New York’s Fat Beach Day gives plus-size people a space to be themselves

signalmankenneth

Verified User
Fat Beach Day events are springing up across the US in an effort to fight back against fat-phobia, reclaim safe spaces for the community and honor plus-size culture. Today, one of these celebrations is being held to coincide with Pride month at Jacob Riis Beach in New York, a location deeply ensconced in the city’s activism space.

“We’re going through something culturally that is impacting us every day on an individual level and a systemic level,” said Jordan Underwood, the event organizer. “We’re really trying to open up a space for people to be themselves.”

Underwood, a plus-size model, artist and activist, described being bullied for their weight as far back as middle school. Consistent hate, cruelty and harmful rhetoric from fellow students led to them setting up a blog at 12 years old, which became a place where they documented their experiences and made sense of what they were going through. In many ways, this marked the beginning of their journey into what they denote as “fat activism”.

Now, they organize events throughout New York City and work with Berriez, a vintage store “curated for curves” based in Brooklyn, to organize Fat Beach Day.

There may be rain, but the pair aren’t bothered. The day – featuring food, drinks and free sunscreen from Vacation – is something they’ve been looking forward to and planning for months.

“I’m so self-conscious at the beach, and I’m never around people that look like me,” said Emma Zack, who started Berriez in 2018. “I’m so excited we’ve created this space for other folks with bigger bodies to have a good time.”

In an era in which weight-loss drugs like Ozempic are deeply ingrained in mainstream diet culture, and thinness is resurgent as the ideal beauty standard, events like Fat Beach Day are becoming powerful tools in the fight against these norms. They have become not just events but calls to action – public stands against the societal pressures to conform to these shifting criteria.

Vogue Business reported that in the autumn/winter 2024 season across fashion weeks, only 0.8% of models were plus-size, and 3.7% were mid-size, a notable decline from previous years. A survey published by KFF in May found that about one in eight adults, or more than 15 million people in the US, had used a drug like Ozempic or Mounjaro at some point in their lives, highlighting the extent of this societal shift.

“In the 2000s, there was this anti-fat, intense cultural swing that really parallels what we’re going through right now,” Underwood said. “It’s indisputable how insidious the fat-phobia was in that decade. Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, both then a size six, were plastered all over the tabloids, accompanied by headlines that used words like ‘fat’.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/york-fat-beach-day-gives-150514623.html
1719088455277.png

Fat Beach Day events are springing up across the US in an effort to fight back against fat-phobia, reclaim safe spaces for the community and honor plus-size culture. Today, one of these celebrations is being held to coincide with Pride month at Jacob Riis Beach in New York, a location deeply ensconced in the city’s activism space.

“We’re going through something culturally that is impacting us every day on an individual level and a systemic level,” said Jordan Underwood, the event organizer. “We’re really trying to open up a space for people to be themselves.”

Underwood, a plus-size model, artist and activist, described being bullied for their weight as far back as middle school. Consistent hate, cruelty and harmful rhetoric from fellow students led to them setting up a blog at 12 years old, which became a place where they documented their experiences and made sense of what they were going through. In many ways, this marked the beginning of their journey into what they denote as “fat activism”.

Now, they organize events throughout New York City and work with Berriez, a vintage store “curated for curves” based in Brooklyn, to organize Fat Beach Day.

There may be rain, but the pair aren’t bothered. The day – featuring food, drinks and free sunscreen from Vacation – is something they’ve been looking forward to and planning for months.

“I’m so self-conscious at the beach, and I’m never around people that look like me,” said Emma Zack, who started Berriez in 2018. “I’m so excited we’ve created this space for other folks with bigger bodies to have a good time.”

In an era in which weight-loss drugs like Ozempic are deeply ingrained in mainstream diet culture, and thinness is resurgent as the ideal beauty standard, events like Fat Beach Day are becoming powerful tools in the fight against these norms. They have become not just events but calls to action – public stands against the societal pressures to conform to these shifting criteria.

Vogue Business reported that in the autumn/winter 2024 season across fashion weeks, only 0.8% of models were plus-size, and 3.7% were mid-size, a notable decline from previous years. A survey published by KFF in May found that about one in eight adults, or more than 15 million people in the US, had used a drug like Ozempic or Mounjaro at some point in their lives, highlighting the extent of this societal shift.

