Opt-Out of all Online Tracking

I haven't looked at that link yet, but it seems like BS to me. There's really no way to stop companies from tracking IP addresses. It's the nature of the Internet Protocol - it has to know where it's sending any response packets. Otherwise, it's like sending a letter without a return address and expecting them to write back! Even using a proxy they can still track your usage based on the proxy's IP address.

I haven't looked at that link yet, but it seems like BS to me. There's really no way to stop companies from tracking IP addresses. It's the nature of the Internet Protocol - it has to know where it's sending any response packets. Otherwise, it's like sending a letter without a return address and expecting them to write back! Even using a proxy they can still track your usage based on the proxy's IP address.

I checked it out~ It will do what it says , but also says you have to do it again everytime you empty cookies-which happens everytime you log out of this site.

I think that this just deletes (or disables) cookies from ad networks. Although your IP address is always open, just knowing someone's IP address isn't enough to track them. You have to be communicating with them to know what they're doing. Ad companies place special cookies in your browser than ping back to the home company when your on a page that has their ads on it, so they know that you visited the site. They use this to build a profile about you and target ads to you to make their business more profitable.

I think that this just deletes (or disables) cookies from ad networks. Although your IP address is always open, just knowing someone's IP address isn't enough to track them. You have to be communicating with them to know what they're doing. Ad companies place special cookies in your browser than ping back to the home company when your on a page that has their ads on it, so they know that you visited the site. They use this to build a profile about you and target ads to you to make their business more profitable.

It set ups an opt-out cookie for the tracking companies that target a PC, there isn't a universal standard but it does a good job all the same and there is no downside.

http://selectout.org/learn/

http://selectout.org/tools/oo/

Back