Off road LED headlights suck

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
For some time now Chinese factories have been cranking out LED bulbs that fit in headlamps designed for halogen filament bulbs. Most of these are illegal for road use because the assembly doesn't produce a sharp enough cut off to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Sellers don't care, and the advertisements for the bulbs don't mention the illegality. I have yet to see any of the ads show an actual beam pattern against a solid wall.

China also makes retrofit for older sealed beams. The cheapest ones don't even try to produce a focused beam.

These are getting very common on the highway and I am constantly getting blinded by both oncoming and following traffic.

For some time now Chinese factories have been cranking out LED bulbs that fit in headlamps designed for halogen filament bulbs. Most of these are illegal for road use because the assembly doesn't produce a sharp enough cut off to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Sellers don't care, and the advertisements for the bulbs don't mention the illegality. I have yet to see any of the ads show an actual beam pattern against a solid wall.

China also makes retrofit for older sealed beams. The cheapest ones don't even try to produce a focused beam.

These are getting very common on the highway and I am constantly getting blinded by both oncoming and following traffic.

DAMNIT!!!

I was hoping this was a new floodlight feature that I hadn't heard about. :D

Don't you have dipped beams in the US?

Don't you have dipped beams in the US?

Of course we do. The standards used to be slightly different the Europe, but I think now they are identical. That doesn't stop retailers from selling "off road" equipment. Together with dumbasses who don't know, assholes who don't care, and piss poor enforcement, we have a real problem.

Of course we do. The standards used to be slightly different the Europe, but I think now they are identical. That doesn't stop retailers from selling "off road" equipment. Together with dumbasses who don't know, assholes who don't care, and piss poor enforcement, we have a real problem.

Most people don't know how to adjust their headlights, they just change bulbs thinking they don't move out of adjustment. Left side should be aimed low enough that it doesn't blind oncoming vehicles. Right side should be aimed more to the right and higher.

In the UK, all vehicles over four years old have to have an annual check. If they fail you cannot get car tax and you're likely to get caught by number plate recognition cameras. The test is pretty rigorous and headlight alignment is part of the test.

In the UK, all vehicles over four years old have to have an annual check. If they fail you cannot get car tax and you're likely to get caught by number plate recognition cameras. The test is pretty rigorous and headlight alignment is part of the test.

Here in the US it depends on the state. Most are like NC, an annual inspection is required regardless of age. Headlight aiming is part of it. That's when the dumbasses get caught, but no fine, they just have to buy legal bulbs. The assholes swap out their legal bulbs for the inspection and change back once they get home.

Most people don't know how to adjust their headlights, they just change bulbs thinking they don't move out of adjustment. Left side should be aimed low enough that it doesn't blind oncoming vehicles. Right side should be aimed more to the right and higher.

The best headlight system ever devised, in my opinion, is the xenon gas projector. The light source is a tiny arc (same as a welder) protected by the nobel gas. Parabolic reflector. The projector lense is a glass hemisphere. Between these is a metal gate to produce the horizontal cut off, which is slightly higher on the right side (or left side in the UK). For high beam, an electromagnet lowers the gate. Because of the intense downrange light, manufacturers are required to install these with a self levelling system, monitored by OBD2.

I first experienced these with my wife's 2011 BMW. Those also move based on steering wheel input. Then I had them on my 12 Jeep, and on my 18 Porsche. I also retrofitted into my daughter's 05 Mustang.

Unfortunately these systems are going out of favor to LEDs. I think that this is a big mistake since they seem to have a lot of glare when an equipped car is approaching me.

The problem is the LED light source is a flat panel, whereas the xenon arc is a "pure" light, radiating 360 degrees in both planes. That makes it very difficult to design a reflector for the LED, simple for the arc.

Very true but the only way to accurately adjust one's headlights is with a headlight aiming machine. There is an alternative chart one can use but less accurate.

The best headlight system ever devised, in my opinion, is the xenon gas projector. The light source is a tiny arc (same as a welder) protected by the nobel gas. Parabolic reflector. The projector lense is a glass hemisphere. Between these is a metal gate to produce the horizontal cut off, which is slightly higher on the right side (or left side in the UK). For high beam, an electromagnet lowers the gate. Because of the intense downrange light, manufacturers are required to install these with a self levelling system, monitored by OBD2.

I first experienced these with my wife's 2011 BMW. Those also move based on steering wheel input. Then I had them on my 12 Jeep, and on my 18 Porsche. I also retrofitted into my daughter's 05 Mustang.

Unfortunately these systems are going out of favor to LEDs. I think that this is a big mistake since they seem to have a lot of glare when an equipped car is approaching me.

The problem is the LED light source is a flat panel, whereas the xenon arc is a "pure" light, radiating 360 degrees in both planes. That makes it very difficult to design a reflector for the LED, simple for the arc.

Obviously, you're far more knowledgeable than I am about headlight systems.
For a moment there, you had me experiencing a domer moment, you know, a moment of bewilderment.

Very true but the only way to accurately adjust one's headlights is with a headlight aiming machine. There is an alternative chart one can use but less accurate.

I use my garage door, my driveway is level with my garage floor.

For a moment there, you had me experiencing a domer moment, you know, a moment of bewilderment.

It's not all that difficult once you see a xenon projector. I'm planning a retrofit into my 64 Third, so might be able to post some pictures.

I use the dead end street near my house. One of the neighbors always has a car parked there, pointed towards me. I park about 100' away and aim the cut off for the base of the windshield.

Here's what a xenon projector set up consists of.

The first pic is the bulb. It's DS1 or 2, I can't recall now. The pic is a bit out of focus but you can see the external electrode on the right side that does a 180 back to the glass. It and the bottom are at a set gap within the enter bulb, and the bulb is filled with Xenon. The manufacturer can adjust a mixture of impurities to give it a range of colors. I prefer 5000K, which is on the yellow side of pure white.

The next pic is the projector assembly. The cast aluminum reflector on the left, projector lens on the right and the cut off between.

The last is the ballast. It's a little computer that controls voltage to the bulb to start the arc then maintain it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_093231446.jpg
    IMG_20191109_093231446.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191109_093104021.jpg
    IMG_20191109_093104021.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20191109_093325629.jpg
    IMG_20191109_093325629.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
Here's three more pics of my little project.

The first is an LED headlamp (right side) currently installed. It provides some cut off, but I'm not at all happy with the uneven light pattern. A standard H4 lamp (high beam) is next to it. I want to replace the LED lamp entirely. To do so I've chosen an H4 lamp assembly with a clear glass lense and a cast aluminum body (on order). I'll do major surgery on the body to fit the xenon reflector and shroud, get it lined up and make some assembly to keep it all together.

The H4, by the way, is made to replace the standard sealed beams that were required on all US cars for decades. Some are drop in, others (the better ones) require surgery to the buckets to make them fit.

Next pic is what a xenon projector looks like in a late model car. Mine will be similar, except a standard H4 shape.

The last is a shroud for the projector. These come in all shapes and colors, with or without daytime driving lights. These that I've chosen mimic late model Porsche with the four dots surrounding the projector. They also change from solid white to flashing amber when connected to the turn signals.

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_092634528.jpg
    IMG_20191109_092634528.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191109_092830481.jpg
    IMG_20191109_092830481.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191109_092951323.jpg
    IMG_20191109_092951323.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
Back