Our favorite myths, legends, and folklore....for geeks only

Cypress

At Owl's suggestion, a place for our favorite legends of the sea, the dark forest, the misty moor, and the black lake.

“If I’m honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all.”
 -Audrey Hepburn.
Cjt380B.jpg

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”
 - Albert Einstein
d8DrVVc.jpg

Rusalka

Rusalka is another striking folk character, and has been described by Dr. Luba Iskold, as follows. Rusalka is a water nymph, a female spirit in Slavic mythology. Represented as a young maiden, with long flowing hair, she runs amongst the lakes and trees.

Connected with the underworld and deadly waters; siren-like, with her beauty and voice she lures men to their watery deaths
She looked at him and shook her hair
Threw kisses, laughed
And like a child
Cried to the monk: “Come to me here….”
 - Alexander Pushkin, in the poem “Rusalka”
Rusalka is not inherently malevolent. She represents the spirit of a young women who committed suicide by a lake or river because of an unhappy or abusive marriage, and came back to haunt the waterway. Her spirit would be allowed to die in peace if her death is avenged.

Associated with fertility, reproduction, as well as death, Rusalka represents the untamed life-giving and life-taking force of women and nature.
ix8hPfQ.jpg

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/rusalka-mythical-slavic-mermaid-006738
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka
https://slideplayer.com/slide/4408740/

At Owl's suggestion, a place for our favorite legends of the sea, the dark forest, the misty moor, and the black lake.

By the way, Fandango, Bodydouble, Annieoakley, and Tommatthews are all perma-banned. You don't need to add them to your list.

Ruslan and Ludmilla

Inspired spired by Alexander Pushkin's poem of a Russian fairy tale. It tells the story of the abduction of Ludmila, the daughter of Prince Vladimir of Kiev, by an evil wizard and the attempt by the brave knight Ruslan to find and rescue her.
In the brief prologue to the fairytale, the narrator of the story describes coming upon a green oak by the sea. Walking on a golden chain that is bound to an oak is a wise story-telling cat. The narrator remembers one of the cat’s stories -- the tale that narrator then recounts about Ruslan and Ludmilla.

Synopsis: An evil sorcerer Chernomor casts a spell over wedding celebrations for Ruslan and Lyudmila at the court of Svetozar, the Prince of Kiev. Lyudmila vanishes and her father promises her hand and half his kingdom to the knight who rescues her. Ruslan on this quest of rescue encounters the knights Ratmir and Farlaf, the wise wizard Finn, the slave of Ratmir, Gorislava and sorceress Naina before confronting Chernomor in his magic garden. After all the challenges for Ruslan, true love prevails.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362104/plotsummary
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruslan_and_Ludmila#Synopsis

This is a Russian lacquer plate I have that depicts the fairy tale of Ruslan and Ludmilla
Ff0kFSN.jpg

Domovoi
A domovoi is a protective house spirit in Slavic folklore. Domovye are masculine, typically small, bearded, and sometimes covered in hair all over. According to some traditions, domovye take on the appearance of current or former owners of the house and have a grey beard, sometimes with tails or little horns. This belief is commonly held to be a remnant of the pre-Christian cult of ancestors.

Traditionally, every house is said to have its own domovoi who lives either in the stove, under the threshold, in the cattle shed, or in the stables. The center of the house is also said to be their domain. The domovoi is seen as the home's guardian, and if he is kept happy he maintains peace and order and rewards the household by helping with household chores and field work. To stay in his good graces, his family leaves him gifts such as milk, porridge, tobacco, bread, and salt. If angered by the family's slovenliness, disrespect, or abuse, the domovoi acts in a way resembling a poltergeist but is rarely harmful. If he becomes irretrievably offended he abandons the family. In times past, this flight was viewed as a great catastrophe as his benevolence was essential to the livelihood and well-being of the household. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domovoy
ofXB890.jpg

Baba Yaga
Baba Yaga, an old woman of the forest, is one of the most memorable of Russian fairytale characters. She is represented as a witch with magical powers. Baba Yaga is enigmatic and ambiguous, showing dually “good” and “bad” character traits. According to Dr. Luba Iskold , animals venerate her, and she protects the forest as a mother-earth figure. She is the bringer of life and death; she both devours children and reunites couples.

Not being a conventional witch, she has never been seen on a broomstick. She travels perched in a large mortar with her knees almost touching her chin, and pushes herself across the forest floor with a pestle. She can also fly through the air in the same manner. Baba Yaga lives in a hut deep in the forest. Her hut seems to have a personality of its own and can move about on its extra-large chicken legs. Usually the hut is either spinning around as it moves through the forest or stands at rest with its back to the visitor. The windows of the hut seem to serve as eyes. All the while it is spinning round, it emits blood-curdling screeches and will only come to a halt, amid much creaking and groaning, when a secret incantation is said. When it stops, it turns to face the visitor and lowers itself down on its chicken legs, throwing open the door with a loud crash. The hut is sometimes surrounded by a fence made of bones, which helps to keep out intruders! The fence is topped with skulls whose blazing eye sockets illuminate the darkness.

