No, Ladies, the New Breast Cancer Guidelines Aren’t Patronizing

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://skepchick.org/blog/2009/11/n...ncer-guidelines-arent-patronizing/#more-10537

November 18th, 2009 by Rebecca · 38 Comments

A US government task force recently came out with new guidelines for breast cancer screening, suggesting that women shouldn’t bother getting checked until the age of 50. The American Cancer Society currently recommends women start screening at 40.
Feministing reported this as “New patronizing guidelines for mammograms have been implemented by a government task force, recommending that women over 40 shouldn’t get routine mammograms because of certain risks like women’s “anxiety,”" which made me sigh sadly, because it is bullshit.
They link to Feminist Law Professors, who writes this about the subject:
A government task force claims that women don’t need to have routine screening for breast cancer until age 50. (See the AP story here.) But the American Cancer Society recommends routine mammograms for women 40 and over.
The government task force’s reasoning? Because the “anxieties” caused by mammography, false positives and biopsies do not decrease mortality.
If the federal government is so concerned about women’s anxieties, how about more jobs, affordable child care, lower tax rates, clean air to breathe, and an end to discrimination?
I can control my own anxiety about having my breast squished by a mammography machine, thank you.
The commenters at Feministing quickly jumped in to correct the original poster, but at FLP things only got sillier. Because these are usually good sources of intelligent information, I wanted to post this to reassure women who might be thinking along similar lines: these guidelines are not patronizing and they are based upon real data that suggest women will be better off this way. Here are a few points to bear in mind:
A government task force claims that women don’t need to have routine screening for breast cancer until age 50.
No. The task force recommends that most women don’t need it until the age of 50, but stipulates that “The decision to start regular, biennial screening mammography before the age of 50 years should be an individual one and take patient context into account, including the patient’s values regarding specific benefits and harms.” In other words, if you have risk factors, then your doctor may recommend you begin earlier.
But the American Cancer Society recommends routine mammograms for women 40 and over.
The ACS’s guidelines are twenty years old. The task force’s recommendation was just released, based on updated data and learning from the past 20 years. As a side note, the ACS does not recommend self-examination, and the World Health Organization recommends beginning screenings at age 50.
The government task force’s reasoning? Because the “anxieties” caused by mammography, false positives and biopsies do not decrease mortality.
Interesting that those are listed in the reverse order of their relative importance. The basic fact of the matter is that current evidence shows that we do not save more lives by screening all women before the age of 50. These screenings only contribute to more false positives, which in turn causes an incredible amount of anxiety. Have you ever been told you have cancer? Kind of upsetting, I’d imagine.
If the federal government is so concerned about women’s anxieties, how about more jobs, affordable child care, lower tax rates, clean air to breathe, and an end to discrimination?
Okay, sure. This panel of doctors will immediately stop trying to improve lives and safeguard women’s health and immediately get going on lowering your taxes. That’s a red herring, in which completely unrelated issues are introduced in order to distract from the issue at hand.
I can control my own anxiety about having my breast squished by a mammography machine, thank you.
It should be quite clear by now that the anxiety doesn’t come from the inconvenience and pain of the mammography machine, but in being told you have cancer when you do not.
The first commenter at FLP says:
Just who is this government task force? Probably a bunch of men… Why havent they given the people an updated stating that men should only be screened for testicular cancer when they turn 50?
CD Dorsey
Obviously, CD didn’t bother to actually read the linked article or do the slightest bit of research, which is exactly why I’m writing this post. So many people read something online and immediately believe whatever it is, not even pausing long enough to click a link. To those of you who are reading this right now, please do not believe me. Click the links. Thanks.
To answer CD, the vice chair of the task force is quoted in the AP article:
“The benefits are less and the harms are greater when screening starts in the 40s,” said Dr. Diana Petitti, vice chair of the panel.
I’m going to guess Diana is a woman. Of course you could always visit the web site of the US Preventative Services Task Force to see that at least 8 out of 16 members are women (I’m not including one “Sandy” who could be a man or a woman), but that took all of 30 seconds so I can see how one would shy from doing that.
So, kudos to the Feministing crowd for sticking up for evidence-based medicine in the comments section. Hopefully, that kind of rational thinking will influence future posts on women’s health.

let it go watermark, you are in the underwhelming minority on this one....virtually all the experts are against the government guidelines

you should ask krugman though, i know your heart will not be settled until he speaks on the issue

let it go watermark, you are in the underwhelming minority on this one....

Argumentum ad popularem.

I will not let the forces of darkness and ignorance scare an the populace with their irrationalism and reduce the quality of life that women in America have. You have no right to hurt the women in my family.

You didn't even read this article, and you should be shot for caring so little about women.

virtually all the experts are against the government guidelines

All of WHAT experts? Maybe a few doctors who are scared of losing this valuable source of revenue that is accrued based on scaring women and reducing their quality of life?

