Recycling is literally a scam

Plastic can be economically recycled, but it has to be done correctly to get it to work. Here's a company that makes chairs from purely recycled 1 liter soda bottles. They get these by the pallet with labels and caps removed (the caps are a different type of plastic). These are then ground up and made into chairs.

https://www.emeco.net/collections/111-navy-chair-coca-cola

Almost all thermoplastics are recyclable. Thermosets aren't. The problem is that you have to separate each type of plastic to recycle it. That presents a huge problem given the large number of different plastics out there. The guy on the video is wrong in this respect. For example #6 styrene is very recyclable. Styrofoam is one form of this plastic that can easily be reground and used again.

Of course, ending plastic production in favor of something else would really be a major crap bag hit on modern society that would pretty much ass fuck the economy. If you like battery cars, these couldn't be built without plastics. Our electronics, and even the electric system? Not possible without plastics.

Recyclable plastics have a life of about 5 reuses before they become unusable. By the way, the same is true of paper. You can't recycle either indefinitely.

Plastic can be economically recycled, but it has to be done correctly to get it to work. Here's a company that makes chairs from purely recycled 1 liter soda bottles. They get these by the pallet with labels and caps removed (the caps are a different type of plastic). These are then ground up and made into chairs.

https://www.emeco.net/collections/111-navy-chair-coca-cola

Almost all thermoplastics are recyclable. Thermosets aren't. The problem is that you have to separate each type of plastic to recycle it. That presents a huge problem given the large number of different plastics out there. The guy on the video is wrong in this respect. For example #6 styrene is very recyclable. Styrofoam is one form of this plastic that can easily be reground and used again.

Of course, ending plastic production in favor of something else would really be a major crap bag hit on modern society that would pretty much ass fuck the economy. If you like battery cars, these couldn't be built without plastics. Our electronics, and even the electric system? Not possible without plastics.

Recyclable plastics have a life of about 5 reuses before they become unusable. By the way, the same is true of paper. You can't recycle either indefinitely.

We have not done it right for 40 years, as the people have been lied to.

You conservatives desperately need to connect with reality!

We have not done it right for 40 years, as the people have been lied to.

You conservatives desperately need to connect with reality!

We haven't done it right because it's costly to do it at all. For plastic to be recycled, first it has to be completely segregated by type. Any mixing of two different plastics renders reuse impossible. Next, the plastic has to be clean and free of all foreign substances. Labels, glues, food, or other contents have to be completely removed from the plastic. After that, comes color. Depending on what you're making, colored plastic may be unacceptable. For example, if your product is clear plastic you can't use colored plastic regrind in it.
Plastics that aren't marked with a recycling symbol to tell you which one it is, are worthless as there is no economical means to determine that.

Basically, plastic waste is best utilized as fuel for energy production. It has a relatively high energy content and leaves little or no ash. There is no need to determine what type it is for this use making it easy to segregate and utilize. But, of course, the environmental tards don't want that because it will produce some CO2 as a byproduct... So, instead they rail against how evil plastic is because it isn't recycled but won't use it for something it could be used for as waste.

Oh, by the way, paper recycling in many ways is even worse...

Re-cycling stopped here in my community, as far as separating garbage from recyclables. We were told the Virus was the reason.

I figure the city is in the best position to recycle the trash they pickup. They should have a staff of people sorting the recyclables out of the trash- BEFORE THEY JUST BULLDOZE IT UNDER.

Then they could sell the recyclable materials to companies that use that stuff to make their money- and still make a profit off of the labor they used to sort it all out.

The problem has always been- companies that used recyclable materials want the stuff for free.

So bulldoze it for all I care- if it does not profit me in some manner!

Re-cycling stopped here in my community, as far as separating garbage from recyclables. We were told the Virus was the reason. I figure the city is in the best position to recycle the trash they pickup. They should have a staff of people sorting the recyclables out of the trash- BEFORE THEY JUST BULLDOZE IT UNDER. Then they could sell the recyclable materials to companies and still make a profit off of the labor they used to sort it all out. The problem has always been- companies that used recyclable materials want the stuff for free. So bulldoze it for all I care- if it does not profit me in some manner!

:coolstorybro:

I doubt that most forms of recycling are economically viable unless precious metals are involved.

Most metals are highly recyclable. Steel has a marginal return on it but is widely recycled. Aluminum is an excellent candidate as it takes far less energy to recycle aluminum than to make new from aluminum oxides as found and mined. Copper is another great choice.
Glass is recyclable but has the same issues as plastic. Color, type, etc., all make a difference in reuse.

In Phoenix the city has stopped doing recycling as a program for the most part because it is losing money and they want to keep the cost of waste pick up down.

Most metals are highly recyclable. Steel has a marginal return on it but is widely recycled. Aluminum is an excellent candidate as it takes far less energy to recycle aluminum than to make new from aluminum oxides as found and mined. Copper is another great choice.
Glass is recyclable but has the same issues as plastic. Color, type, etc., all make a difference in reuse.

In Phoenix the city has stopped doing recycling as a program for the most part because it is losing money and they want to keep the cost of waste pick up down.

Let's not forget the added expense and "environmental costs" associated with recycling.

Don't even get me started on EV batteries.

We haven't done it right because it's costly to do it at all. For plastic to be recycled, first it has to be completely segregated by type. Any mixing of two different plastics renders reuse impossible. Next, the plastic has to be clean and free of all foreign substances. Labels, glues, food, or other contents have to be completely removed from the plastic. After that, comes color. Depending on what you're making, colored plastic may be unacceptable. For example, if your product is clear plastic you can't use colored plastic regrind in it.
Plastics that aren't marked with a recycling symbol to tell you which one it is, are worthless as there is no economical means to determine that.

Basically, plastic waste is best utilized as fuel for energy production. It has a relatively high energy content and leaves little or no ash. There is no need to determine what type it is for this use making it easy to segregate and utilize. But, of course, the environmental tards don't want that because it will produce some CO2 as a byproduct... So, instead they rail against how evil plastic is because it isn't recycled but won't use it for something it could be used for as waste.

Oh, by the way, paper recycling in many ways is even worse...

These people who are trying to force us to give up plastic as are like the Taliban calling for undoing civilization, the are regressives.

These people who are trying to force us to give up plastic as are like the Taliban calling for undoing civilization, the are regressives.

They're not wrong, but at this point, it's unlikely. The genie is not going back into the (plastic) bottle.

Trace micro-plastics are now detectable in our food and water, even in the air we breathe. I wonder if the proliferation of certain cancers aren't exacerbated by plastic particles in our bodies.

Plastics aren't going away from manufacturing. They are simply far too valuable to the market for far too many things for that to happen. I could see reducing or eliminating them from packaging, maybe from secondary or tertiary uses, but not from end products themselves.

For example, in cars fiber reinforced ABS is simply too widespread to eliminate, not to mention that doing so would make cars far heavier and less fuel (or battery) efficient. This goes across the board for plastic. We need it in a wide variety of things we use.

Yeah, if you could stop spam-posting OPs under "The Anonymous" account, that'd be great. TIA, Legion.

Plastics aren't going away from manufacturing. They are simply far too valuable to the market for far too many things for that to happen. I could see reducing or eliminating them from packaging, maybe from secondary or tertiary uses, but not from end products themselves.

For example, in cars fiber reinforced ABS is simply too widespread to eliminate, not to mention that doing so would make cars far heavier and less fuel (or battery) efficient. This goes across the board for plastic. We need it in a wide variety of things we use.

We need to go back to paper bags for groceries..and returnable glass for soda.

That method was more green and "sustainable".

Back