Thankfully, she appears to have no power over the pure of heart, such as Vasilisa the Beautiful and those of us who are 'blessed' (protected by the power of love, virtue, or a mother's blessing.)

Although she is mostly portrayed as a terrifying old crone, Baba Yaga can also play the role of a helper and wise woman. The Earth Mother, like all forces of nature, though often wild and untamed, can also be kind. In her guise as wise hag, she sometimes gives advice and magical gifts to heroes and the pure of heart. The hero or heroine of the story often enters the crone's domain searching for wisdom, knowledge and truth. She is all-knowing, all seeing and all-revealing to those who would dare to ask. She is said to be a guardian spirit of the fountain of the Waters of Life and of Death. Baba Yaga is the Arch-Crone, the Goddess of Wisdom and Death, the Bone Mother. Wild and untamable, she is a nature spirit bringing wisdom and death of ego, and through death, rebirth.
 source: http://www.oldrussia.net/baba.html
7hm7qiR.png

Some of my favorite local stories are those of Nanabozho, "first man", a kind of trickster figure who is also an ally to humans. Depending on the tribe and locale, he is the son of Giizhis, the Sun, and an earth woman who died, or his father is Ningaabii'anong the West Wind. Nanabozho was raised by his Nokomis, his grandmother. We only tell Nanabozho stories when the goon (pronounced go-n, meaning snow) is on the ground. Otherwise it will be easier for him to come when he hears his name, and maybe prank you! His tales are used for humor, to explain the why of something, and sometimes as cautionary stories. One of my favorites:

One morning Nanabozho got to thinking how he hadn't seen his friends the Anishinaabe for quite a long while. He walked through the forest down to their camp by Kichi-Gami (Lake Superior). As he walked he was surprised that he didn't hear the children playing, the women singing, the men working on their hunting equipment, the elders telling their tales of the old days. No one was fishing or repairing the wiigwaas (birch) of the lodges. The village seemed deserted! At last he found the people, laying in the maple forest with their mouths open. They had made cuts into the aninaatigoog (maple trees) and were drinking the thick sweet syrup. "This won't do at all," he said to himself. So he gathered some wiigwaas makakoon (birch baskets) and filled them with water. To the tops of those maples he climbed, and he poured all that water down into the maple trunks to thin out the syrup. The people sat up, surprised that now they had only water! Nanabozho told them: "I had to do this because you are being lazy! From now on if you want the syrup, you must work hard and gather much, and boil it for a day." And that is why maple syrup requires so much labor.

http://www.native-languages.org/nanabozho.htm

c9CPssw.jpg

Some of my favorite local stories are those of Nanabozho, "first man", a kind of trickster figure who is also an ally to humans. Depending on the tribe and locale, he is the son of Giizhis, the Sun, and an earth woman who died, or his father is Ningaabii'anong the West Wind. Nanabozho was raised by his Nokomis, his grandmother. We only tell Nanabozho stories when the goon (pronounced go-n, meaning snow) is on the ground. Otherwise it will be easier for him to come when he hears his name, and maybe prank you! His tales are used for humor, to explain the why of something, and sometimes as cautionary stories. One of my favorites:

One morning Nanabozho got to thinking how he hadn't seen his friends the Anishinaabe for quite a long while. He walked through the forest down to their camp by Kichi-Gami (Lake Superior). As he walked he was surprised that he didn't hear the children playing, the women singing, the men working on their hunting equipment, the elders telling their tales of the old days. No one was fishing or repairing the wiigwaas (birch) of the lodges. The village seemed deserted! At last he found the people, laying in the maple forest with their mouths open. They had made cuts into the aninaatigoog (maple trees) and were drinking the thick sweet syrup. "This won't do at all," he said to himself. So he gathered some wiigwaas makakoon (birch baskets) and filled them with water. To the tops of those maples he climbed, and he poured all that water down into the maple trunks to thin out the syrup. The people sat up, surprised that now they had only water! Nanabozho told them: "I had to do this because you are being lazy! From now on if you want the syrup, you must work hard and gather much, and boil it for a day." And that is why maple syrup requires so much labor.

http://www.native-languages.org/nanabozho.htm

c9CPssw.jpg

Outstanding.
I love the folklore of indigenous peoples of North America.
When I was a boy, my mother bought me a book of the folklore and legends of native peoples. And I could barely put that thing down!

