Remember when Obama shrugged off the bombing of a hospital?

obama_drones.jpg

THE WARLORD O-BOMB-YA

Some would probably be astounded to realize that the president who was painted by liberal pundits as a reluctant warrior was actually a hawk.

He left office having been at war longer than any president in US history. He was also the only president to serve two complete terms with the nation at war.

Looking back at Obama’s legacy, the Council on Foreign Relation’s Micah Zenko added up the defense department’s data on airstrikes and made a startling revelation: in 2016 alone, the Obama administration dropped at least 26,171 bombs. This means that every day that year, the US military blasted combatants or civilians overseas with 72 bombs; that’s three bombs every hour, 24 hours a day.

While most of these air attacks were in Syria and Iraq, US bombs also rained down on people in Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan. That’s seven majority-Muslim countries.

One bombing technique that Obama championed was drone strikes. As drone-warrior-in-chief, he spread the use of drones outside the declared battlefields of Afghanistan and Iraq, mainly to Pakistan and Yemen. Obama authorized over 10 times more drone strikes than George W Bush, and automatically painted all males of military age in these regions as combatants, making them fair game for remote controlled killing.

Obama claimed that his overseas military adventures were legal under the 2001 and 2003 authorizations for the use of military force passed by Congress to go after al-Qaida. But his wars had little or nothing to do with those who attacked the United States on September 11, 2001.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/america-dropped-26171-bombs-2016-obama-legacy

A translator at a Capitol Hill hearing on the U.S. drone program was moved nearly to tears during the testimony of Pakistani primary school teacher Rafiq Rehman. Rehman and his family — whose story was revealed to the world by Amnesty International — traveled to Washington from Pakistan’s northern Waziristan region.

The teacher’s mother was killed in a U.S. drone strike and his two children were injured.

The family’s congressional appearance was held in the Rayburn Building on Capitol Hill and was sponsored in by the Brave New Foundation, a global nonprofit social justice foundation. Brave New Films released the documentary film “Unmanned: America’s Drone War,” which details the Rehman family’s losses.

“Congressman Grayson,” said Rehman via a translator, “As a teacher, my job is to educate. But how do I teach something like this?”

“How do I explain what I myself do not understand?” he continued. “How can I in good faith reassure the children that the drone will not come back and kill them, too? If I do not understand why it killed my mother and injured my children…”

It was there that the translator broke off and took a hasty swallow of water as she choked up. Rehman spoke again.

“My mother is not the first innocent victim of U.S. drones,” relayed the translator, “Numerous families in our community and in the surrounding area have lost loved ones — including women and children — in these strikes.”

In October of 2012, Rehman’s mother and two children were picking okra in a community garden when the grandmother was shot down by missiles from a U.S. predator drone.

Both children were also injured and have since suffered from nightmares, panic attacks and anxiety that drones will come back and kill them.

The Brave New Foundation, Amnesty International and other rights groups banded together to demand an end to the drone program and to the thick blanket of secrecy surrounding it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/30/translator-at-drone-strike-hearing-moved-nearly-to-tears-by-survivor-testimony/

I don't believe JPP liberals care about children since they didn't tell Obama to stop droning them, AFAIK

Back