NY divorce law

uscitizen

Villified User
Unhappy Matrimony: NY Divorce Law

By NAHAL TOOSI
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chana and Simon Taub can't stand each other.

He claims she is a gold-digging liar. She claims he abused her. Things got so nasty during their divorce case that a court-ordered wall was put up in the feuding spouses' Brooklyn house to keep them apart.

It would seem like an open-and-shut divorce case, with no shortage of reasons to justify ending the marriage once and for all. But it is never that easy in New York, where you can get just about anything except a fast, blameless divorce.

New York is the only state that won't allow the speedy dissolution of a marriage without proof that one spouse is somehow at fault, experts say. Adultery is sufficient grounds, but irreconcilable differences are not. "He beats me" (with proof) works, but "We grew apart" doesn't cut it.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DIVORCE_IN_NY?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I like the places that let you divorce by saying it 3 times :)

don't they have vending machines for divorces in Vegas ?
Or are they still doing it the old fashioned drive thru way ?

Actually, there was a guy in Saudi Arabia who said "Divorce, divorce, divorce" three times IN HIS SLEEP, and this was counted as a legal divorce for the wife.

But I say, why the hell wouldn't the guy go to Mexico? You can get your divorce almost instantly there.

Which is odd, being that Mexico is a very religiously Catholic country (I don't believe Catholics still even really believe in divorce), and the US is a very liberal, protestant country that has pretty much always allowed divorce.

I like the places that let you divorce by saying it 3 times :)

don't they have vending machines for divorces in Vegas ?
Or are they still doing it the old fashioned drive thru way ?
Steve Martin had a routine - "Where I combe from we just say 'I break with thee! I break with thee! I break with thee!' an than throw doggy poopy ona there shuz.

Back