NFL Draft

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Here's what I think the possibilities are for my team the Bengals (aka Bungals).

What the experts say "Jermane Gresham" TE.
This is a big need area for the Bengals but I have a number of problems with it. Gresham is a great short route and over the middle reciever but, he has had two major knee surgeries, his blocking skills are not at NFL level. Besides, I think there are better TE's available in the draft who have more balanced blocking/recieving skills. I think the Bengals may go that route rather then pay 1st round money to a TE.

Who I'd pick if available "Taylor Mays". One thing I learned from watching Paul Brown pull rabbits out of the hat, like Ken Anderson, Bob Johnson, Bill Bergy and Booby Clark, draft the best available athlete. That will probably be Taylor Mays. The knock on him is on deep pass coverage. With 4.33 speed I think thats a bunch of hooey. Mays is outstanding at run support and is a bruising hitter. If Mays is still available the Bengals should pull that trigger.

Another possibility would be Dez Bryant. If he is still available I'd prefer him over Gersham though I'd still take Mays if available.

My shocker pick. I'm worried about Palmer. It does not appear his arm has recovered from surgery and the Bengals need a plan B if his arm is fading. Tim Tebow would be a shocker of a pick but he could be available and he would fit that "best available athlete" criteria.

Here's what I think the possibilities are for my team the Bengals (aka Bungals).

What the experts say "Jermane Gresham" TE.
This is a big need area for the Bengals but I have a number of problems with it. Gresham is a great short route and over the middle reciever but, he has had two major knee surgeries, his blocking skills are not at NFL level. Besides, I think there are better TE's available in the draft who have more balanced blocking/recieving skills. I think the Bengals may go that route rather then pay 1st round money to a TE.

Who I'd pick if available "Taylor Mays". One thing I learned from watching Paul Brown pull rabbits out of the hat, like Ken Anderson, Bob Johnson, Bill Bergy and Booby Clark, draft the best available athlete. That will probably be Taylor Mays. The knock on him is on deep pass coverage. With 4.33 speed I think thats a bunch of hooey. Mays is outstanding at run support and is a bruising hitter. If Mays is still available the Bengals should pull that trigger.

Another possibility would be Dez Bryant. If he is still available I'd prefer him over Gersham though I'd still take Mays if available.

My shocker pick. I'm worried about Palmer. It does not appear his arm has recovered from surgery and the Bengals need a plan B if his arm is fading. Tim Tebow would be a shocker of a pick but he could be available and he would fit that "best available athlete" criteria.

Take Ben Roethlisberger. Please.

For my Chiefs... my hope is that Philly is truly enamored with Eric Berry enough to come up and get him.... I would love for the Chiefs to trade down and pick up a couple of extra picks in a pretty deep draft.

If the Eagles don't want to come up that far, then hopefully someone will be desperate enough for a starting QB and trade up for Ryan Leaf 2.0 - Jimmy 'the vastly over rated' Claussen

For my Chiefs... my hope is that Philly is truly enamored with Eric Berry enough to come up and get him.... I would love for the Chiefs to trade down and pick up a couple of extra picks in a pretty deep draft.

If the Eagles don't want to come up that far, then hopefully someone will be desperate enough for a starting QB and trade up for Ryan Leaf 2.0 - Jimmy 'the vastly over rated' Claussen
I agree. This is a good year for trading down. I see a lot of guy who have pro potential at LB, Safety, WR, RB and QB that I wouldn't want to spend 1st round money on. This years draft is playing into the hands of teams with later picks. There's going to be some top notch guys available in the late rounds because no one will want to pay them 1 round prices. This should prove to be an interesting draft year.

I agree. This is a good year for trading down. I see a lot of guy who have pro potential at LB, Safety, WR, RB and QB that I wouldn't want to spend 1st round money on. This years draft is playing into the hands of teams with later picks. There's going to be some top notch guys available in the late rounds because no one will want to pay them 1 round prices. This should prove to be an interesting draft year.

Yeah, the more draft picks the better. It is a pretty deep draft. I think there are some bust potentials at the top of the draft that some teams are going to waste a lot of money on. Jimmy/Casey Clausen being the number one bust potential. If you cannot win at a program like Notre Dame, are a completely arrogant piece of shit, come from a family of posers.... then ya got the great bust potential written all over you. He reminds me a lot of Ryan Leaf.... except Leaf had a better collegiate career.

Another big bust potential is Anthony Davis. As talented as that kid is, he seems to lack the heart to play the game. (Andre Smith anyone?)

A couple I like....

Dez Bryant... I know a lot of people question him... but if he gets away from morons like Deion Sanders, this kid is going to be a phenom.

Rolando McClain... a hard hitting cerebral linebacker. The kid gets the game, studies it, and seems to play with that love of the game that the great ones possess.

I think USC's McCoy's testing positive for pot seals the deal for the Bengals. They'll draft Mays, if he's still available and pick up McCoy in the third round. I think that would be sweet.

My superbowl champ saints should pick an olb. The draft on ESPN is the bomb for football addicts.

I fear this.... Our coach seems to be an idiot. I expect him to pick a random player that would drop into the third round otherwise in the first, then spend the rest of the time not filling out the 3-4 Defense...

I fear this.... Our coach seems to be an idiot. I expect him to pick a random player that would drop into the third round otherwise in the first, then spend the rest of the time not filling out the 3-4 Defense...

you will get McClain or Dez Bryant... unless he is able to trade down.

I think USC's McCoy's testing positive for pot seals the deal for the Bengals. They'll draft Mays, if he's still available and pick up McCoy in the third round. I think that would be sweet.

LOL!!! I've seen a couple of mock draft that had the Bengals taking McCoy in the 3rd round with the 'testing positive for pot just proved to the Bengals that McCoy is their type of guy' comments.

Top three... all BIG 12... Bradford, Suh, McCoy

Up next.... two more Big 12 players???... Williams, Okung or do the Chiefs take Berry?

And then, with Two QBs already, the Broncos select with the 25th pick... (giving away three picks they had picked up dropping down..)

Tim Tebow?

My Tide had two players taken in the first round. Looks like Rolando McClain won't be a Giant after all, and Houston got Jackson.

Both were excellent in college and will develop into even better. McClain is a future Hall of Famer and head coach.

Back