Powerful

Beefy

Worst gambler ever
This is one of the most moving videos of all time for me, and for those of us who understand the man. What a perfectly arranged piece of medium.

End of his life, reminiscent of his more youthful days, and lamenting of his losses. If you know Cash, this video will move you. If you don't, don't bother.

I know this is old, but it can still give me chicken skin.

Johnny, you will always be an icon, inimitable, and brass.

Most of you know Johnny Cash from the movie "Walk the Line", or through his various hits, or as a periphreal star that came and went. Those of us who know otherwise, know otherwise.

Cash was a true, authentic, gravel grown American Icon. Was and is. Cash went though it all, and retained a sense of grandiosity and humility every step of the way. Johnny Cash became a superstar, a has-been, a relic, and then an icon to generation after generation.

For me, It all boils down to the unmatched honesty and truism that comes from his voice. He doesn't sing songs, he sings stories, he tells stories, and he has a vibrance in his voice that makes it more personal and resonant that any other singer.

Once June died, many of us knew he would be quick to follow, and he was, and its a shame. Its been over 7 years now, but the man is as moving as ever, and his legacy to me, is something that will never diminish.

In case you couldn't tell, I love Johnny Cash.

Do yourself a favor and dig him.

My man Beefy! Cash is one of the ground-breaking, honest-to-god music legends of my lifetime.

This video brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it. Johnny Cash's music tells stories that he understood and that the world loved.

Good post.

Hurt is an excellent song to illustrate Cash's legacy. Throughout his career, he pushed the limits of what was musically accepted by the public. When he first wanted to do a concert and cut an album at a prison, his manager thought he had lost his mind, and the producers thought it would be a complete bomb, maybe even end his career, but he did it, and those albums are musical gold now. What better song for Cash to do, than a 9-inch-nails metal tune? Who expects that? They often asked Cash why he wore black, and he would always say he just liked the way he looked in black, but I think it was more than that. I think Cash was making a statement about his outlaw nature.

So he does this song... Okay, you expect it is going to be awkward and clumsy, like William Shatner singing Rocket Man... but Cash literally OWNS the song! You find yourself thinking... Damn, he could have written that song!

i remember the interview with trent reznor after cash put this remake out. trent was both pissed and awed because cash took the song and made it his.

Most of you know Johnny Cash from the movie "Walk the Line", or through his various hits, or as a periphreal star that came and went. Those of us who know otherwise, know otherwise.

Cash was a true, authentic, gravel grown American Icon. Was and is. Cash went though it all, and retained a sense of grandiosity and humility every step of the way. Johnny Cash became a superstar, a has-been, a relic, and then an icon to generation after generation.

For me, It all boils down to the unmatched honesty and truism that comes from his voice. He doesn't sing songs, he sings stories, he tells stories, and he has a vibrance in his voice that makes it more personal and resonant that any other singer.

Once June died, many of us knew he would be quick to follow, and he was, and its a shame. Its been over 7 years now, but the man is as moving as ever, and his legacy to me, is something that will never diminish.

In case you couldn't tell, I love Johnny Cash.

Do yourself a favor and dig him.
Cocaine Blues from his Live at Folsom Prison ablum is one of my favorites.

I think the thing I admired most about Cash was his workmans like profesionalism towards his music.

I saw Cash perform live in the early 70's as a kid (my parents took me to see him perform at a county fair). He truely cared about his audience.

I saw Mel Tillis when I was in school to. Another great performer. Don't know which was better, his music or his comedy...both were good.

i remember the interview with trent reznor after cash put this remake out. trent was both pissed and awed because cash took the song and made it his.
I saw an inteview with John Mellencamp about an experience he had with John Cash. They were both invited to perform at a Rock n Roll HOF induction party. They asked Mellencamp and Cash to peform a song together (don't remember what the song was) and they agreed. Cash suggested they rehearse and Mellencamp was flipant and said "Naa, I got that tune down". Well the wen't out to peform and Mellencamp did awfull. Embarrased himself in front of some of his most important peers and heros. He went backstage afterwards and was so upset he was literally crying. Cash walked up to him, put his arm around him, and said in his gravelly voice "I told ya we should of rehearsed."

Cocaine Blues from his Live at Folsom Prison ablum is one of my favorites.

I think the thing I admired most about Cash was his workmans like profesionalism towards his music.

I saw Cash perform live in the early 70's as a kid (my parents took me to see him perform at a county fair). He truely cared about his audience.

I saw Mel Tillis when I was in school to. Another great performer. Don't know which was better, his music or his comedy...both were good.

Watch it Hoopy. Your country petticoat is slippin'....

My man Beefy! Cash is one of the ground-breaking, honest-to-god music legends of my lifetime.

This video brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it. Johnny Cash's music tells stories that he understood and that the world loved.

Good post.

And what was amazing about that song is that he could take a song like that, that is so foreign sounding compared to anything he had done up to then, and truly make it his own!

The overall bleakness was there when NIN did the song, but when Cash did it, he truly made it a song about longing, sorrow and despair.

But, he's up in Heaven right now working out new variations on his old stuff and getting Frank Zappa to help! And by the time any of us get's there, they'll have it all worked out for us to enjoy.

I loves me some good country too. Always have and always will. I like a wide array of music as well, but nothing speaks to the heart of the matter like country!

