Point Break deaux

From the 1st moment I read about this flick, I was against it with every fiber of my soul.

You don't remake Footloose. You don't remake Roadhouse. You don't remake Point Break.

Cheesy, guilty pleasure movies that all happen to be in the top 10 of rewatchable movies of all time. Magic that you can't recreate.

Absolutely. Lightening in a bottle. The chemistry of the script with Reeves and Swayze can't be duplicated. Just like the remake of True Grit which was done very well but when you think of Rooster Cogburn you don't think of Jeff Bridges.

Absolutely. Lightening in a bottle. The chemistry of the script with Reeves and Swayze can't be duplicated. Just like the remake of True Grit which was done very well but when you think of Rooster Cogburn you don't think of Jeff Bridges.

I disagree, the Jeff Bridges remake was every bit as good as the original and arguably better. It is also stuck closer to the original source material. Roger Ebert said, “When we see Rooster Cogburn in the Coen version we’re not thinking about Jeff Bridges, his interpretation is no doubt closer to the reality of a lawman in those years of the West.”

I disagree, the Jeff Bridges remake was every bit as good as the original and arguably better. It is also stuck closer to the original source material. Roger Ebert said, “When we see Rooster Cogburn in the Coen version we’re not thinking about Jeff Bridges, his interpretation is no doubt closer to the reality of a lawman in those years of the West.”
It was well done and I don't necessarily disagree with your point but my point is still correct. Wayne's performance of Cogburn was a crowning achievement, won him an academy award and from I dialogue standpoint was as true to the novel as the Coens brothers version and more people still associate Wayne with his portrayal of the role. Bothe versions took some liberties with the novel but my vote is for the original.

Great novel by the way. The authors use of dialect is right up there with Huckleberry Finn. Speaking of which Wayne's dialect in the movie is closer to the southwest Arkansas dialect than Bridges was.

I took my mom to see the remake, and she thinks the original was actually closer to the novel. Having not read it, I took her word for it. I do think Damon is an upgrade over Glen Campbell.

I actually liked the remake of True Grit better than the original. The girl was more realistic, Matt Damon did better than Glenn Campbell, the ending was more realistic. And the music score was with in the period. Jeff Bridges took a different approach, he knew he could not duplicate John Wayne, so he did not even waste time trying.

I took my mom to see the remake, and she thinks the original was actually closer to the novel. Having not read it, I took her word for it. I do think Damon is an upgrade over Glen Campbell.
I have read the novel. It's a great read actually. The original movie was closer to the plot up to the point where Maddie falls into the snake pit. The remake has a slightly more authentic feel. Both depart dramatically from the novel in the setting during the search for Cheney in that it was filmed in the Rockies when the actual settings is in the Ozarks. I do agree that Damon's performance was more authentic. The clipped accent and the single mindedness in apprehending a fugitive is a more accurate representation of a Texas Ranger from that era.

I actually liked the remake of True Grit better than the original. The girl was more realistic, Matt Damon did better than Glenn Campbell, the ending was more realistic. And the music score was with in the period. Jeff Bridges took a different approach, he knew he could not duplicate John Wayne, so he did not even waste time trying.
I think both were exceptionally well done. Both did a good job of staying with the plot of the book and using the dialogue from the book. Movies made from novels normally take gross liberties with the novels because translating a novel into a screen play is extremely hard to do. The novel True Grit is so well written, the dialogue, with it's excellent use of dialect and the exceptional description of backdrops in the novel made it easy to write a screenplay for the movie.

If you haven't read the novel, you should. Great read.

Back