Phew! Asteroid to miss Earth in 2040, NASA says

signalmankenneth

Verified User
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/21/us/space-asteroid-threat/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

b6ba2c9a75520b04d39fe43f54f023cd.jpg

really? i tried and couldn't get past the first 5 or so minutes. what did you like about it?

well I mean honestly if you actually quit just 5 minutes in I don't know how much I can talk about it without massively spoiling stuff for you.

In terms of the technical aspects I think a lot of the cinematography is breathtaking, the acting (especially on kirsten dunsts part) is top notch (especially in the second part of the film) and the score of the film was perfect especially that piece by wagner being used over and over again, and at points has that same unsettling vibe as that piece used in 2001 whenever the monolith appears.

But more to the point, I have never seen a movie handle the portrayal of depression, despair, and just the sheer inevitability of total doom in such an effective manner. It's honestly unnerving.

The film is split into two distint parts, the first part is the wedding, and the second part is 6 months later. If you get to the second part of the film Dunst's performance is like night and day compared to where she was earlier in the film.

There is a lot more I can say but I am trying to be relatively brief in the things I am saying just so not to spoil stuff and also because I am lazy.

This is a polarizing movie for sure. It's actually not that highly ranked on imdb (I think imdbs rating scale has it's problems, but typically I don't like anything under an 8 there.. usually), but Lars von Trier seems to have quite a cult following. I think thematically this type of movie really engages certain people that like this type of movie and it really might turn others off that aren't really into this type of film. I am in the former category, I just eat this shit up...

The movie really is more of a character study than anything else, and how various people mentally are able to cope with crisis. I think if you have a few random hours sometime to kill, you should watch it and give it another chance.

So what if there cutting a little from NASA (or want to).. Would it make a difference to man kind? Nope. We have nothing that can stop an Asteroid (No Hollywood does not actually work) so either way if it was going to hit us we would still be buggered.

i hope we all die in an asteroid collision. I will haughtily smile upon all those that thought their lives made a difference, that all sought to change and mold the world to their benefit so fruitlessly. It would be such a wonderful time. I would get to watch all those who betrayed me to finally meet their end, to suffer utterly and completely and to die in utter hopelessness and despair.

Seeing what we have made of our selves cant say I disagree, The Human race is a joke and we need such an event to give us a kick up the ass and realize what is important in life.

Impeccable logic, it would make more sense if you could just migrate to another planet.

A few of us are just visitors/observers here.

Aren't many humans supposed to believe in the spiritual migration to a wonderful place called heaven?
Wouldn't the end of the earth be a blessed event for them?

I watched some human lady on TV with a big ball of pink hair on her head and she seemed to want to go to heaven more than anything.

Back