Really? Another one?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D95J4QC00&show_article=1

This dude who jumped in to the same cage as a bear to save a toy is an idiot, but even more so is the zoo that keeps letting people get close to the mouth of the bear! It isn't that hard to design a cage that is a bit more difficult for bear and people to meet in...

It seems that the cages are designed to keep the pandas in, and are effective in that regard. It also seems that human stupidity wasn't part of the design equation. The pandas and the zoo are not culpable here; it's the apparently thinking-impaired humans who enter the enclosure with a wild animal, a large wild animal with teeth and claws, who are at fault. I have no sympathy except for the emotional trauma that the poor panda must have endured.

PS I thought that pandas aren't really bears but are members of the same family as raccoons -- do you know?

It seems that the cages are designed to keep the pandas in, and are effective in that regard. It also seems that human stupidity wasn't part of the design equation. The pandas and the zoo are not culpable here; it's the apparently thinking-impaired humans who enter the enclosure with a wild animal, a large wild animal with teeth and claws, who are at fault. I have no sympathy except for the emotional trauma that the poor panda must have endured.

PS I thought that pandas aren't really bears but are members of the same family as raccoons -- do you know?

No, it is a bear. Though it was thought for a time to be in the family of raccoons.

I honestly feel more sorry for the bear than I do for the idiot who entered his cage.

They should do more to protect the bear from stupid people.

This is not the first comment she's made that's disturbed me. I hate everything about her thought process, and she can't wave it off by putting a smiley in her messages.

You're out of your mind. If there is one inoffensive member on the board, it's Thorn. And her posts are always really deeply thought and interesting. Chill out.

I'm sorry you are in your "angry" state of some weird bi-polar episode. You seem to have two channels. Silly and Angry. Today you dialed in angry...

It doesn't change that any man who would jump into a bear's cage to get a silly toy rather than just asking the zoo employees to retrieve it is an idiot and I feel less sorry for them than I do the bear who is trapped and almost incapable of acting as any bear would.

I'm sorry you are in your "angry" state of some weird bi-polar episode.

It doesn't change that any man who would jump into a bear's cage to get a silly toy rather than just asking the zoo employees to retrieve it is an idiot and I feel less sorry for them than I do the bear who is trapped and almost incapable of acting as any bear would.

Then release him into the wild.

I'm sorry you are in your "angry" state of some weird bi-polar episode. You seem to have two channels. Silly and Angry. Today you dialed in angry...

You know who is good at dealing with him when he is like this - Beefy.

A zoo has a responsibility to make cages that aren't easily broken into. Same with any place housing something dangerous. When's the last time you heard of two other otherwise normal people breaking into any other cage in any other zoo in a such a short period of time? This clearly indicates that there is something wrong with how they are running their zoo, because at all the other zoos, this doesn't happen. Clearly, the other zoos have designed cages that are enough against human stupidity, and this zoo just decided to cut costs by not building them. If you'd quit being judgmental and look at the facts you'd realize that I'm right.

Last edited:
Then release him into the wild.
That would be a good choice. I'd support it.

Although they likely keep the bear in order to hopefully breed it with another and increase the population of an endangered species.

BTW - Protection for the bear against stupid people would also protect, consequently, the stupid people from the bear.

Back