Paul Mooney, ‘Chappelle’s Show’ comedian and actor, dead at 79

Drummie123

Verified User
Paul Mooney, ‘Chappelle’s Show’ comedian and actor, dead at 79

By Lauren Steussy and Eric Hegedus
May 19, 2021 | 11:33am | Updated

paul-mooney-01.jpg

Paul Mooney, the actor-comedian famous for his roles in “The Buddy Holly Story” and “Bamboozled,” has died at 79.

Mooney passed away Wednesday morning in Oakland, California, his daughter Spring Mooney confirmed on Twitter. The cause of death was a heart attack, according to reports.

“Give me a moment,” Spring said in the emotional tweet. “My best friend just died and my world is forever SHOOK !!! I really can’t put into words right now my feelings .. know that I LOVE THIS MAN AND I AM BROKEN.”

Mooney was best known for playing Sam Cooke opposite Oscar nominee Gary Busey in 1978’s “The Buddy Holly Story.” He also played Junebug in Spike Lee’s acclaimed 2000 comedy “Bamboozled.”

The Shreveport, Louisiana, native got his start as a writer, backing legendary stand-up comedian Richard Pryor. He went on to write for Fox’s “In Living Color.”

https://nypost.com/2021/05/19/comedian-paul-mooney-dead-at-79-from-heart-attack/

Paul Mooney unfiltered comedy

He was the only comedian I felt excited about in anticipation of his comedy.

Why?

He spoke his mind.

I didn't always agree with him, but NOBODY was as honest or as shockingly funny. And his attitude was even funny to me.

A great loss.

Back