Pop hitmaker Burt Bacharach dies at 94

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
Burt Bacharach, the legendary songsmith behind “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again” and countless other hits, died Wednesday at the age of 94.

Born to Jewish parents in Queens, New York, Bacharach made his name as a composer of virtuosic and immediately identifiable tunes. While Phil Spector created a bombastic Wall of Sound, Bacharach brought a lounge-y, soft sensibility to the airwaves and the silver screen.

A product of the legendary Brill Building, Bacharach was known for his collaborations with lyricist Hal David, minting songs for Perry Como and finding a star in Dionne Warwick.

Warwick became the go-to voice for the deceptively complex easy listening compositions, like “Walk on By” and “I Say a Little Prayer.” On her Twitter feed, Warwick shared a black-and-white photo of her singing while Bacharach played, the two of them completely in their element — sophisticated and utterly at ease with one another. She called him her “Dear Friend and my Musical Partner” and added: “Burt’s transition is like losing a family member.”

https://forward.com/culture/535560/...m=email&utm_campaign=afternoonedition_6139041

He did a load of collaborations, don't think you ever did one with Captain Beefheart or Frank Zappa though?

You never know what kind of collaborations went on live at some party in Laurel Canyon! But, I bet, when Burt would start playing the piano, everybody would circle him around the piano and join in. I'm sure Don and Frankie would have jumped right in!

Back