Plastic bags

Thorn

I had no idea of the extent of this problem. I've been using canvas bags, off and on, for several years now, though not as conscientiously as I'd intended. From now on I'll make a more concerted effort to use the canvas ones exclusively. Besides, they hold more, are a lot stronger, and are far easier to carry.

The e-mail that contained this web address suggested that even if only 1 in 10 people were to switch to canvas bags it would make a huge difference.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080506/MULTIMEDIA02/80505016

I dutifully recycle any I am given.

I pick them up when I see them loose and put them in my recycle bin.

When I walk the beach I pick up all the trash along the way back.

Last week I picked up what I thought was a piece of wet suit and it turned out to be someones dorsal fin.

I dutifully recycle any I am given.

I pick them up when I see them loose and put them in my recycle bin.

When I walk the beach I pick up all the trash along the way back.

Last week I picked up what I thought was a piece of wet suit and it turned out to be someones dorsal fin.

Yes, but did you read the link? It costs about $4,000 to recycle into something that can be sold for only about $32. That was the huge revelation for me. That cost wasn't broken down into energy consumed in recycling, either, an important component to say the least.

No I did not see that part.

Your point is well taken.

Time to get canvas bags.

I know, I was shocked! Here I thought I was doing something good ... Well, it just shows that we need as much reliable info as possible to make even the smallest-seeming decisions. Also Damo's point about plastics being petroleum based is sound.

I live in the south. I'm basically white trash with an arty looking house and no accent. You can't blame me for going to Wal-Mart - it's the only thing that sells practically everything I need within fifty miles.

Back