Peeps

domer76

Verified User
Results Summary:

Essentially, we found that Peeps are not soluble in water (a polar liquid), acetone (a non-polar liquid), sulfuric acid (a strong acid), or sodium hydroxide (a strong base). In fact, with the exception of the acetone turning purple as some of the sugar did dissolve off the surface of the Peep, there was no noticeable reaction of any kind. For specific descriptions of the solutions tested and their effects, click on the links above.

Conclusion:

Given enough time, the proper resources, and access to some really toxic stuff, one can probably dissolve just about anything except Peep eyes.

http://www.peepresearch.org/solubility.html#initial

Results Summary:

Essentially, we found that Peeps are not soluble in water (a polar liquid), acetone (a non-polar liquid), sulfuric acid (a strong acid), or sodium hydroxide (a strong base). In fact, with the exception of the acetone turning purple as some of the sugar did dissolve off the surface of the Peep, there was no noticeable reaction of any kind. For specific descriptions of the solutions tested and their effects, click on the links above.

Conclusion:

Given enough time, the proper resources, and access to some really toxic stuff, one can probably dissolve just about anything except Peep eyes.

Just the eyes?

Results Summary:

Conclusion:

d1a6312ef129aab713b7ffde581dac1c.jpg

Acetone is hydrophilic, only ignorant twats like dumbcunt 76 would think otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

lol

Which has not one fucking thing to do with the solubility of peeps or the intent of the site. Nice try though, twatwaddle.

Results Summary:

Conclusion:

If you had any polymer chemistry training you would expect these properties. A marshmellow is a composite polymer material in which there are three primary reactants. Sugar (a simple disaccharide), and two proteins (polypeptide polymers) Albumin and Collagen (egg whites and gelatin). If the components are dissolved in hot water (around 140 deg F) and then allowed to cool they will react and form our chewy, tasty polymeric friend.

Now because it is a composite polymer, and like most polymers, it is not very chemically reactive as a solid. This would help explain why a marshmellow will not dissolve in most solvents.

However the dufus who did this experiment forgot two significant points. #1. The Marshmallow composite polymer has a low melting point and it is a polar molecule. Did I hear you say polar? Why yes you did! So why then didn't the Marshmallow dissolve in water? Because at room temperature this solid polymer does not have the properties of a solute. Now...as anyone who has ever drank hot chocolate can tell you...a marshmallow will readily dissolve in hot chocolate. Why is that? Well because the hot chocolate is mostly water (a polar) solvent and the heat from the hot water is in excess of the marshmallows melting point (which is around 100 deg F) then the marshmallow will melt into a liquid where it becomes an excellent polar solute and will readily dissolve in a hot polar solvent like water.

Same thing applies with the sulfuric acid. You place a marshmallow into sulfuric acid and it will just float. You would expect, because of the sugar, that it would burn up (decomposition) in the acid but it doesn't. That's because of the inert property of the solid marshmallow polymer. Now gently heat that sulfuric acid up to the marshmallows melting point and the reaction you expect (decomposition) will occur.

So peeps will dissolve easily in common solvents...if one understands the chemical properties properly.

Last edited:
If you had any polymer chemistry training you would expect these properties. A marshmellow is a composite polymer material in which there are three primary reactants. Sugar (a simple disaccharide), and two proteins (polypeptide polymers) Albumin and Collagen (egg whites and gelatin). If the components are dissolved in hot water (around 140 deg F) and then allowed to cool they will react and form our chewy, tasty polymeric friend.

Now because it is a composite polymer, and like most polymers, it is not very chemically reactive as a solid. This would help explain why a marshmellow will not dissolve in most solvents.

However the dufus who did this experiment forgot two significant points. #1. The Marshmallow composite polymer has a low melting point and it is a polar molecule. Did I hear you say polar? Why yes you did! So why then didn't the Marshmallow dissolve in water? Because at room temperature this solid polymer does not have the properties of a solute. Now...as anyone who has ever drank hot chocolate can tell you...a marshmallow will readily dissolve in hot chocolate. Why is that? Well because the hot chocolate is mostly water (a polar) solvent and the heat from the hot water is in excess of the marshmallows melting point (which is around 100 deg F) then the marshmallow will melt into a liquid where it becomes an excellent polar solute and will readily dissolve in a hot polar solvent like water.

Same thing applies with the sulfuric acid. You place a marshmallow into sulfuric acid and it will just float. You would expect, because of the sugar, that it would burn up (decomposition) in the acid but it doesn't. That's because of the inert property of the solid marshmallow polymer. Now gently heat that sulfuric acid up to the marshmallows melting point and the reaction you expect (decomposition) will occur.

So peeps will dissolve easily in common solvents...if one understands the chemical properties properly.

Yeah, the guy posted a little jab at Peeps and you two fucking anal retentives shit your pants. Yeah, he's not a chemist and acetone is not a non-polar solvent. Big fucking deal. Not the point of the site.

Trying to impress with your chemistry knowledge? Try someone else.

Dumbfuck76 is a thensitive soul Mott, you've hurt his feelings.

Sent from my iPhone 10S
I've heard that peeps are good for hurt feelings. :)

Also, I resent the anal retentive comment. Knowing science doesn't make you anal retentive. Always rounding up to the least significant digit does!

Also, I resent the anal retentive comment. Knowing science doesn't make you anal retentive. Always rounding up to the least significant digit does!

Dumbfuck76 uses his least significant digits to pull shit out of his rear end.

Sent from my iPhone 10S

Taking the cited post as serious chemistry makes you not only anal retentive, but a gullible fool as well.

Wash that finger after you remove it from your rectum.

Taking the cited post as serious chemistry makes you not only anal retentive, but a gullible fool as well.

Wash that finger after you remove it from your rectum.
Well actually I was just having fun with peeps. Lighten up homey or I will go full blowed science due on you! LOL

Back