On this day in 1944, the Allies invaded Normandy to bring down Nazism

Legion

Oderint dum metuant
L9NOpB0.jpg

I drove down the length of those beaches a few years back with my sons. Started at Ouistreham and ended at Pointe du Hoc. Fascinating journey, those beaches are very long, Omaha Beach is over 6 kms long. Sword Beach is even longer at 8km. What really amazed me though was the glider landing site beside Pegasus Bridge, how anybody landed a glider in that small area is beyond me, and to think they landed six Horsa gliders at night!

Last edited:
Yeah, except the USSR lost nearly 30 million people in the war and freed more death camps than the other Allied countries combined. But, you know, America did it all I guess.

Yeah, except the USSR lost nearly 30 million people in the war and freed more death camps than the other Allied countries combined. But, you know, America did it all I guess.

are you referring to the USSR that entered into a treaty with Hitler, which he broke when he invaded them?........most of the Russians killed in the war were civilians who died when he broke that deal (and the civilians Stalin killed shortly after the war ended)........

Russia held back some 140 German divisions that would otherwise have been amassed on the Western Front.

Back