Pretty Blonde Girl

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
The media and cable "news" shows, are all atwitter about a pretty blonde girl, Eve Marie Carson, from the University of North Carolina was gunned down

Meanwhile, this outstanding young gentleman, to my knowledge, is barely mentioned on the Fox and MSNBC cable "news" shows. I won't comment on this differences in appearance and background. We report, you decide.

A youth 'on track' until fatal gunfire

March 4, 200

Stanford University called about Jamiel Shaw a week or so ago, intrigued by the slight but speedy running back for Los Angeles High School, the Southern League's most valuable player last year. Rutgers University called a few days later.

The Shaw family already had reason to be proud. Jamiel's mother, Army Sgt. Anita Shaw, was on her second tour of duty in Iraq.

On Sunday night, it was Jamiel's father on the phone and then his son's girlfriend, Chrystale Miles. Jamiel Sr. called to tell him to hurry home from the mall. The 17-year-old boy was three doors away when someone shot him to death while he was still talking on his cellphone to Chrystale, friends say.

Jamiel Sr. heard the shots almost as soon as he hung up. He ran out of the house, raced around the corner and found his son lying on the sidewalk, bleeding.

"She's over there trying to protect us from guns and bombs, and then she has to hear that her son is dead over here," he said of Anita on Monday. "I've got my own personal Iraq now."

Los Angeles police officials described the killing as random and senseless, cutting down a youth who had been doing everything right in his life -- from hitting the books to never missing church to inspiring the Los Angeles High Romans to last year's Southern League title.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-shot4mar04,0,2100554.story

The media and cable "news" shows, are all atwitter about a pretty blonde girl, Eve Marie Carson, from the University of North Carolina was gunned down

Meanwhile, this outstanding young gentleman, to my knowledge, is barely mentioned on the Fox and MSNBC cable "news" shows. I won't comment on this differences in appearance and background. We report, you decide.
Don't forget about the pretty brunette girl from Auburn that is all over at the same time as the not quite as pretty blonde.

Dude this story has been all over the news.

This is bullshit. Everyone wants to portray L.A. and USC especially as being in a bad neighborhood. Well f*ck that. There are murders all over the country and at schools in the sticks not just in South-Central. Yet the media wants to show this story over and over.

Dude this story has been all over the news.

This is bullshit. Everyone wants to portray L.A. and USC especially as being in a bad neighborhood. Well f*ck that. There are murders all over the country and at schools in the sticks not just in South-Central. Yet the media wants to show this story over and over.

I know it's been all over the news in SoCal.

I haven't seen it on the national cable "news" shows. Maybe I'm wrong. Has it?

I know it's been all over the news in SoCal.

I haven't seen it on the national cable "news" shows. Maybe I'm wrong. Has it?

It's been on Sportscenter on ESPN. It was on ESPN and CNNSI's website. I've saw on a Fox Sports channel. It's sad, this guy had a scholarship offer from Stanford.

I have no idea if this is true or not but supposedly some head Mexican gang has put word out for Latino's (gang members) to kill blacks in gangs or blacks in general or something to that extent. That's exactly what happened to this kid.

The sad fact is a "gang related shooting in an inner-city" is all to familiar and thus does not make national headlines. Someone getting killed on a college campus is not a regular occurance and thus the attention it gets.

The sad fact is a "gang related shooting in an inner-city" is all to familiar and thus does not make national headlines. Someone getting killed on a college campus is not a regular occurance and thus the attention it gets.

I didn't see any indication in the article that the kid lived in some crime-ridden inner city ghetto.

The only indication in the article appears to suggest he lived in an area that wasn't known for gang violence, and that there were no notable tensions between blacks and latinos in the area.

I think they all matter because they are all our kids.

They were all doing good things with their lives and were cut down for senseless reasons likely by some other kid our society has tossed on the trash heap of life.

I didn't see any indication in the article that the kid lived in some crime-ridden inner city ghetto.

The only indication in the article appears to suggest he lived in an area that wasn't known for gang violence, and that there were no notable tensions between blacks and latinos in the area.

It can be argued whether you want to call it inner-city or just a very low income area. On my L.A. commute I actually drive right near the area where the school is.

There's been a lot of tension between black and latino gangs in L.A. with a lot of shootings and killings going on. This case is so sad because as you said he wasn't in an area known for gang violence at the time of his killing but it just shows how prevelant it unfortunately is all throughout the city.

More info on the kid and how you can donate.

Dear All:

Below is information about the star young football player who was killed last weekend whom I discussed with Susan and James. The student, Jamiel Shaw II, was a cousin of USC Leventhal’s long-time staff member Audrena Murphy, and was a candidate for the Summer Leadership Program that Professor Ken Simmonds runs each summer to teach finance and accounting skills to minority youths. I was told that Pete Carroll had reached out to the young man’s family after his death, as has the mayor and others.

Eunice Clark Joshua of Leventhal asked if I would reach out to you to see if there was any way to get the word out to the broader USC academic and athletic community. Per James’ question, there’s information below about a fund established in the young man’s name, and a memorial service and other ceremonies will be held the first three days of next week. If there’s any way you can think of that would be appropriate to get the word out beyond the Leventhal family, they would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks.

