Only In Los Angeles

RockX

Banned
[h=1]LACMA Rock Finally Opens to the Public.[/h]
rock2.jpg

"When the rock is installed, will I stand under it and experience its massive weight?" wondered artist Dai Toyofuku, when I spoke with him him back in March. "Will I feel like it might crush me?" The 340-ton granite boulder, soon to be the centerpiece of Michael Heizer's sculpture Levitated Mass, had just made it to LACMA from a Riverside quarry. It had taken ten nights of travel, moving at about 5 miles per hour, for it to get to L.A., where it rock would eventually be placed on two steel shelves above a long concrete trench on LACMA's campus. Visitors would be able to walk down underneath the megalith and, as they passed under and looked up, it would -- impossibly -- appear to levitate.

The transportation equipment, transportation process, manpower and construction of the trench all cost about 10 million donated dollars, and the rock's journey from Riverside to L.A. captivated people along its route.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2012/06/lacma_rock_levitated_mass_michael_heizer.php

:palm:

I cannot believe that many idiots would actually go, just to see a boulder. Guess I am not civilized enough to appreciate a boulder sitting on the ground.

[h=1]LACMA Rock Finally Opens to the Public.[/h]
rock2.jpg

"When the rock is installed, will I stand under it and experience its massive weight?" wondered artist Dai Toyofuku, when I spoke with him him back in March. "Will I feel like it might crush me?" The 340-ton granite boulder, soon to be the centerpiece of Michael Heizer's sculpture Levitated Mass, had just made it to LACMA from a Riverside quarry. It had taken ten nights of travel, moving at about 5 miles per hour, for it to get to L.A., where it rock would eventually be placed on two steel shelves above a long concrete trench on LACMA's campus. Visitors would be able to walk down underneath the megalith and, as they passed under and looked up, it would -- impossibly -- appear to levitate.

The transportation equipment, transportation process, manpower and construction of the trench all cost about 10 million donated dollars, and the rock's journey from Riverside to L.A. captivated people along its route.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2012/06/lacma_rock_levitated_mass_michael_heizer.php

:palm:

I cannot believe that many idiots would actually go, just to see a boulder. Guess I am not civilized enough to appreciate a boulder sitting on the ground.

No surprise there...

Back