Relational Database Help - Serious People only

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
Hi everyone. If I'm not mistaken a few of you may know some stuff about relational databases. I do too, to a certain extent, but I kinda suck. I have some questions if anyone could help me out. PM me or post in this thread if you can answer some questions I have. thanks..

The basic problem with relational databases is numeric overload - where you have more info coming through the data pipe than coming out. Which could cause you a lot of headaches with your data centers and other relational structures in the thing you're making. You need to learn a little about PHP to be able to effectively combat such problems.

Last edited:
I'm a Web Developer grind, and have designed and maintained over 100 databases. If you don't get help, let me know and I'll take a stab at it.

question about temporary tables, (assume I actually need to use one)

A) what happens if two people query for information through a temporary table at the exact same time, is this going to cause issues?

B) If it will cause issues, what's my solution? Can I create dynamic temporary tables? I've been seeing a lot of stuff about stored procedures but I'm not sure that applies to me plus I think it seems a little bloated for what I am doing.

No, JOINS etc aren't probably going to work for me in this instance...

Are you using MS SQL Server or??? Local temp tables only have scope within the current session. Global temp tables can be accessed by other sessions. But you might want to use a table variable instead of a local temp table.

lets say hypothetically that two users create the same temp table at the exact same time. This isn't going to cause an issue?

No, it should not. They want actually be creating the same table because the table will be unique to the session.

that's awesome. What is the need for dynamic temp tables then? That stuff is probably way over my head... I just learn what I need to get by lol . .

Make sure to use the SQL temp tables, which perform better, and not those regular old tables, Grind. Also make sure you've got your relationships in line, we don't want any huge headaches from the axis of the database being wiped.

Back