Nicotine deprivation

leaningright

Moderate Republican
Staff member
Ok, so I am on this smoking cessation program. One of the requirements of the program is that I have to meet with a counselor at the hospital where I go for regular healthcare. They have prescribed Chantix and I must say that it is working quite well so far. Nearly 2 weeks without a smoke. I also had some saliva duct stones removed about a month ago. So the follow up for the stone removal appointment was today at 1:30 and the follow up meeting with the counselor was at 2:30. The follow up with the ENT took a total of ten minutes and was on time. Now the follow up with the counselor is almost an hour late, coupled with the 40 minutes left over from the previous hour allotted for the other appointment. I have read nearly every post on this website and many ore things on the www. Why is it that medical appointments are usually late? I can understand a doctors appointment....emergencies come up. But a counseling session. If a normal business were run like this it'd be out of business. Man I could use a cigarette.

Ok, so I am on this smoking cessation program. One of the requirements of the program is that I have to meet with a counselor at the hospital where I go for regular healthcare. They have prescribed Chantix and I must say that it is working quite well so far. Nearly 2 weeks without a smoke. I also had some saliva duct stones removed about a month ago. So the follow up for the stone removal appointment was today at 1:30 and the follow up meeting with the counselor was at 2:30. The follow up with the ENT took a total of ten minutes and was on time. Now the follow up with the counselor is almost an hour late, coupled with the 40 minutes left over from the previous hour allotted for the other appointment. I have read nearly every post on this website and many ore things on the www. Why is it that medical appointments are usually late? I can understand a doctors appointment....emergencies come up. But a counseling session. If a normal business were run like this it'd be out of business. Man I could use a cigarette.
It's not so much that emergencies come up, they do, but that when you're with a patient you give your full attention to invistigating, diagnosing and treating the patients problem and not watching the clock. They're not accountants.

Quit by any means neccessary. I had it bad. Started smoking when I was 15 and quit when I was 32. I was up to two packs a day. I quit cold turkey and what worked for me was behavior modification. I analyzed all the behaviors I had that influenced my smoking and I either stopped those behaviors or I altered them. For example, I would not associate with anyone who smoked, including family members. I would not go any where were smoking was permited. I quit drinking booze and coffee. After meals I would immeadiatly involve myself in some activity and I took up excercising/working out as positive reinforcement not to smoke. The first month was hell and the next 6 months were a sore trial. To this day, and it's been 18 years since I quit, I still have nicotine fits, on occasion, and I still consider myself a smoker even though I haven't had a cigerette in 18 years. I was also greatly motivated by fear of dying. I knew in my heart of hearts that if I didn't quite smoking when I did I would die young.

If doctors don't overbook, there is a chance that a 10 minute period could go by during a day, in which they would not be able to bill $150.

Doctor's time: precious
Your time: meaningless

Best of luck - quitting smoking was the most challenging thing I've ever done. Been over two years now and I've never felt better. Keep it up! :good4u:

There is a woman i see now and then -we're just "friends wth benefits" i can literally smell her tobacco as she gets out of the car. yuck.

Old Joke: "I can quit smoking' i did it over 100 times". I think the craving is finally gone, i got wind, and work out now -things i couldn't do before - been about 2 years fo me - i had to taper off, you have to find your own way, i'm sure you know the caveat though -NEVER EVER even pick one up agian. They are literally 'coffin nails',

I smoked for 30 years, lucky to still be here.

Back