Yep, you can't beat C&W for speaking from the heart. Here are a few examples.

Do You Love As Good As You Look?
Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour On The Bedpost Overnight?
Her Teeth Were Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure
Here's A Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares
How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
How Can You Believe Me When I Say I Love You When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life?
I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling
I Fell In A Pile Of You And Got Love All Over Me
I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My Heart.
I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You
I Wanna Whip Your Cow
I Would Have Wrote You A Letter, But I Couldn't Spell Yuck!
I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dawg Fight, Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win
I'm Just A Bug On The Windshield Of Life
I'm The Only Hell Mama Ever Raised
I've Been Flushed From The Bathroom Of Your Heart
I've Got The Hungries For Your Love And I'm Waiting In Your Welfare Line
If Love Were Oil, I'd Be A Quart Low
If My Nose Were Full of Nickels, I'd Blow It All On You
If The Phone Don't Ring, Baby, You'll Know It's Me
If You Don't Leave Me Alone, I'll Go And Find Someone Else Who Will
Mama Get The Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)
May The Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose
My Every Day Silver Is Plastic
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love Jesus
My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him
Oh, I've Got Hair Oil On My Ears And My Glasses Are Slipping Down,
But Baby I Can See Through You
Pardon Me, I've Got Someone To Kill
She Got The Gold Mine And I Got The Shaft
She Got The Ring And I Got The Finger
She Made Toothpicks Out Of The Timber Of My Heart
She's Got Freckles On Her, But She's Pretty
Thank God And Greyhound She's Gone
They May Put Me In Prison, But They Can't Stop My Face From Breakin' Out
Velcro Arms, Teflon Heart
When You Leave Walk Out Backwards, So I'll Think You're Walking In
You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too
You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd
You Done Tore Out My Heart And Stomped That Sucker Flat
You Were Only A Splinter As I Slid Down The Banister Of Life
You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly.

I loves me some good country too. Always have and always will. I like a wide array of music as well, but nothing speaks to the heart of the matter like country!
What surprizes me is that my wife is a country music fan. Wants to take a trip to Nashville. Strange considering she wasn't raised around country music.

I like some country. Musicians/Bands like The Allman Brothers, Pure Praire League, Alabama, Hank Williams Jr, Charlie Danials, Dixie Chicks, Dolly, Cash, Willie, They kick ass.

Some of the Willshire Blvd Hillbilly stuff doesn't trip my triger. Who was the young lady that won Idle a couple years ago? Great voice but boy did she have a bad habit of putting a hillbilly yodel into everything she sang. Rubbed my nerves raw.

What surprizes me is that my wife is a country music fan. Wants to take a trip to Nashville. Strange considering she wasn't raised around country music.

I like some country. Musicians/Bands like The Allman Brothers, Pure Praire League, Alabama, Hank Williams Jr, Charlie Danials, Dixie Chicks, Dolly, Cash, Willie, They kick ass.

Some of the Willshire Blvd Hillbilly stuff doesn't trip my triger. Who was the young lady that won Idle a couple years ago? Great voice but boy did she have a bad habit of putting a hillbilly yodel into everything she sang. Rubbed my nerves raw.

You've done it now, even evoking the Dixie Chick's name ensures your swift passage to Hell.

Yep, you can't beat C&W for speaking from the heart. Here are a few examples.

Do You Love As Good As You Look?
Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour On The Bedpost Overnight?
Her Teeth Were Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure
Here's A Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares
How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?
How Can You Believe Me When I Say I Love You When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life?
I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling
I Fell In A Pile Of You And Got Love All Over Me
I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My Heart.
I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You
I Wanna Whip Your Cow
I Would Have Wrote You A Letter, But I Couldn't Spell Yuck!
I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dawg Fight, Cause I'm Afraid She'd Win
I'm Just A Bug On The Windshield Of Life
I'm The Only Hell Mama Ever Raised
I've Been Flushed From The Bathroom Of Your Heart
I've Got The Hungries For Your Love And I'm Waiting In Your Welfare Line
If Love Were Oil, I'd Be A Quart Low
If My Nose Were Full of Nickels, I'd Blow It All On You
If The Phone Don't Ring, Baby, You'll Know It's Me
If You Don't Leave Me Alone, I'll Go And Find Someone Else Who Will
Mama Get The Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)
May The Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose
My Every Day Silver Is Plastic
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love Jesus
My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him
Oh, I've Got Hair Oil On My Ears And My Glasses Are Slipping Down,
But Baby I Can See Through You
Pardon Me, I've Got Someone To Kill
She Got The Gold Mine And I Got The Shaft
She Got The Ring And I Got The Finger
She Made Toothpicks Out Of The Timber Of My Heart
She's Got Freckles On Her, But She's Pretty
Thank God And Greyhound She's Gone
They May Put Me In Prison, But They Can't Stop My Face From Breakin' Out
Velcro Arms, Teflon Heart
When You Leave Walk Out Backwards, So I'll Think You're Walking In
You Can't Have Your Kate And Edith Too
You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd
You Done Tore Out My Heart And Stomped That Sucker Flat
You Were Only A Splinter As I Slid Down The Banister Of Life
You're The Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly.

Or you could always stick to the basics and say:

Your face convinces me that Indians really did screw buffalo.

That works, eh? :pke:

I don't believe that I have ever agreed more with Beefy than I do in this thread.

The man in black...

Back