NiftyNiblick - Triple Decker Homes in New England

cawacko

What do you know about these? Reading a book on the history of housing in American and this is the first time I heard this type of home referenced. They were popular it seems in Massachusetts around the late 19th early 20th century, especially with immigrants. The owner would live on the first floor, a family member on the 2nd flr and they would rent out the top floor. It was a way for a working class person to own real estate.

But because they were often rented to immigrants, and there was an anti-immigrant sentiment at the time, they used zoning codes to disallow the building of these types of homes going forward. You familiar with these? Any of them still remaining that you're aware of?

What do you know about these? Reading a book on the history of housing in American and this is the first time I heard this type of home referenced. They were popular it seems in Massachusetts around the late 19th early 20th century, especially with immigrants. The owner would live on the first floor, a family member on the 2nd flr and they would rent out the top floor. It was a way for a working class person to own real estate.

But because they were often rented to immigrants, and there was an anti-immigrant sentiment at the time, they used zoning codes to disallow the building of these types of homes going forward. You familiar with these? Any of them still remaining that you're aware of?
There are some of them left in Southie, Charlestown, Dorchester, and plenty of them in the metropolitan area outside the city proper.
They're nicknamed "Irish Battleships," and gentrification is eliminating most of them in the city.
They weren't necessarily horrible.
They were mostly well-maintained until they got really old.

The biggest problem was that the Micks had too many kids in the old days,
so life in them was pretty crowded. Not much privacy. Lots of shared rooms.
There was no pill then, but there were condoms for sure.
I have to guess that the people were too hammered to get them on.
Micks will be Micks, right?

There are some of them left in Southie, Charlestown, Dorchester, and plenty of them in the metropolitan area outside the city proper.
They're nicknamed "Irish Battleships," and gentrification is eliminating most of them in the city.

LOL! Interesting reading about the tenement housing for the working class and poor from that time (that was big in New York, don't know if Boston had much of it or not). On one hand it was not good conditions. We've implemented a number of rules and regulations as a result to prevent that type of housing from being built. The trade off is we no longer have that level of cheap housing either. Now we hundreds of thousands of homeless people. I'm in no way suggesting we should go back to tenement housing but those who are homeless might be open to something slightly substandard at a much lower cost.

LOL! Interesting reading about the tenement housing for the working class and poor from that time (that was big in New York, don't know if Boston had much of it or not). On one hand it was not good conditions. We've implemented a number of rules and regulations as a result to prevent that type of housing from being built. The trade off is we no longer have that level of cheap housing either. Now we hundreds of thousands of homeless people. I'm in no way suggesting we should go back to tenement housing but those who are homeless might be open to something slightly substandard at a much lower cost.
Housing project apartment buildings were the answer during the FDR era, but there's no big sentiment to bring them back.
I don't know the answer for the housing problem either, but we certainly have one.

The Irish tended to be loyal Catholics who only used the rhythm method approved by the Church. As you've no doubt heard, people who use the rhythm method are called "parents."

1zV9oU6.jpg

It will be fun to see if the butthurt self-righteous RW obsessees return for yet another ass-kicking tomorrow. :laugh:

Yeah, when we lived there it seemed they were everywhere. My wife looked at one when we were house-shopping.

The one my wife toured when we were apartment shopping before we ended up buying our house sounded like it would have been a bear getting a sofa up into the second floor. It doesn't sound like they were made for more modern living styles.

I lived in one when I spent time working in New Bedford. It was owned by a Portuguese immigrant family. They were about the only decent people I met in that shit hole of a state.

Three story houses are fairly common here in California, due to the hills. Building up the side of a hill will often include floors that are asymmetrical. One side will appear as a two story, the other will have three.

I don't know the rules on that but I wasn't attacking you.
I know. I didn't take it as an attack at all.
I just thought that posts with user names in them had to go to the Was Zone.
I could be wrong.
I think it happened once before circa 1959. :laugh:

Back