Official circlejerk thread

been stalking her have you?

Jessica Ennis has just won the gold in the Heptathlon, what a woman!! It is just amazing that a small Jamaican town can produce so many Olympic gold medals.

article-2183062-145C1D28000005DC-802_306x456.jpg

In the adrenalin-fuelled run-up to London 2012, Ennis has become the poster girl for the nation’s Olympic hopes.

But for 78-year-old Muriel Ennis, who left the small Jamaican town of Linstead for a better life in Sheffield in 1962, her grand-daughter’s Olympic debut marks the climax of a more personal success story. ‘I’m so proud of her,’ she told the Mail this week, speaking at her tiny apartment which has photographs of Ennis on the walls. ‘I love Jessica. She’s not a show-off. I call her cool.’

Muriel set off for Britain in 1962 with her late builder husband Winston, as part of a wave of Caribbean workers, later moving on to the US to care for a sick relative. Now the only thing that tarnishes her joy at her granddaughter’s progress is that asthma means she is not well enough to travel to London to see her compete.

Jessica is the daughter of Muriel and Winston’s son Vinnie – a 60-year-old painter and decorator – and social worker Alison Powell.But Muriel is convinced it is from her Jamaican family that Jessica inherited her steely determination. Linstead has already produced half a dozen Olympic gold medallists despite a population of just 14,000.

From her Derbyshire-born mother’s side of the family, Ennis inherited a strong work ethic. Her late great-grandfather, Raymond Ollerenshaw, was a sheep farmer awarded an OBE for services to farming. He was also a presenter on the television show One Man and His Dog.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ning-heptathlon-gold-thrilling-200m-race.html

Last edited:
Back