And THE GOVERNMENT did not make this decision, a panel of experts did. This is just another piece of fearmongering populist trash.

you should ask krugman though, i know your heart will not be settled until he speaks on the issue

This is Rebecca Watson.

Last edited:
Yes. Many major health and advocacy organizations cheered the panel's recommendations while others scoffed. The American College of Internal Medicine, the National Breast Cancer Coalition, the National Women's Health Network and SHARE, a national organization of breast and ovarian cancer survivors, favor the panel's conclusions that too many women are unnecessarily tested and retested and biopsied based on false positives. The American Cancer Society, the advocacy foundation Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American College of Radiology oppose them, saying early detection remains the key to surviving breast cancer.

http://www.newsday.com/news/making-sense-of-the-new-breast-cancer-guidelines-1.1615579

Yurt, I am scared about who your "experts" are. Apparently they don't include the National Breast Cancer coalition. Who's your expert again? Glenn Beck? Rush Limbaugh? Some political columnist?

http://www.newsday.com/news/making-sense-of-the-new-breast-cancer-guidelines-1.1615579

Yurt, I am scared about who your "experts" are. Apparently they don't include the National Breast Cancer coalition. Who's your expert again? Glenn Beck? Rush Limbaugh? Some political columnist?

lmao, from your squib of your link:

The American Cancer Society, the advocacy foundation Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American College of Radiology oppose them, saying early detection remains the key to surviving breast cancer.

:palm:

are you actually advocating that the above are not experts....lol

National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) Response

Response from the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. to the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force’s Recommendations on Breast Self-Exams and Mammograms
At 34 years old, I felt a lump while performing a breast self-exam. Concerned, I got a mammogram that detected breast cancer. If it had not been for a breast self-exam and a mammogram, I would not be alive today and the National Breast Cancer Foundation would not exist.

This recent recommendation by the US Preventive Services Task Force is dangerous because it suggests that women lay down their best weapon in the fight against breast cancer, which is early detection.

The facts are indisputable. Early Detection saves lives. Start your plan now at www.nbcf.org/edp and tell someone you love to make sure they have an Early Detection Plan.

Janelle Hail
Founder & CEO
National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.

Notable Quotes

The American Cancer Society released a statement specifically saying:
“With its new recommendations, the Task Force is essentially telling women that mammography at age 40 to 49 save lives; just not enough of them.”

Dr. Therese Bevers, Professor of Clinical Cancer Prevention, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, CNN:
“We disagree with their conclusions,” Dr. Therese Bevers said of the task force. “You have to screen more women. It’s the value we put on zero women dying.”

Daniel B. Kopans, Radiology Professor at Harvard Medical School, Washington Post:
“Tens of thousands of lives are being saved by mammography screening, and these idiots want to do away with it,” said Daniel B. Kopans, a radiology professor at Harvard Medical School. “It’s crazy -- unethical, really.”

http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-response/

lmao, from your squib of your link:

The American Cancer Society, the advocacy foundation Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American College of Radiology oppose them, saying early detection remains the key to surviving breast cancer.

:palm:

are you actually advocating that the above are not experts....lol

The American College of Internal Medicine, the National Breast Cancer Coalition, the National Women's Health Network and SHARE, a national organization of breast and ovarian cancer survivors,

Are you saying that these are not experts?

And the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American College of Radiology both have financial incentives to support the old guidelines, much more direct incentives than the imaginary ones you link to this independent health panel, 50% of whom were women.

National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) Response

Response from the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc. to the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force’s Recommendations on Breast Self-Exams and Mammograms
At 34 years old, I felt a lump while performing a breast self-exam. Concerned, I got a mammogram that detected breast cancer. If it had not been for a breast self-exam and a mammogram, I would not be alive today and the National Breast Cancer Foundation would not exist.

This recent recommendation by the US Preventive Services Task Force is dangerous because it suggests that women lay down their best weapon in the fight against breast cancer, which is early detection.

The facts are indisputable. Early Detection saves lives. Start your plan now at www.nbcf.org/edp and tell someone you love to make sure they have an Early Detection Plan.

Janelle Hail
Founder & CEO
National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-response/

No guidelines say that there should be yearly screenings for those under 40 - that would be insane. And the American Cancer society dropped recommendation for routine self-breast examines long ago.

If you find a lump, get a mammogram, but there's no need for routine mammograms before the age of 40. It causes more harm than good.

post 7

i never said they were not experts....i said the majority of experts are opposed to the guidelines....

you stupidly claimed i had no experts except glenn beck, when if you actually read your own post you would have realized that you posted experts who do not agree....

i suggest you read post 7 and stop politicizing this

No guidelines say that there should be yearly screenings for those under 40 - that would be insane. And the American Cancer society dropped recommendation for routine self-breast examines long ago.

