R.I.P. Joe Paterno

• Thread starter Thread starter WinterBorn
  • Start date Start date
W

WinterBorn

The scandals that rocked and ended this illustrious career are a shame. But JoePa was a winner.

The scandals that rocked and ended this illustrious career are a shame. But JoePa was a winner.

I say it's the other way around. Despite being a legend in his own time, and one of the winning-est coaches in America, his career ended in disgrace and disgust.

Someone I know at work predicted that being forced into retirement would be a detriment to his health. That's too bad.

I had predicted that he, like Bear Bryant, wouldn't live long after his retirement. I just never foresaw him leaving like he did.

I had predicted that he, like Bear Bryant, wouldn't live long after his retirement. I just never foresaw him leaving like he did.
Well he made a big mistake about Sandusky but I try not to pay to much attention to the media. They build them up so they can tear them down. Joe Pa was a good football coach. He wasn't wasn't a Willard Gibbs nor was he a George Wallace. He was a fine coach and a good teacher of young men. The media just likes to blow things out of proportions both ways.

After reading the Grand Jury testimonies, there is little he could do to save himself from the "scandal", it was clear that he knew. That isn't scandal, it becomes participation if you aren't doing enough to save those kids from abuse.

I say it's the other way around. Despite being a legend in his own time, and one of the winning-est coaches in America, his career ended in disgrace and disgust.

and that speaks volumes for our society that the majority still have a major issue with placing blame on government and/or authority. Paterno told the people in charge of the campus PD what was going on, those two individuals chose to do nothing.

After reading the Grand Jury testimonies, there is little he could do to save himself from the "scandal", it was clear that he knew. That isn't scandal, it becomes participation if you aren't doing enough to save those kids from abuse.

did he inform the people in charge of campus PD?

Who cares? In business we refer to that as the "cya email". And the employees who repeatedly engage in that are out. They are valuable to no one.
WTF???? he informed the head of the police department and they did jack shit. what more should he have done? shot the assistant coach in the brain pan?

Shot him???

I guess when your only tool is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Darla, when you inform the police, what more is the responsibility? what else could/should he have done? If the police do not act on the information you give them, are you authorized to take action yourself?

and that speaks volumes for our society that the majority still have a major issue with placing blame on government and/or authority. Paterno told the people in charge of the campus PD what was going on, those two individuals chose to do nothing.

EVERYBODY chose to do nothing. Apparently keeping the Penn State image intact was more important that protecting innocent children. Paterno was just another link in the chain of those who ignored the gravity of the situation.

WTF???? he informed the head of the police department and they did jack shit. what more should he have done? shot the assistant coach in the brain pan?

Take an active role, warn others. There is responsibility as a person in a position of trust to protect the people who are within your purview. There were two police departments that needed warning as well. He took kids across to another county. Why was this contained solely on the campus? Because that was where they could bury that dog poop and pretend they had 'done enough'.

There is no excuse for not taking an active role to protect children from predation. Once he knew Sandusky had actually anally raped a child there is no excuse for not taking every action you can to protect those children. If the campus PD won't do their job then it is time to report it to other law enforcement agencies until somebody will take the appropriate action.

I don't care how many games you won, I don't care what you've done in your career if you participated in a coverup that created victims of children. There is no respect in me for any man who would not take an active role to protect children from predation. "joe pa" will forever be a man who stood by and collected kudos while he knew children were victims.

'

I loved Joe Pa... right up until I found out he protected a child molester. So no RIP coming from me. I hope he is getting a hot poker in the backside. That seems far more appropriate.

Myers picked up 5 PSU recruits because of the scandal.

I laughed at an article about the other coaches in the conference being mad at Myers for stealing their recruits. He got a great recruiting class. OSU should make some noise in the next few years.

Back