Outstanding.
I love the folklore of indigenous peoples of North America.
When I was a boy, my mother bought me a book of the folklore and legends of native peoples. And I could barely put that thing down!

Do you remember what it was called? My mom got me Longfellow's illustrated Song of Hiawatha. I see echoes of that epic in the Nanabozho stories and his life and suspect that Longfellow drew heavily from them for his own tale.

Do you remember what it was called? My mom got me Longfellow's illustrated Song of Hiawatha. I see echoes of that epic in the Nanabozho stories and his life and suspect that Longfellow drew heavily from them for his own tale.

I do not remember what it was called, only that as a ten year old boy I was smitten with the premise that the coyotes, crows, and snakes et al. were animal spirits, could talk to humans, and had an intangible sense of magic about them.
That kind of story was right up my alley!

I do not remember what it was called, only that as a ten year old boy I was smitten with the premise that the coyotes, crows, and snakes et al. were animal spirits, could talk to humans, and had an intangible sense of magic about them.
That kind of story was right up my alley!

Oh that Coyote! The Coyote trickster stories about all the troubles he gets into with his penis are very funny! Of course they don't put *those* in children's books. We read a similar one in class last semester about "Whiskey Jack" (Wiiskejaak in Nish/Ojibwe), a similar trickster figure who lets his wiinag get him into peril. The cleaned-up and censored English translations aren't nearly as much fun as the originals. lol

Oh that Coyote! The Coyote trickster stories about all the troubles he gets into with his penis are very funny! Of course they don't put *those* in children's books. We read a similar one in class last semester about "Whiskey Jack" (Wiiskejaak in Nish/Ojibwe), a similar trickster figure who lets his wiinag get him into peril. The cleaned-up and censored English translations aren't nearly as much fun as the originals. lol

Impressed that you do not need the English translation. Holy smoke!

I have belatedly come to realize that one can learn a lot about a people, about their culture, from their fairy tales and folklore.
The Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf seemingly speaks in tangible ways to the Saxon's roots in Denmark. That, and plus it is just a bloody cool tale!

Impressed that you do not need the English translation. Holy smoke!

Well, we did because we're students and still learning the language. I have several books that have the Ojibwe on the verso page and the English on the recto.

I have belatedly come to realize that one can learn a lot about a people, about their culture, from their fairy tales and folklore.
The Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf seemingly speaks in tangible ways to the Saxon's roots in Denmark. That, and plus it is just a bloody cool tale!

As are the Norse legends, eh?

My favorite Reagan myths are

He cut taxes.

He won the Cold War.

The economy grew by more under Reagan than by any President since WWII.

And my personal favorite he shrank the size of the federal government.

My favorite Reagan myths are
He cut taxes.
He won the Cold War.
The economy grew by more under Reagan than by any President since WWII.
And my personal favorite he shrank the size of the federal government.

Heheheheh. And now we have Trump, who is more like the trickster Coyote what with getting in trouble all the time with his penis. Only not as lovable.

Well, we did because we're students and still learning the language. I have several books that have the Ojibwe on the verso page and the English on the recto.

As are the Norse legends, eh?

Too right you are!
Holy moly. Does it get any better than Scandinavian folklore? Who doesn't like elves, trolls, dwarves...and the mighty Kraken!
c45XHHp.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite myths, legends and folklore are all the ones I here about Ronald Reagan from right wingers most of whom didn’t vote for him.

A fine point.

How a dim-witted, approval ratings barely-above-average, incurious actor was turned into an epic historic figure of unrivaled popularity who took on the Soviet Empire single handedly and won, just shows the power of myth-making.
And illustrates the human affinity for believing myths.

I have been titillated by the myth of the Roman Empire’s 9th Legion, which legend holds supposedly vanished without a trace after traveling into the wilds north of Hadrian’s Wall to put down a rebellion of Pictish tribes in Scotland.

The Mysterious Disappearance of Rome’s 9th Legion

The disappearance of Rome's Ninth Legion has long baffled historians, but could a brutal ambush have been the event that forged the England-Scotland border, asks archaeologist Dr Miles Russell, of Bournemouth University.

One of the most enduring legends of Roman Britain concerns the disappearance of the Ninth Legion.

The theory that 5,000 of Rome's finest soldiers were lost in the swirling mists of Caledonia, as they marched north to put down a rebellion, forms the basis of a new film, The Eagle, but how much of it is true?

It is easy to understand the appeal of stories surrounding the loss of the Roman Ninth Legion - a disadvantaged band of British warriors inflicting a humiliating defeat upon a well-trained, heavily-armoured professional army.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-12752497
I recently saw a pretty good British movie loosely based on the disappearance of the 9th Legion

Back