“In the 2000s, there was this anti-fat, intense cultural swing that really parallels what we’re going through right now,” Underwood said. “It’s indisputable how insidious the fat-phobia was in that decade. Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson, both then a size six, were plastered all over the tabloids, accompanied by headlines that used words like ‘fat’.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/york-fat-beach-day-gives-150514623.html
View attachment 27234
This is a tough issue. One should never judge another on their looks or other superficial attributes. But obesity in this country is a real problem. It costs the health care, and the rest of us, dearly. It was a major co-morbidity with COVID.

One doesn’t have to have a model figure, but a movement to excuse obesity is problematic for me.

This is a tough issue. One should never judge another on their looks or other superficial attributes. But obesity in this country is a real problem. It costs the health care, and the rest of us, dearly. It was a major co-morbidity with COVID.

One doesn’t have to have a model figure, but a movement to excuse obesity is problematic for me.
I share your sentiments. There's a reason we encourage people to eat balance diets and have some form of physical activity/exercise in their life and that's because of the health benefits (mentally and physically).

That's not suggesting we should shame overweight people but I'm not on the promoting it train either.

I am reminded of talking with a German woman around 1990 about a nudist portion of English Garden in Munich......she was seething that fat people were starting to show up, ruining things for everyone, bringing the ugly and offensive.

I share your sentiments. There's a reason we encourage people to eat balance diets and have some form of physical activity/exercise in their life and that's because of the health benefits (mentally and physically).

That's not suggesting we should shame overweight people but I'm not on the promoting it train either.
The coming save the planet diets and social credit scores and digital currencies will take care of that....some are even talking about needing to get permission from an app for everything we put into our mouths.

The New Slavers have thought long and deep about the new world order.

That’s one reason I don’t shit my pants like some when I see that the price of a McDonald’s shitburger is now $20, or whatever. Yeah, tough to lose low end jobs, I guess, but that stuff is killing our country.

That’s one reason I don’t shit my pants like some when I see that the price of a McDonald’s shitburger is now $20, or whatever. Yeah, tough to lose low end jobs, I guess, but that stuff is killing our country.
I'm only vaguely familiar with it but there's been some 'body positivity movement' going on for a handful of years now. Someone more familiar with it than I can speak to it in more detail but my understanding is it's about appreciating and respecting all body shapes and sizes.

Kind of like we've been saying I agree in the sense everyone should be able to feel good about themselves. I don't think someone should be made to have low self esteem because they are overweight. But with obesity (or those who are so thin because they don't eat) there are real health issues and they can't be overlooked.

I'm only vaguely familiar with it but there's been some 'body positivity movement' going on for a handful of years now. Someone more familiar with it than I can speak to it in more detail but my understanding is it's about appreciating and respecting all body shapes and sizes.

Kind of like we've been saying I agree in the sense everyone should be able to feel good about themselves. I don't think someone should be made to have low self esteem because they are overweight. But with obesity (or those who are so thin because they don't eat) there are real health issues and they can't be overlooked.
I’m probably a little more sensitive than most because of where I work in my little retirement job. I work in a deli in a supermarket. Probably the most popular food we sell is the fried chicken, fried potato wedges, corndogs, and mashed potatoes and gravy.

Sooooo many overweight people come in to purchase that shit. I want to ask them, “What the fuck are you doing? It’s less expensive to buy boneless, skinless chicken and cook it yourself.”

I’m probably a little more sensitive than most because of where I work in my little retirement job. I work in a deli in a supermarket. Probably the most popular food we sell is the fried chicken, fried potato wedges, corndogs, and mashed potatoes and gravy.

Sooooo many overweight people come in to purchase that shit. I want to ask them, “What the fuck are you doing? It’s less expensive to buy boneless, skinless chicken and cook it yourself.”
I work out six or seven days a week and generally speaking eat pretty healthy. (I have a young kid so staying in as good as shape as possible to be active with her is important to me.) My in-laws aren't obese people but they aren't thin either. I hated going to their house to eat because they were the exact people you described you serve. (They now order a little healthier when I come over after I complained to my wife about it but only a bit.)

I hear you on what you want to tell your customers. It certainly wouldn't be P.C. but you'd likely be doing them, and even the country, a favor.

I lost two acquaintances at one bonfire by saying that I really dont need to see anymore fat actresses.....

That is not most certainly not allowed in my dystopia.

Could be worse. You could sell carnival food like deep fried breaded sticks of margarine...

Vivek Ramaswamy thinks that the CCP is in it, but he suspects that they are opportunistic, that we are mostly doing this death dance by ourselves.

I am not so sure.

Back