'One in 10' attends church weekly in GB

uscitizen

Villified User
'One in 10' attends church weekly
Church
The survey found Northern Ireland was the most observant UK region
One in 10 people in the UK attend church every week and one in seven go once a month, according to research.

Christian charity Tearfund's survey of 7,000 people puts the UK among Europe's four least observant countries.

Two-thirds of those polled had not been to church in the last year, except for baptisms, weddings or funerals - but 53% identified themselves as Christian.

But Tearfund said nearly three million more people would attend regularly if given the "right invitation".

It said churches could do more to offer encouragement to potential worshippers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6520463.stm

I guess they need to start handing out door prizes :rolleyes:

My god doesn't have such an ego that he needs us common folk to get together and kiss his ass out of fear. In fact, I am part of my god. So are all you crazy liberals and neocons. :)

I'm surprised the figure is that high. There are three closed down churches on my short 20 minute walk to work. Two are now shops...

Most people put CoE down for religion in surveys etc, despite most not actually believing. I did until the 2000 cencus, when I put Jedi.

Britain is a sanctuary of atheism for the world... :-)

Church
One in 10 people in the UK attend church every week and one in seven go once a month, according to research.

Christian charity Tearfund's survey of 7,000 people puts the UK among Europe's four least observant countries.

Two-thirds of those polled had not been to church in the last year, except for baptisms, weddings or funerals - but 53% identified themselves as Christian.

But Tearfund said nearly three million more people would attend regularly if given the "right invitation".

I wonder what it is about America that makes us the way that we are, in comparison to most Western nations. I've always wanted to really delve into that history, and there are a lot of books out there that do so. One of these days I'm going to tackle it. It amazes me.

I wonder what it is about America that makes us the way that we are, in comparison to most Western nations. I've always wanted to really delve into that history, and there are a lot of books out there that do so. One of these days I'm going to tackle it. It amazes me.

I've heard a lot of theories.

The first amendment, and the incredible freedom of religion we have, combined with the fact that our churches have historically been autonomous from the government, has been healthy for the growth of churches in america.

Supposedly, the formal "State" religions in europe, were a much more corrupting influence on the status and prestige of religion in general. And State churches in europe have a long history of oppression and corruption.

Anyway, that's one theory I've read.

What about houses of study? At the Buddhist center that we go to, you don't "worship".

Not a problem. I've visited Buddhist centers.

Church

Coffee and donuts was the bribe at my local church...mpt enough of those around these days or what?

Coffee and donuts was the bribe at my local church...mpt enough of those around these days or what?

Frog, for the right donut, I could be enticed.

Post here sometimes will you? I miss you, and you'll have fun here. And people are nice here. Sometimes too nice. I can't pick a fight even when I'm trying. Well, maybe that's not true. But I have to really try! Ornot's not around this week, he is probably on another one of his vacations, that for some reason he feels that he can pick up and go on without informing me about it ahead of time. But he usually is. And cypress and I are. And Trog, though less often.

And people are nice here. Sometimes too nice. I can't pick a fight even when I'm trying. Well, maybe that's not true. But I have to really try!

I know! Isn't that annoying when someone writes a long winded retort that basicallly agrees with you when you're all fired up to rip someone to shreds?

I know! Isn't that annoying when someone writes a long winded retort that basicallly agrees with you when you're all fired up to rip someone to shreds?

Yes. Plus people are apologizing to me. What the hell is up with that? How can I get a good rip going if someone is going to be apologizing to me? And Damo isn't even that annoying anymore.

Yes. Plus people are apologizing to me. What the hell is up with that? How can I get a good rip going if someone is going to be apologizing to me? And Damo isn't even that annoying anymore.

Damo's not a good adversary. I've found that he's unfortunately a fundamentally good person with a strong moral base. He's pro-life and has an adoptive child. That pretty much shuts my ass up.

I've heard a lot of theories.

The first amendment, and the incredible freedom of religion we have, combined with the fact that our churches have historically been autonomous from the government, has been healthy for the growth of churches in america.

Supposedly, the formal "State" religions in europe, were a much more corrupting influence on the status and prestige of religion in general. And State churches in europe have a long history of oppression and corruption.

Anyway, that's one theory I've read.

The poverty in the south (up until the recent growth spurt since the 80's) probably contributed to bolstering up the numbers. People impoverished always go to church. Church is all about how you're irrelevant, and if you live in fear god will reward you. Poor people love that. That's probably why the numbers for blacks are so high, too.

But atheism increases with each successive generation. 5 times as many people born after 1980 are atheists compared with people born in the 50's. With the new generation in the south which grew up in relatively prosperity we can also expect the southern factor to mostly dissapear. Also, the south is becoming less isolated from the rest of the nation. Most people don't really even have accents now. And those that do - hell, just look at old tapes, and compare a 60's southern accent to a '00's one. The difference is rather amazing.

Damo's not a good adversary. I've found that he's unfortunately a fundamentally good person with a strong moral base. He's pro-life and has an adoptive child. That pretty much shuts my ass up.

Damo is a good guy, especially for a Republican ;)
We will always disagree on some things, but he has changed my view a bit on some subjects and I hope I have done the same for him.

Dangit... I'll try harder!

I'd start going to church if they cut out all the religious stuff, laid on a buffet and let you have more wine than just a sip supervised by a bloke in a frock.....

Back