PdaNet for Droid

Socrtease

Verified User
I just downloaded PDANet for Droid and on my computer and the speed is stupid for a wireless modem. Cost is just under 16 bucks, one time fee. Unlike IDon't there is no renewal fee at the end of the year. ONE TIME MEANS ONE TIME.

If your phone company has an option to hook it up to your computer, I'd recommend that. PDANet is about 10-100 times slower (I'm serious here, done speedtests) than your connection should be able to accomplish. It takes effort to design a program this shitty.

If your company doesn't offer some kind of tethering option, I'd recommend rooting your phone and installing wifi tether instead. It turns your phone into a wireless hotspot, and you can connect your computer to it using your wifi modem. The speed is great compared to PDAnet.

The Droid will automatically link to your computers so long as you have Vista or above without using any other software at all. It's way faster than using pdanet.

Ok, I still use XP so that is not an option. Second, though in theory I want to root my phone, I am terrified I will brick it. I use verizon and I am NOT paying that kind of money for internet connection that eventually has to be paid for by the Mbps.

Ok, I still use XP so that is not an option. Second, though in theory I want to root my phone, I am terrified I will brick it. I use verizon and I am NOT paying that kind of money for internet connection that eventually has to be paid for by the Mbps.
I pay a one fee thing, and I tether my phone all the time.

It's not bad for speed, and I use the internet wherever I want. There are aps for it if you use XP...

Currently I'm using the standard firmware with a program installed that allows me to give root access to certain programs that need it. If you try to change the firmware, you may get problems (I seriously doubt you'll brick it though). But if you just use the program that allows you to mete out root access you should be fine.

"Root" in linux is like running something as administrator in Vista or 7 (although it is even more hardcore - with root access you can literally delete your boot sector if you so desire). Typically phone companies forbid you from having root access because they don't want you to unwittingly fuck up your phone and whine to them about it, but for some applications you need it.

Back