need amateur dog vet advice.

i've got an 8.5 year old great dane that's been unable to keep down any dry dog food for 4 days. she's been able to keep canned dog food down, until tonight. now she's in pain and distress, labored heavy breathing, heavy drooling, and major vomiting of the water she's drank. I've given her one pepcid and one benadryl, trying to knock out the vomiting and then hopefully her to rest. any other advice?

i've got an 8.5 year old great dane that's been unable to keep down any dry dog food for 4 days. she's been able to keep canned dog food down, until tonight. now she's in pain and distress, labored heavy breathing, heavy drooling, and major vomiting of the water she's drank. I've given her one pepcid and one benadryl, trying to knock out the vomiting and then hopefully her to rest. any other advice?

She needs to be evaluated by a vet. The sooner the better.
Until then, just try to keep her comfortable.
Is her skin "loose", with no elasticity; because if it is, she's might have parvo.

Might be kidney failure. Seen pretty much the exact same symptoms with cats and it's always been kidney failure. If that's the case then you have to put it down.

She needs to be evaluated by a vet. The sooner the better.
Until then, just try to keep her comfortable.
Is her skin "loose", with no elasticity; because if it is, she's might have parvo.
no loose skin and i've seen parvo in puppies, this doesn't really look like it, but she's full grown so I could be wrong. vet tech friend of mine thinks twisted gut is a possibility.

no loose skin and i've seen parvo in puppies, this doesn't really look like it, but she's full grown so I could be wrong. vet tech friend of mine thinks twisted gut is a possibility.
If that's the problem, she'll be dead in just a few hours.
Our last German Shepard died from that.
She was around 9 years old.
Fine in the morning; but was dead by noon.
Sorry man.

Have her tested immeadiatly for heart worm. If she does she may have an advanced case and you'll have a very difficult decision to make.

Shotgun.jpg

Even better than the first one.

I'm sorry for your loss, man. I put mine down just a while back, she had some of these same symptoms.

this is why i don't own pets

That's weird to me. Avoiding the connection you get from the companionship of animals because you know it must end due to discrepancies in life expectancy makes no sense at all to me, it is well worth it.

But, hey... to each their own.

That's weird to me. Avoiding the connection you get from the companionship of animals because you know it must end due to discrepancies in life expectancy makes no sense at all to me, it is well worth it.

But, hey... to each their own.

It doesn't just end...it almost invariably ends with your having to make the decision to put the animal to death. That can be traumatic.

Anyway, sorry to hear about this STY.

It doesn't just end...it almost invariably ends with your having to make the decision to put the animal to death. That can be traumatic.

Anyway, sorry to hear about this STY.

Each time I make that decision I wonder if later in life somebody who loves me will ever be able to make the same decision for me or if I can ever make such a decision legally. The ability to be able to make the decision to die in dignity, with less pain, would mean a lot to me.

Back