Putin orders leopards to go forth and multiply

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
One of the few things I give Vladimir Putin credit for - his interest in the conservation of Russia's endangered big cats: the Siberian tiger and the Amur leopard.

Russian conservationists hail rare sighting of Amur leopard with cubs

--- Sighting in Primorye region said to show success of fight against poachers and steps to boost species population ---

Russian conservationists have hailed a rare sighting of an Amur leopard mother with three cubs in the far-eastern region of Primorye as proof of the efficiency of the country’s efforts to boost the population of the endangered species.

Scientists in a Russian national park in Primorye on the border with China obtained the images using a remote camera trap. The video footage shows the feline family standing on top of a hill in the Land of the Leopard national park.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...are-sighting-of-amur-leopard-mother-with-cubs

FWIU, even Hitler loved animals.

I hate to say it, but occasionally wildlife can benefit from certain authoritarian dictators. Especially if the dictator sees the animal species as a symbol of national pride. Poachers are very recalcitrant to shoot the endangered Siberian tiger or European bison because it is widely known just how harsh and swift the penalties and retribution are.

I had a visceral feeling that one could be shot for killing the endangered European Bison in Belarus, or at a minimum face the guarantee of hard prison time at the hands of one of Lukashenko's kangaroo courts.

I hate to say it, but occasionally wildlife can benefit from certain authoritarian dictators. Especially if the dictator sees the animal species as a symbol of national pride. Poachers are very recalcitrant to shoot the endangered Siberian tiger or European bison because it is widely known just how harsh and swift the penalties and retribution are.

I had a visceral feeling that one could be shot for killing the endangered European Bison in Belarus, or at a minimum face the guarantee of hard prison time at the hands of one of Lukashenko's kangaroo courts.

I agree completely.

Poaching endangered wildlife is one area in which I don't care about due process or compassionate justice.

Catch them in the act, kill them on sight.

Good for him. I wish more nations would put an end to trophy hunting, legal or poaching, and move to ecotourism instead. More money to be made, less death.

Good for him. I wish more nations would put an end to trophy hunting, legal or poaching, and move to ecotourism instead. More money to be made, less death.
A very good point.

I am not an ecologist, but I always heard that the health of an environment can be estimated based on the abundance and health of the predators at the top tier of the trophic level.

Not only would the world be a poorer place without the Amur leopard and Siberian tiger, it would likely herald a permanent decline in the ecological health of northeast Asia.

Back