Non-Theists: do you ever wish god did exist?

Rationalist

Hail Voltaire
On a scale of one to seven -- one representing firm belief in God, and seven representing absolute certainty that God doesn't exist -- where do you land? Richard Dawkins places himself at 6. I think I would fall somewhere in that neighborhood as well; that is to say, I am fairly certain that there are no gods.

Leaving faith behind was one of the most joyous, liberating experiences of my life. Still, I think I understand more than ever before why most people choose to believe in god. The thought of being reunited with my wife, family, and friends is indeed very pleasant.

Of course, wishing won't make it so. Just as children must give up belief in magic or Santa Claus, so every adult must reach a point when they accept that god does not exist. This is the rational, mature thing to do. But it doesn't make life any easier.

Have any of you dealt with this?

About a four. I don't know if a deities and/or gods exist, and don't expect to know any time soon. While these are not matters I tend to concern myself with, I do wish I had an understanding past what we can experience on an emotional/intellectual/material level.

Yes I much rather there was a god even if he was a huge dick because then all I would have to do is follow his silly rules and I get to live forever in paradise. That would rock.

On a scale of one to seven -- one representing firm belief in God, and seven representing absolute certainty that God doesn't exist -- where do you land? Richard Dawkins places himself at 6. I think I would fall somewhere in that neighborhood as well; that is to say, I am fairly certain that there are no gods.

Leaving faith behind was one of the most joyous, liberating experiences of my life. Still, I think I understand more than ever before why most people choose to believe in god. The thought of being reunited with my wife, family, and friends is indeed very pleasant.

Of course, wishing won't make it so. Just as children must give up belief in magic or Santa Claus, so every adult must reach a point when they accept that god does not exist. This is the rational, mature thing to do. But it doesn't make life any easier.

The way god is represented by the major religions, I wish no part of that god.

If there is a being that created the universe, that god I would love to meet, I have many questions!

I would put myself at a 5. It is hard to overcome 40 years of indoctrination.

It doesn't help much in my religion. We only have eternal madness to look forward to. Not very comforting. But it does make life more worth living. Might as well enjoy it while I can and I still have my lovely wife. There is no beer in R'lyeh

I put myself at about a 2.5.

I definitely believe in God, but I have a hard time with how most religions represent the Deity. The way he's represented is from a micromanaging/ authoritarian/fear-based standpoint. I think that an all powerful being that can read the hearts and minds of all of us, wouldn't be concerned with many of the things that the devout get worked up about.

I also believe that religion is very much cultural and I can't wrap my head around the idea that God would send a Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, or anyone of faith to burn in Hell because of their cultural upbringing and religious indoctrination.

In fact, in the Hebrew and Greek texts of the bible, there's no mention of a place of ETERNAL punishment.

I would be a 1 and a 7 both. I do have firm belief in what could only be defined as "god" but I do not believe this "god" exists physically. When we ask, "Does God exist" it denotes an assumption that God can exist in a physical sense, in this dimension, or that we experience a physical presence after we die, where we are reunited with loved ones. Atheists often chortle that there is no proof of God, and they are correct, nor should we expect physical proof for something that doesn't physically exist.

The question should be, is there some other outside force or energy, or even intelligence, which is responsible for the human spirit? I happen to realize this is true, that some force is present in the universe, which does not physically exist, which guides my life, and has been doing so for over 20 years. I don't know for sure, but I could imagine it might be the same exact force which caused Abraham to form beliefs in God and everything that followed. Perhaps it's the inspirational force behind ALL human religion and spirituality? I don't need to determine that in order to benefit from the greatness of the force, I only have to believe the force is present and I can utilize it. Which I do.

I don't care if others "believe" in the force, I don't need to prove anything, it does not matter to this force or myself, if anyone else comprehends it or uses it for their benefit, or if everyone realizes its potential.

I would be a 1 and a 7 both. I do have firm belief in what could only be defined as "god" but I do not believe this "god" exists physically. When we ask, "Does God exist" it denotes an assumption that God can exist in a physical sense, in this dimension, or that we experience a physical presence after we die, where we are reunited with loved ones. Atheists often chortle that there is no proof of God, and they are correct, nor should we expect physical proof for something that doesn't physically exist.

The question should be, is there some other outside force or energy, or even intelligence, which is responsible for the human spirit? I happen to realize this is true, that some force is present in the universe, which does not physically exist, which guides my life, and has been doing so for over 20 years. I don't know for sure, but I could imagine it might be the same exact force which caused Abraham to form beliefs in God and everything that followed. Perhaps it's the inspirational force behind ALL human religion and spirituality? I don't need to determine that in order to benefit from the greatness of the force, I only have to believe the force is present and I can utilize it. Which I do.

I don't care if others "believe" in the force, I don't need to prove anything, it does not matter to this force or myself, if anyone else comprehends it or uses it for their benefit, or if everyone realizes its potential.

How do you know this force is not a delusion? When I finally reached the point where I accepted that no god/spirit/force exists, I realized that I'd been talking to and depending on an imaginary friend my entire life. That was a very hard conclusion to reach...and still is, sometimes, but it is also liberating and empowering. YOU are in control of your life; YOU determine your own destiny; YOU can make the world a better place; etc.

How do you know this force is not a delusion? When I finally reached the point where I accepted that no god/spirit/force exists, I realized that I'd been talking to and depending on an imaginary friend my entire life. That was a very hard conclusion to reach...and still is, sometimes, but it is also liberating and empowering. YOU are in control of your life; YOU determine your own destiny; YOU can make the world a better place; etc.

I never said the energy force controls my life or determines my destiny. I know it is real because I have experienced the benefits from its amazing power, on many occasions. I've proven to myself it's not a delusion, because I have tested those waters by ignoring it or in some cases, going against it for my own selfish motivations. I find my life is much less chaotic and much more in control, when I pay attention to this guiding force. I'm a much happier and content human being, I don't suffer from being depressed, I have clarity in my direction as a person. As a result, I am more motivated to do good things, to help others, to be a better person. Whenever I face some major adversity in my life, I have discovered that I can meditate and 'connect' with the force, which provides me with the inner strength to overcome the adversity. Dozens of instances, some pretty hopeless, and it has never let me down. So when people ask me "do you believe in god?" I laugh, because I KNOW God, or at least, what I call "god."

Is Heaven or Hell real? Are we judged after we die? I have no way of knowing these things, and the universal force I recognize as God, doesn't compel me to subscribe to man-made religious dogma. I suppose it's entirely possible that our spiritual presence moves on after we die, perhaps to another dimension, and perhaps the manner in which we have utilized this energy to help ourselves and others, plays some role in where we go after we die, but I'll just have to wait until I die to find that out. For now, I fully understand and respect the positive energy force that I know is present. You are free to believe in this force or not believe, but you'll never convince me it's not there, it's like trying to tell you that your mother doesn't exist.

Back