Oh yeah, overclocking a laptop

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
I noticed that things seemed to be running a little bit in slow motion on Okami (you can't frameskip PS2 games due to the needlessly complicated architecture, and console games stupidly align speed to framerate rather than having some sort of stable clock, so any time your framerates go down the game starts running in slow motion). So I overclocked my 2 Ghz processor to 2.5 Ghz. O_o

I used setfsb to overclock, hwmonitor to monitor temperatures, and orthos to stress the system to see if it was a stable overclock. At first I did an initial stress, looked over in hwmonitor, and amazingly found my temperatures rising to 85C when it wasn't overclocked (which would utterly destroy a desktop CPU and is very near the limit of a laptop one). So I stupidly blew on the vent, because I heard some retard talking about dust in vents, and amazingly the temperatures fell to about 65C while being stressed. So, after that, I kept on raising my clocks to what I felt was surely stupidly high speeds, and it never went above 71C (and I got no BSoD or errors from orthos). I finally stopped at 2.66 GHz. Then I noticed a "stress RAM" option on orthos. Well, that's funny. May as well try it out. Almost as soon as I press the button orthos turns red and shouts ERROR. So, stupidly, I press "start test" again. BSOD. So, after the computer restarts, I go to setfsb and lower speeds to about 2.6 ghz. I run Orthos again, stressing RAM, and it gives me an error after 4 minutes. Not wishing to repeat my previous mistake, I again lower the speed to about 2.53 Ghz, ran Orthos for about 30 minutes and didn't get any errors, checked temps and saw that they never went about 71C. So I called it a day. Okami no longer plays like a slideshow.

TL;DR fuck you

je3rYG.png

This is basically how I feel about life.

jezzkg.png

There's nothing as romantic as standing over your lovers (?) dead corpse, staring off into a vast empty wilderness of utter nihilism.

Last edited:
Nicely done. I used to overclock my CPUs, back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I had a K6-2 300Mhz (66MHz FSB x 4.5) that I ran at 400MHz (100MHz FSB x 4), which necessitated increasing the voltage from 2.2v to 2.5v and using a peltier.

Soon as they started locking the multipliers I was like, fuck it. Overclocking back then was rarely worth the time / effort / extra cooling hardware.

Did you increase the bus speed, multiplier, or a combination of both?

Nicely done. I used to overclock my CPUs, back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I had a K6-2 300Mhz (66MHz FSB x 4.5) that I ran at 400MHz (100MHz FSB x 4), which necessitated increasing the voltage from 2.2v to 2.5v and using a peltier.

Soon as they started locking the multipliers I was like, fuck it. Overclocking back then was rarely worth the time / effort / extra cooling hardware.

Did you increase the bus speed, multiplier, or a combination of both?

They lock multipliers on everything but specialty chips these days, so it was all increasing the FSB until my stress test started giving me errors or it got too hot. Since it's a laptop, you wouldn't want to increase the voltage, and I'm not going to be able to put any extra cooling in here, so it was all just finding the highest stable clockspeed at standard voltages. A 26% increase is pretty impressive with those limitations. But I had more problems with the RAM than the CPU, unfortunately. The CPU itself can handle 2.66 ghz, but increasing the FSB to achieve that speed mucks with the RAM, and the RAM becomes unstable above 2.5.

Last edited:
Overclocking is a lot easier these days, because the hardware comes with it's own thermometer and you can do it in software while you're stressing the hardware.

Actually, since the CPU is stable at 2.66 ghz, I'd be more interested in seeing how much I can under-volt the processor and still have stability. That will make it spew less heat. And if I can keep the heat of the system down, I just might be able to overclock the GPU a bit.

Back