Nuke yourself to health?

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
Does Microwaving Veggies Kill the Nutrients?

Does microwaving "kill" nutrients? What about other cooking methods? What's the best way to cook food for maximum nutrition? We wanted to know, so we went to SHAPE's diet doctor, Mike Roussell, PhD, to get the scoop. Here's what he had to say:

Despite what you might read on the Internet, microwaving your food does not "kill" nutrients. In fact, it can make certain nutrients more available to your body . In terms of the impact on your food's nutrients, microwaving is the equivalent of sautéing or heating up in a pan (just a lot more convenient). Research on this topic shows that whenever you cook greens (broccoli, spinach, etc), some of the B vitamins and other water-soluble vitamins are lost. The amount you lose depends on the duration and rigor in which the food is cooked-steaming broccoli in the microwave for 90 seconds is a lot different than nuking it for five minutes. Another example: Sautéing green beans in a pan allows for much better vitamin retention than if you were to boil them. Boiling leaches the most nutritients out of your food, so with the exception of potatoes, try to avoid boiling your vegetables.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/does-microwaving-veggies-kill-nutrients-190700707.html

i don't know, this is not going to change my custom of cooking vegetables the old fashion way. i don't nuke anything except left overs.

It said it's roughly equivalent to sauteeing. It's just pointing out that normal cooking and microwave cooking have a roughly equal effect on the nutrients. There's a lot of people on the internet who will say that microwaving does something specially horrible to the vegetables, and this is nonsense.

A lot of it is caused by confusion about what "radiation" is. Radiation brings to mind thoughts of ionizing radiation - gamma rays, x-rays, and such. However, that's very high frequency electromagnetic radiation - radioactive is not the same thing as radiation. It's important to note that light itself is radiation, just at a lower frequency than ionizing radiation. And microwaves are at an even lower frequency than that. So the light you are basking in right now is actually closer to being a gamma ray than microwaves. Certain frequencies of microwaves just have properties that cause them to vibrate and heat food.

1. i love watermark. he can take a thread about, pretty much, nothing and turn it into a debate.

2. you can reheat pizza capt! though it does taste better in the toaster oven.

3. nuke cooking, WM, had a major fear factor since it's inception.

1. i love watermark. he can take a thread about, pretty much, nothing and turn it into a debate.

2. you can reheat pizza capt! though it does taste better in the toaster oven.

3. nuke cooking, WM, had a major fear factor since it's inception.

Reheating pizza should be an executable offense.

A lot of soups and stews taste better the second time they are heated.
In general though, I agree with you, and I almost never reheat meat, preffering to eat it cold rather than wreck it by reheating.

Soup is an exception to the rule.

Does Microwaving Veggies Kill the Nutrients?

Does microwaving "kill" nutrients? What about other cooking methods? What's the best way to cook food for maximum nutrition? We wanted to know, so we went to SHAPE's diet doctor, Mike Roussell, PhD, to get the scoop. Here's what he had to say:

Despite what you might read on the Internet, microwaving your food does not "kill" nutrients. In fact, it can make certain nutrients more available to your body . In terms of the impact on your food's nutrients, microwaving is the equivalent of sautéing or heating up in a pan (just a lot more convenient). Research on this topic shows that whenever you cook greens (broccoli, spinach, etc), some of the B vitamins and other water-soluble vitamins are lost. The amount you lose depends on the duration and rigor in which the food is cooked-steaming broccoli in the microwave for 90 seconds is a lot different than nuking it for five minutes. Another example: Sautéing green beans in a pan allows for much better vitamin retention than if you were to boil them. Boiling leaches the most nutritients out of your food, so with the exception of potatoes, try to avoid boiling your vegetables.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/does-microwaving-veggies-kill-nutrients-190700707.html

i don't know, this is not going to change my custom of cooking vegetables the old fashion way. i don't nuke anything except left overs.
Microwaving vegetables would be akin to steaming them. As long as you don't put them in a bowl of water and boil them to death you'll preserve nutritional value, particularly vitamins, enzymes and co-enzymes. That is as long as you don't over heat. Over heating any food can destroy nutritional value.

Back