All the best,

David Bloom

Associate Dean and Chief Communications Officer
Marshall School of Business
University of Southern California

3670 Trousdale Parkway
Bridge Hall 300A
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0807

W: 213-740-5543
C: 310-621-4284

Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 12:48 PM
Subject: Jamiel Shaw II

As many of you may have already heard, a promising and gifted young man lost his life Sunday evening just three doors away from his home in Los Angeles. Jamiel Shaw II, 17, was shot and killed last Sunday evening while coming home from the mall. The USC community has been profoundly touched by this tragedy; Jamiel Shaw II is the cousin of USC Leventhal staff member Audrena Goodie. Jamiel has visited USC often and was a candidate for USC Leventhal’s 2008 Summer Leadership Program.

Please join USC Leventhal in extending our sincerest condolences to the Shaw family, their extended family and friends.

Audrena also wanted me to invite the USC community to join her family along with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and many others from the Los Angeles community to honor Jamiel’s life:

Viewing: Date: Monday, March 10, 2008 Time: After 4:00pm Inglewood Mortuary 1206 Centinela Avenue
Inglewood, California 90302
(310) 677-8137 Funeral Service: Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 Time: 11:00am Place: West Angeles Cathedral North Campus 3600 Crenshaw Boulevard Los Angeles, California 90016 (323) 733-8300 Re-pass and Ceremony: Date: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 Time: Immediately Following Funeral Place: Shaw Residence 2136 5th Avenue Los Angeles, California 90018

Many have wanted to send donations to the family. Any donations to the Shaw Family should be sent to the following address:

Foundation for Jamiel Shaw II
c/o USC Federal Credit Union
University Park Campus
1025 W 34th Street
King Hall, 2nd Floor MC 2280
Los Angeles, CA 90089
Phone: (213) 821-7100
Fax: (213) 821-7151

You can also send cards and expressions of condolence directly to the Shaw family residence (above address).

Thank you for your well wishes and prayers to Audrena and her family during this difficult time (please see below article).

Best regards,

Eunice Joshua Clarke

Eunice Joshua Clarke
Administrative Coordinator
and Assistant to the Dean
USC - Leventhal School of Accounting
3660 Trousdale Parkway, 121-C, MC 0441
Los Angeles, California 90089-0441
213-740-2431 Office
213-740-2153 Fax

Isn't USC gated in by iron bars and such? Or is that just a rumor I heard...?

Yeah, there are multiple entrances around the campus but besides that yes there are gates around the campus. It's an urban school. The area around the school and close to downtown have improved but the fact is there are neighborhood gangs surrounding the school.

What is interesting is due to the extra security the school provides it is actually safer stastically than UCLA which is in Westwood and borders Beverly Hills.

The chick killed at UNC was the student body President. Violence in our inner-cities is unfortuantely far too common. To have a student body President killed at one of our countries major univiersities is a very rare occurance. To try and make it a race issue is just poor.

I hope this punk fries.

Alleged gang member arrested in Mid-City football star's death

Pedro Espinoza, 19, was charged with capital murder in the shooting of 17-year-old Jamiel Shaw Jr., whose funeral was today.

By Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
12:43 PM PDT, March 11, 2008

A 19-year-old alleged gang member was charged this morning with capital murder in the shooting death of Jamiel Shaw Jr., just hours before the start of the standout high school football player's funeral, authorities said.

Pedro Espinoza, described by law enforcement as an 18th Street gang member, is scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in a downtown Los Angeles courthouse. Espinoza was arrested late Friday in connection with Jamiel's slaying death, but authorities did not release information about the arrest until today. He is being held in lieu of $1-million bond.

Jamiel, 17, a well-liked Los Angeles High School student, was shot and killed March 2 in the 2100 block of Fifth Avenue. He was three houses from his home in the Mid-City neighborhood known as Arlington Heights when two men in a car pulled up next to him, asked if he belonged to a gang, then shot him when he didn't answer.

The charge against Espinoza includes a special circumstance allegation that could lead to the death penalty. Prosecutors are alleging Espinoza is "an active participant in a criminal street gang and the murder was carried out to further the activities of the criminal street gang."

A decision about whether to seek the death penalty against Espinoza, who was arrested by Los Angeles police detectives from the Wilshire Division, will be made by prosecutors at a later date.

L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who was attending Jamiel's funeral at West Angeles Church of God in Christ, told KNBC-TV Channel 4 that he had been informed of the arrest, but could not provide details, noting that even Jamiel's family had not yet heard the news.

Jamiel, a high school running back, was named his team's and the Southern League's most valuable player in 2007, and he had drawn recruiting interest from both Stanford and Rutgers, his family said. Police said Jamiel was not affiliated with a gang.

Jamiel's mother, Army Sgt. Anita Shaw, was serving in Iraq when her son was slain and flew home to be with her family. She has called for community action to stop gang violence.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-shaw12mar12,0,2842133.story

Back