RIP Charlie Watts....

Just heard that Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has died at the age of 80.

RIP to him.

He was a competent musician in a band of mediocre musicians.

The thing that made an impression on me is that he was married to the same woman for 57 years and he reputedly did not fool around with groupies. Supposedly the Stones were once invited by Hugh Hefner to the Playboy mansion, and all Watts wanted to do was hang around in the billiards room and play pool

The thing that made an impression on me is that he was married to the same woman for 57 years and he reputedly did not fool around with groupies. Supposedly the Stones were once invited by Hugh Hefner to the Playboy mansion, and all Watts wanted to do was hang around in the billiards room and play pool

I never was a really big Stones fan.

I like a few of their songs, but for the most part, they don't do much for me.

I never was a really big Stones fan.

I like a few of their songs, but for the most part, they don't do much for me.
Mediocre musicians can still perform good tunes, aka Bob Dylan, John Lennon, George Harrison, Neil Young, etc.

I can't think of a drummer that could have complimented the Stones any more than Charlie!
I can't think of a drummer that could have complimented the Beatles anymore than Ringo!
Same could be said of Kieth Moon and the Who!
Ginger Baker and Cream and the list goes on and on!

Because these are 60's drummers. Kind of a lost art form now. Drummers that actually complimented their bands instead of trying to be the show!

Take Charlie Watts for example, when he kicks off the cowbell on Honky Tonk women, the BPM starts out at around 103- But by the time the last chorus comes around, the BPM has already slowly graduated up to around 109 or more until the song ends. It's just the way he does it intentionally every time- even in concert live! And it seems to work perfectly.

Since the 70's, drummers sound more like DRUM MACHINES NOW! They seem to go for the perfect syncopation like clocks and don't do much to innovate or take risks. There are exceptions, however they are not the rule!

Last edited:
Mediocre musicians can still perform good tunes, aka Bob Dylan, John Lennon, George Harrison, Neil Young, etc.

For most of that list, speaking in terms of technical skill, musical knowledge etc., it's true that they are mediocre.

Their primary talent being singer/song writers.

I don't think George Harrison, as a guitarist, belongs in the "mediocre musician" category, though.

A lot of his peers and even more modern day guitarists acknowledge that he had some pretty advanced skills.

I can't think of a drummer that could have complimented the Stones any more than Charlie!
I can't think of a drummer that could have complimented the Beatles anymore than Ringo!
Same could be said of Kieth Moon and the Who!
Ginger Baker and Cream and the list goes on and on!

Because these are 60's drummers. Kind of a lost art form now. Drummers that actually complimented their bands instead of trying to be the show!

Take Charlie Watts for example, when he kicks off the cowbell on Honky Tonk women, the BPM starts out at around 103- But by the time the last chorus comes around, the BPM has already slowly graduated up to around 109 or more until the song ends. It's just the way he does it intentionally every time- even in concert live! And it seems to work perfectly.

Since the 70's, drummers sound more like DRUM MACHINES NOW! They seem to go for the perfect syncopation like clocks and don't do much to innovate or take risks. There are exceptions, however they are not the rule!
Watts was really a jazz musician who got Shanghai'd into a rock band

Mitch Mitchell of the Experience was incredible.

I am going to give it up to Neil Peart though, who I believe surpassed most of the 60s drummers

Watts was really a jazz musician who got Shanghai'd into a rock band

Mitch Mitchell of the Experience was incredible.

I am going to give it up to Neil Peart though, who I believe surpassed most of the 60s drummers

Neil Pert was a 60's drummer- in a league all of his own as was John Bonham.

When you get to their level of drumming, they are just what I refer to as MASTER DRUMMERS- AND IT IS TOO HARD TO CALL WHO is better as to me they are just MASTER DRUMMERS- and there are thousands of MASTER DRUMMERS out there!

It's like trying to say who the best looking women is! You just can't say! And you would go insane trying to commit yourself down to just one!

Last edited:
Neil Pert was a 60's drummer- in a league all of his own as was John Bonham.

When you get to their level of drumming, they are just what I refer to as MASTER DRUMMERS- AND IT IS TOO HARD TO CALL WHO is better as to me they are just MASTER DRUMMERS- and there are thousands of MASTER DRUMMERS out there!

It's like trying to say who the best looking women is! You just can't say! And you would go insane trying to commit yourself down to just one!

That's true.

There is no "one better" or "one best".

That's true pretty much in anything.

They are just different in terms of style and approach.

But they absolutely rise above those who are just basically beat and tempo keepers.

Those human metronomes if you will, who look like they're thinking about something else while they're playing.

But there are drummers and then there are drummers.

I think my favorite drummer to watch play, was Stan Lynch, the original drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Go to YouTube and watch some old late 70's and early 80's live concert video of them and pay attention to Stan Lynch playing drums.

He really plays the drums like a musical instrument rather than just being a beat and tempo keeper.

That's true.

There is no "one better" or "one best".

That's true pretty much in anything.

They are just different in terms of style and approach.

But they absolutely rise above those who are just basically beat and tempo keepers.

Those human metronomes if you will, who look like they're thinking about something else while they're playing.

But there are drummers and then there are drummers.

I think my favorite drummer to watch play, was Stan Lynch, the original drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Go to YouTube and watch some old late 70's and early 80's live concert video of them and pay attention to Stan Lynch playing drums.

He really plays the drums like a musical instrument rather than just being a beat and tempo keeper.

Thanks! Finding a drummer that matched the group is one of the hardest things to find. Charlie was a Rolling Stone- no bout adoubt it!

There is a documentary on Netflix right now called "Count Me In" that is a good one about famous Drummers and who influenced them! Try to catch it if you can! One of the best films I've seen all summer! It even goes all the way back to the Benny Goodman era and shows some film clips of Gene Krupa- which was always one of my favorites! Yet, even that documentary couldn't even begin to scratch the surface I suppose because there just wasn't enough time to mention even Jeff Purcano of Toto and tons of others that didn't make the cut.

It seems Charlie and Ringo are/were Drummer's drummers and most everyone's favorite drummers. While Ringo only used a 4 drum set- Charlie just used a 5 drum set along with one boom- one crash- one rider- and a high hat stack his whole career! Quite simple- and straight to the point!

Last edited:
Thanks! Finding a drummer that matched the group is one of the hardest things to find. Charlie was a Rolling Stone- no bout adoubt it!

There is a documentary on Netflix right now called "Count Me In" that is a good one about famous Drummers and who influenced them! Try to catch it if you can! One of the best films I've seen all summer! It even goes all the way back to the Benny Goodman era and shows some film clips of Gene Krupa- which was always one of my favorites! Yet, even that documentary couldn't even begin to scratch the surface I suppose because there just wasn't enough time to mention even Jeff Purcano of Toto and tons of others that didn't make the cut.

It seems Charlie and Ringo are/were Drummer's drummers and most everyone's favorite drummers. While Ringo only used a 4 drum set- Charlie just used a 5 drum set along with one boom- one crash- one rider- and a high hat stack his whole career! Quite simple- and straight to the point!

Ginger Baker.

This is worth watching.

Back