No New Course in Iraq

OrnotBitwise

Watermelon
It's almost official now: Bush is not going to make any real policy changes with respect to Iraq. Damn the election results, full speed ahead! We can -- and will, I'm sure -- speculate endlessly about his motives and thinking (sic) but the writing's on the wall people. Read it and . . . do whatever seems appropriate. Thought I'd leave The Gaff and Beetle Bailey some wiggle room there.

Did you read Gates' remarks from Iraq? What a crock. I was all set to write a scathing deconstruction when I discovered that William Arkin at the Washington Post had already done it for me. I'm a lazy S.O.B. at heart so I'll let him do the work. I've put a link to the full column at the end but here's what I believe to be the most relevent portion:
Thinking strategically, what is Gates saying?

He is paving the way for the President to say in January that the Iraq Study Group didn't have a complete understanding of the Iraqi situation and that they did not fully understand both the commitment of the Iraqi government to create security and the progress they are making.

Surge or no surge, it is now clear that Gates has already made up his mind: we cannot withdraw. Not when the Iraqis are doing so well!

Gates spoke yesterday of the "progress of the Iraqi government in its own -- not only in its own commitment but in its thinking about how to address some of these security issues."

He spoke of "the desire of the Iraqi government to take a leadership role in addressing some of the challenges that face the country" and their desire to "show that leadership to the Iraqi people."

Election mandate or not, Gates will stand firm with the President that the United States can not withdraw now or any time soon. Not when such "progress" is being made!
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2006/12/gates_disses_the_troops_and_th.html?nav=rss_blog

well its just speculation at this point
Wanna bet on it?
204.gif

I don't bet either, but I agree with Ornot.

The first piece is already moving into play. Bush wants to send more troops....
The too Rice was just talking to them and I saw her on PBS last night and she pretty much said stay the course.

Back