One reason BP's profits were up ?

uscitizen

Villified User
BP 'is to blame for Texas blast'
BP's refinery in Texas
The shockwaves from the refinery blast are still being felt
British oil giant BP has been heavily criticised by US safety investigators over a refinery disaster that killed 15 workers in 2005.

According to the draft report from the US Chemical Safety Board, the blast was the result of lax safety culture at BP.

The report also said that the agency in charge of spotting safety problems had failed to see warning signs.

BP's Texas City plant south of Houston was hit by a fatal explosion in 2005, which also injured 180 people.

The UK oil company said on Tuesday that it disagreed strongly with parts of the report.

'Terrified'

According to the draft report, a number of factors contributed to the explosion including cost-cutting, worker fatigue, and a failure by the whole of BP's management to address safety issues.

Carolyn Merritt, chairman of the Chemical Safety Board (CSB), has said that the board had been "absolutely terrified" by the poor safety culture at the refinery.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6471787.stm

According to the draft report, a number of factors contributed to the explosion including cost-cutting, worker fatigue, and a failure by the whole of BP's management to address safety issues.

Carolyn Merritt, chairman of the Chemical Safety Board (CSB), has said that the board had been "absolutely terrified" by the poor safety culture at the refinery.

This makes me feel safe. I'm glad that in terms of chemical plants and homeland security, Bush decided to make security upgrades at american chemical plants "voluntary", and up to the discretion of petrochemical companies.

This makes me feel safe. I'm glad that in terms of chemical plants and homeland security, Bush decided to make security upgrades at american chemical plants "voluntary", and up to the discretion of petrochemical companies.

Don't worry, there's no danger to the general public. That's what they always said when there was any kind of leak out of Shoreham or Brookhaven out by me. They'd always run right out and release a statement to the press "no danger to the general public".

I always felt really relieved and safe too when I heard that.

all these voluntary compliance things have worked out so well haven't they ?
It worked sooo well for the credit card industry....
In fact they have worked so well lets just make federal income tax voluntary.
We don't need all that silly withholding and penalties, etc....

Last edited:
all these voluntary compliance things have worked out so well haven't they ?
It worked sooo well for the credit card industry....
In fact they have worked so well lets just make federal income tax voluntary.
We don't need all that silly withholding and penalties, etc....

Yes, USC. In general, business will never be able to voluntarily self-regulate, contrary to the dreams of rightwingers and extreme libertarians. There's obviously no point in crushing business with over-regulation - nobody wants to do that - , but profits can't come at the expense of adquate human safety and the environment.

Yes, USC. In general, business will never be able to voluntarily self-regulate, contrary to the dreams of rightwingers and extreme libertarians. There's obviously no point in crushing business with over-regulation - nobody wants to do that - , but profits can't come at the expense of adquate human safety and the environment.

Quite right, greed will always overpower if government does not intervene.

Back