APP - nyc decides not to guard city from monster storms like sandy

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
apparently they want congress to fund a study on what to do and do not want to block views of the ocean

Think Sandy was just a 100-year storm that devastated New York City? Imagine one just as bad, or worse, every three years.
Prominent planners and builders say now is the time to think big to shield the city's core: a 5-mile barrier blocking the entryway to New York Harbor, an archipelago of man-made islets guarding the tip of Manhattan, or something like CDM Smith engineer Larry Murphy's 1,700-foot barrier — complete with locks for passing boats and a walkway for pedestrians — at the mouth of the Arthur Kill waterway between the borough of Staten Island and New Jersey.
Act now, before the next deluge, and they say it could even save money in the long run.
These strategies aren't just pipe dreams. Not only do these technologies already exist, some of the concepts have been around for decades and have been deployed successfully in other countries and U.S. cities.
So if the science and engineering are sound, the long-term cost would actually be a savings, and the frequency and severity of more killer floods is inevitable, what's the holdup?
Political will.

more at link

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-impact-nyc-act-block-future-surges-175541122--finance.html

instead of doing some stupid study and spending millions to come up with bullshit ideas, why don't they just follow denmarks example and build seawall protection barriers?

Let me guess? You think the private sector can do this better than the govt? Or do you think tax dollars should be used?

Let me guess? You think the private sector can do this better than the govt? Or do you think tax dollars should be used?
yes, the private sector could most likely do a better job due to accountability issues. however, I don't see a private company wanting to do this, so it would end up in government hands anyway but if they're gonna do something, that's my idea.....the seawalls that denmark uses to protect against tsunamis.

yes, the private sector could most likely do a better job due to accountability issues. however, I don't see a private company wanting to do this, so it would end up in government hands anyway but if they're gonna do something, that's my idea.....the seawalls that denmark uses to protect against tsunamis.
The private sector won't do it because there's no profit motive.

So should taxes be raised in order to accomplish this?

i do not care who does the work, just that ny does not want to do any prevention or mitigation
This type of storm may or may not be more apt to happen, especially considering the climate change issues.

I don't think anything short of huge seawalls would stop 40' waves from hitting the city if they did have another storm.

Back