If you find a lump, get a mammogram, but there's no need for routine mammograms before the age of 40. It causes more harm than good.

this issue is not under so much for those under 40, it is those in the 40-49 range....do you even understand the issue?

i noticed you cut out all the other doctors who do not support the guidelines.....:rolleyes:

if you click the link, there are more doctors opposed to the guidelines

this issue is not under so much for those under 40, it is those in the 40-49 range....do you even understand the issue?

And she supported her statement by saying that her life was saved at 34 by a mammogram. It's one of the emotional arguments the other side often makes, but it's not applicable in this instance.

I'm sure if women's partners were encouraged to take an active role in detection that would save lives and cost absolutely nothing. Sometimes we overlook a safe, easy and, if I may add, appealing alternative.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

http://skepchick.org/blog/2009/11/n...ncer-guidelines-arent-patronizing/#more-10537

November 18th, 2009 by Rebecca · 38 Comments

A US government task force recently came out with new guidelines for breast cancer screening, suggesting that women shouldn’t bother getting checked until the age of 50. The American Cancer Society currently recommends women start screening at 40.
Feministing reported this as “New patronizing guidelines for mammograms have been implemented by a government task force, recommending that women over 40 shouldn’t get routine mammograms because of certain risks like women’s “anxiety,”" which made me sigh sadly, because it is bullshit.
They link to Feminist Law Professors, who writes this about the subject:
A government task force claims that women don’t need to have routine screening for breast cancer until age 50. (See the AP story here.) But the American Cancer Society recommends routine mammograms for women 40 and over.
The commenters at Feministing quickly jumped in to correct the original poster, but at FLP things only got sillier. Because these are usually good sources of intelligent information, I wanted to post this to reassure women who might be thinking along similar lines: these guidelines are not patronizing and they are based upon real data that suggest women will be better off this way. Here are a few points to bear in mind:
A government task force claims that women don’t need to have routine screening for breast cancer until age 50.
No. The task force recommends that most women don’t need it until the age of 50, but stipulates that “The decision to start regular, biennial screening mammography before the age of 50 years should be an individual one and take patient context into account, including the patient’s values regarding specific benefits and harms.” In other words, if you have risk factors, then your doctor may recommend you begin earlier.
But the American Cancer Society recommends routine mammograms for women 40 and over.
The ACS’s guidelines are twenty years old. The task force’s recommendation was just released, based on updated data and learning from the past 20 years. As a side note, the ACS does not recommend self-examination, and the World Health Organization recommends beginning screenings at age 50.
Interesting that those are listed in the reverse order of their relative importance. The basic fact of the matter is that current evidence shows that we do not save more lives by screening all women before the age of 50. These screenings only contribute to more false positives, which in turn causes an incredible amount of anxiety. Have you ever been told you have cancer? Kind of upsetting, I’d imagine.
Okay, sure. This panel of doctors will immediately stop trying to improve lives and safeguard women’s health and immediately get going on lowering your taxes. That’s a red herring, in which completely unrelated issues are introduced in order to distract from the issue at hand.
It should be quite clear by now that the anxiety doesn’t come from the inconvenience and pain of the mammography machine, but in being told you have cancer when you do not.
The first commenter at FLP says:
Just who is this government task force? Probably a bunch of men… Why havent they given the people an updated stating that men should only be screened for testicular cancer when they turn 50?
CD Dorsey
Obviously, CD didn’t bother to actually read the linked article or do the slightest bit of research, which is exactly why I’m writing this post. So many people read something online and immediately believe whatever it is, not even pausing long enough to click a link. To those of you who are reading this right now, please do not believe me. Click the links. Thanks.
To answer CD, the vice chair of the task force is quoted in the AP article:
“The benefits are less and the harms are greater when screening starts in the 40s,” said Dr. Diana Petitti, vice chair of the panel.
I’m going to guess Diana is a woman. Of course you could always visit the web site of the US Preventative Services Task Force to see that at least 8 out of 16 members are women (I’m not including one “Sandy” who could be a man or a woman), but that took all of 30 seconds so I can see how one would shy from doing that.
So, kudos to the Feministing crowd for sticking up for evidence-based medicine in the comments section. Hopefully, that kind of rational thinking will influence future posts on women’s health.

And she supported her statement by saying that her life was saved at 34 by a mammogram. It's one of the emotional arguments the other side often makes, but it's not applicable in this instance.

it is applicable, and its anecdotal....any anecdotal argument here is of course going to be emotional, the issue is an emotional one as it deals with life and death....

you still can't get around the fact that the majority believe the guidelines are bad, you try to mock my experts when in fact you listed ones i was going to list in your reply....

i don't think you really understand this issue or who is for or against it

That's nothing but your opinion, from your admittedly biased perspective.

lol....i'm biased, but you're not

what evidence do you have that i am biased? and pray tell how you think you are not.....

you haven't presented anything BUT opinions

your post smacks of blatent hypocrisy watermark

Back