uscitizen

Villified User
Nov 4, 11:09 AM EST

Foster home sued over 9-year-old boy's starvation
Advertisement
Buy AP Photo Reprints

Your Questions Answered
Ask AP: Pay limits and the bailout, Somali pirates

DETROIT (AP) -- The family of a 9-year-old boy with cerebral palsy is suing the operators of a Detroit foster home where they say their son starved to death.

Elena Andron says she placed her son Johnny Dragomir in foster care because she had lost her job and couldn't afford to care for him.

Johnny died March 9, 2007 at Monroe Foster Home. Family lawyer Arnold Reed says the 5-foot boy's weight had dropped from 80 to 40 pounds.

The suit filed Monday names several individuals and foster care contractor Community Living Services Inc.

Company representatives didn't immediately return calls seeking comment Tuesday.

State Department of Human Services spokeswoman Davila Gendreau tells The Detroit News the boy's death is under investigation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FOSTER_DEATH_SUIT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Home schooled ? I have to wonder.

There are a million or so kids who are home schooled in the US. There are probably a handful of abuse cases related to that.

Home schooling is not the problem.

Homeschooling allows the problem to be hidden though. And yes as in most things a few mess it up for the many.

In most cases like this one the tchild has been home schooled. Remember the one I posted about the girl that was being starved to death ?

I think home schooled children should definitely be checked up on. Home schooling makes it far too easy for abusive parents to hide problems.

I think home schooled children should definitely be checked up on. Home schooling makes it far too easy for abusive parents to hide problems.

If we use that as the reason, then all privacy will be in danger because it makes it too easy to commit crimes.

The assumption of guilt because you cannot prove they are innocent is just wrong.

If this were very common I MIGHT agree. But it still seems to be a rare exception.

So you have people go around to people's homes and check? Just see the kid? Look at the inside of the house? Do a medical inspection of the children? What exactly are you proposing?

So you have people go around to people's homes and check? Just see the kid? Look at the inside of the house? Do a medical inspection of the children? What exactly are you proposing?

Either a medical checkup, or a person to come to the house every month to test the kid and make sure they are up to standards.

Either a medical checkup, or a person to come to the house every month to test the kid and make sure they are up to standards.

What standards? The same standards they have for those attending public or private schools? There are none. No medical exams either.

Back