Poll: vacation or kayaks

vacation or kayaks

• Total voters

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
for thanksgiving we are deciding either

1. vacation to mendocino coast for 3 nights; or

2. purchase two used ocean kayaks

dillemma - i really want a vacation on a holiday as we are always going to family and have not taken a true vacation for us in a loooooooong time. cost for the vacation will be around 800-1000 dollars, and that includes kayak rentals if the weather is good. the kayaks are necky eskia with rudder and are 700 each. the kayaks would last longer than a 4 day vacation and we are tired of renting because unless you rent overnight, you cannot start until they open which most places are around 9am and by then, the beautiful serene windless morning is gone....

take the vacation. if you haven't had one for a long time it'll be good for your mental well being. You need some time to just chilllllll and not worry about a bunch of bullshit. It's not like it'll be impossible for you to get some kayaks in the future.

plus if you get the kayaks you'll be stuck with family on thanksgiving. In my world that sucks. I am already planning my own escape on thanksgiving myself.

take the vacation. if you haven't had one for a long time it'll be good for your mental well being. You need some time to just chilllllll and not worry about a bunch of bullshit. It's not like it'll be impossible for you to get some kayaks in the future.

this is very true, please vote

in fact we have discussed this. if we go on the vacation, we won't buy the kayaks until next summer. we could afford to take the vacation and buy the kayaks, but we are only 1.5 years away from paying off our credit cards, and i will not take money from that plan and buy kayaks....

the counter argument is, my mental well being could be nurtured by early morning kayak trips right where i live or within a 2 hour radius of where i live....right now, my only option is renting overnight, which, after 12 rentals, i could buy the kayaks.

plus if you get the kayaks you'll be stuck with family on thanksgiving. In my world that sucks. I am already planning my own escape on thanksgiving myself.

no....we are absolutely not visiting family for thanksgiving....if we buy kayaks, we are going to explore the entire coastline every morning

dillemma - i really want a vacation on a holiday as we are always going to family and have not taken a true vacation for us in a loooooooong time. cost for the vacation will be around 800-1000 dollars, and that includes kayak rentals if the weather is good. the kayaks are necky eskia with rudder and are 700 each. the kayaks would last longer than a 4 day vacation and we are tired of renting because unless you rent overnight, you cannot start until they open which most places are around 9am and by then, the beautiful serene windless morning is gone....

If it were more than 3 nights I'd say vacation, but... kayaks.

I say buy the kayaks and tell the family you're going on vacation Thanksgiving anyways. That way you can take a day trip somewhere that day, use the kayaks and have a win-win. You'll kick yourself if you don't get the kayaks at that price and they will have paid for themselves by the third or fourth trip you take.

I say buy the kayaks and tell the family you're going on vacation Thanksgiving anyways. That way you can take a day trip somewhere that day, use the kayaks and have a win-win. You'll kick yourself if you don't get the kayaks at that price and they will have paid for themselves by the third or fourth trip you take.

we just came back from a sunset walk at the beach and this is precisely what we have agreed on

you're awesome

Only because the Mendocino thing sounds like a long weekend you can take any time by adding a vacation day or two. If you had said a week in Hawaii, for example, I might have gone for the vacation.

You can get the kayaks, go out whenever your schedule permits and still save money for a vacation in the next few months.

Buy the kayaks, smoke a big fatty your first time out and it'll feel like a vacation.

Wife and I bought a couple way overpriced new Hobies with the peddle drive. I drove them down to Key Largo which was awesome.

Back