also have to concede all it's wins for 2012 and 2013 and be placed on probation, scholarships reduced and banned from post season play for at least one year. The same penalties should apply to Tennessee and Ole Miss.

As soon as the investigations are done, I am happy to see any of that happen. But the severity should be, at least partly, based on what the institution knew or didn't know.

First of all, the sanctions against OSU were not so much for the tats for swag as they were for the head coach knowing about it and covering it up.

If a player took money, and the university knew about it, I am all for sanctioning Alabama. So far I have seen only a statement from the player claiming he did, and another from the "agent" claiming he did not.
Well that's how it started out with OSU and USC? Why the double standard? Why shouldn't this be investigated?

And OSU was punished for providing "special benefits" to players. Not for Coach Tressel lying. Coach Tressel was fired for that and rightfully so.

If Bama, Tennesee and Ole Miss players were receiving special benefits, as Reggie Bush did at USC and there was never any evidence that Pete Carroll knew about the special benefits players were receiving. So why shouldn't those three teams be held to the same standard as USC and OSU?

As soon as the investigations are done, I am happy to see any of that happen. But the severity should be, at least partly, based on what the institution knew or didn't know.
Why? Why the different standard for those teams? USC was never implicated on what that institution knew but on the basis that they had not controlled the situation and that players did receive special benefits. Same with OSU. Hell those players didn't even receive money. They got tats and some weed. OSU's sanctions were not for Jim Tressels actions (again, he was fired for his actions and the Institution itself knew nothing of the players actions).

What pisses me off is a huge scandal was made out of the USC and OSU situations and practically nothing is being said about these three SEC teams and I haven't heard a damn thing said about them by ESPN on this issue. Hell as far as I know, there isn't even an investigation being launched. That is I haven't heard of one. (I could be wrong there).

Why? Why the different standard for those teams? USC was never implicated on what that institution knew but on the basis that they had not controlled the situation and that players did receive special benefits. Same with OSU. Hell those players didn't even receive money. They got tats and some weed. OSU's sanctions were not for Jim Tressels actions (again, he was fired for his actions and the Institution itself knew nothing of the players actions).

What pisses me off is a huge scandal was made out of the USC and OSU situations and practically nothing is being said about these three SEC teams and I haven't heard a damn thing said about them by ESPN on this issue. Hell as far as I know, there isn't even an investigation being launched. That is I haven't heard of one. (I could be wrong there).

I've heard plenty, but much of it is from individuals.

As for being like the other schools, Reggie Bush left USC after the 2005 season. The NCAA handed down sanctions in 2010. So if you insist we treat them all alike, I'll look for the sanctions in 2017.

And I didn't say my comment was how the NCAA works, because god only knows how they figure shit out. I was only voicing my opinion about how it should work. Much like you did about the Manziel autographing crap.

And I didn't say my comment was how the NCAA works, because god only knows how they figure shit out. I was only voicing my opinion about how it should work. Much like you did about the Manziel autographing crap.
Exactly. The Manziel situation worked out like it did cause little Johnny's parents can afford to hire a lawyer. The NCAA is great at making examples of kids who don't have the means to protect themselves but as with most bullies will run like hell from those who can fight back.

I've heard plenty, but much of it is from individuals.

As for being like the other schools, Reggie Bush left USC after the 2005 season. The NCAA handed down sanctions in 2010. So if you insist we treat them all alike, I'll look for the sanctions in 2017.
Probably not. Knowing the NCAA they'll show their displeasure at Alabama by adding two more years of probation to Southern Illinois.

Probably not. Knowing the NCAA they'll show their displeasure at Alabama by adding two more years of probation to Southern Illinois.

You know, this used to be a fun place to chat about football. And Mott, you used to be one of the ones who was in it as much as I was. The worst of it was Topper's obnoxious posts.

But now it is all bitching and moaning.

This place has changed more than I thought.

Back