NY Times publisher on journalism and democracy

BidenPresident

Verified User
So is the Times pro-democracy?

Of course. The Times serves the cause of the truth. An informed public, we believe, is the most important ingredient in a healthy democracy. We believe a common fact base is the most important ingredient in a democracy. Independent journalism—I don’t believe it’s nihilistic or amoral or valueless. If you look up the classic tenets of liberal democracy, it’s about rule of law, equality, and human rights.

You would never see a story in the New York Times—or The New Yorker, for that matter—that argued against those things. You know, “Some say that everyone should have to obey the laws; others say that only the poor should.”

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/t...battles-within-and-against-the-new-york-times

So is the Times pro-democracy?

Of course. The Times serves the cause of the truth. An informed public, we believe, is the most important ingredient in a healthy democracy. We believe a common fact base is the most important ingredient in a democracy. Independent journalism—I don’t believe it’s nihilistic or amoral or valueless. If you look up the classic tenets of liberal democracy, it’s about rule of law, equality, and human rights.

You would never see a story in the New York Times—or The New Yorker, for that matter—that argued against those things. You know, “Some say that everyone should have to obey the laws; others say that only the poor should.”

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/t...battles-within-and-against-the-new-york-times
I have a subscription to the NYT.
Good rag if you don’t pay attention to he political articles.

I have a subscription to the NYT.
Good rag if you don’t pay attention to he political articles.

If by political articles you're talking about their editorial content, I think you are spot on even though we probably disagree on their editorial content :) The old time print newspapers are pretty much the last bastion of responsible, ethical journalism. We watched 'She Said' the other night, putting aside the political aspects of me too, the movie highlights the pain staking rigor of getting a story not only right, but unimpeachable. Contrast that to some of these websites that do zero fact checking and have editorial comment in every 'article' they publish.

I have on-line subscriptions to NYT, Washington Post, Economist, a few others. They stand in sharp contrast to Daily Kos and gateway pundit to name just two.

There are a few full time trolls here. Some are better than others. Some are worthy of admiration. But most are really bad at it. There are some people here who are serious posters. But most are a combination of both. Some lean much more heavily on trolling, especially when their factual arguments go south. I fall firmly in the 'both' category. The trick to navigating a forum like this is being honest and objective about how and what you post and what others post. Most people would never, ever admit to trolling, but that's largely because they are not self aware. Just my two cents.

Back