No new minimum wage yet...

leaningright

conservative democrat
Staff member
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democrats' promise of a quick increase in the minimum wage ran aground Wednesday in the Senate, where lawmakers are insisting it include new tax breaks for restaurants and other businesses that rely on low-pay workers.

On a 54-43 vote, proponents lost an effort to advance a House-passed bill that would lift the pay floor from $5.15 to $7.25 an hour without any accompanying tax cut. Opponents of the tax cut needed 60 votes to prevail.

The vote sent a message to House and Senate Democrats that only a hybrid tax and minimum wage package could succeed in the Senate. But any tax breaks in the bill would put the Senate on a collision course with the House, which is required by the Constitution to initiate tax measures.

In a separate vote, the Senate also effectively killed a modified line-item veto bill. The Republican-inspired measure would have permitted a president to pluck individual items out of spending bills and submit them to Congress for a vote.

Ohh, what happened to all that republican bi-partisanship I keep hearing about ?
Silly me I forgot it only works one way, to the repubs advantage....

a suggestion. the repubs issist on tax cuts and Bush committed to oil consumption reduction. So lets make all the tax cuts to promote alternative energy use/production, Purchase of higher mileage autos, energy efficiency, etc... Give a tax deduction that will make the purchase of a hybrid vehicle cost comparable to a guzzler to buy. Also give a graduated scale type of cut based on the mileage of the vehicle that you buy.

Win_Win !!!

Last edited:
Republicans cry bipartisinship when they are trying to pass one of there own bills, but sit silent when the Democrats are trying to pass somthing.

I am sure they will make full use of the fillabuster now after calling its use unamerican!

Republicans cry bipartisinship when they are trying to pass one of there own bills, but sit silent when the Democrats are trying to pass somthing.

I am sure they will make full use of the fillabuster now after calling its use unamerican!
Rubbish, they requested a compromise that was rejected. The bipartisanship was rejected from those in power, not those in the minority.

Back