Not a joke - is there some weird medical phobia of poor people?

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
I think I honestly have this inner detest of poor people. I was at my friends house last night player a poker tournament. He's poor, and his friends are poor. After being there for a little bit I get very uneasy and I didn't want to be there anymore, because I was in a poor setting.

This has happened in other settings to when Im surrounded by a lower socio economic class. I'm not trying to be a dick but I can't help it, and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of something like this before.

Something wrong with you? Lord no! Poor people are less than human. You should get your local zoning board to increase lot minimums and require new homes to have four bedrooms. This will ensure your children will be able to enjoy the community without the riff raff

I think I honestly have this inner detest of poor people. I was at my friends house last night player a poker tournament. He's poor, and his friends are poor. After being there for a little bit I get very uneasy and I didn't want to be there anymore, because I was in a poor setting.

This has happened in other settings to when Im surrounded by a lower socio economic class. I'm not trying to be a dick but I can't help it, and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of something like this before.

Well, you've never done any little thing to not be poor. You're not poor because your daddy isn't poor. You've yet to prove to yourself that, left to your own devices, you are capable of being anything other than poor.

So, my, not uneducated guess, is that fear is driving your response.

Well, you've never done any little thing to not be poor. You're not poor because your daddy isn't poor. You've yet to prove to yourself that, left to your own devices, you are capable of being anything other than poor.

I think Darla hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Without the background and support you have, thanks to your parents, there's no guarantee that on your own you would merit a financially comfortable lifestyle or career. Anyone of us is potentially capable of falling into poverty or destitution, if we hadn't had strong financial, emotional, and physical support systems provided by others.

somewhat OT:
It always amazes me that some people that are unemployed are so freaking lazy that they don't even take care of what little they have. If i didn't have a job and was given back 60hours a week to do what I want my positions would be spotless and my body would be in the best shape ever.

Capable people are often unnerved by what they perceive as unnecessary pain. The people seem at least as capable, but apply themselves so differently that they wind up in what can only be termed as squalor.

This can be particularly pronounced among those who 'escaped' that lifestyle because of what they fully understand that the only difference between them and those left behind is in how they applied themselves.

Don't let them all project onto you some of their own guilt for the ease of their success, get introspective and figure out what it is that does bother you, you'll be better for it in the end.

Very possibly a good portion of his feelings.

There is also a curious freedom in the situation of what some may see as poverty. I bet this is another aspect of his uncomfortable feelings arround these people.

When you own very little physical things in this world there is this odd freedom you have. You can invision walking away from any situation you may be in. You can walk away with the clothes on your back and be leaving very little behind. You carry within you the tools to make your life and the physical stuff can be so easily replaced. I think its why some of the great religions leader practiced poverty as a mental tool.

Does grind just feel guilty for taking his poor friends money in poker ? Hmm not many seemed to pick up on the poor/poker link....

When you own very little physical things in this world there is this odd freedom you have. You can invision walking away from any situation you may be in. You can walk away with the clothes on your back and be leaving very little behind. You carry within you the tools to make your life and the physical stuff can be so easily replaced. I think its why some of the great religions leader practiced poverty as a mental tool.

That's so true. I was trying to encourage my younger cousin to go study art history in Greece like he wants to but he's so focused on all his 'things'.

That's so true. I was trying to encourage my younger cousin to go study art history in Greece like he wants to but he's so focused on all his 'things'.
He'll regret that. Sitting around with a bunch of things only makes you realize how much you missed living.

It's why I got married so much later than all my friends... I was amassing experiences that I sought, not things.

It works great when you are young and you have your entire life before you.

You learn to trust your own ability.

The wierd thing is as I age I envision less and less things I will have arround me.

I am really kinda glad I dont have any major family heirlooms to worry about. There really are cool benifits to being raised poor that you wouldnt think of at first blush.

It works great when you are young and you have your entire life before you.

You learn to trust your own ability.

The wierd thing is as I age I envision less and less things I will have arround me.

I am really kinda glad I dont have any major family heirlooms to worry about. There really are cool benifits to being raised poor that you wouldnt think of at first blush.

Yep you "need" lots less stuff as you get older.

Back