RIP Dan Wheldon

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
I was watching the Las Vegas IRL race today and saw the crash that took the life of defending Indy 500 Champ Dan Wheldon. I'm completely bummed. The IRL used poor judgement racing at the facility. The banking is to high at that track and it keeps the drivers in a pack going flat out with not lifting. This is not a place they should have been racing. Indy cars are not stock cars. They can't race in traffic. It's to dangerous.

It's a very dangerous sport. Open cockpit -- open wheel.. it's insane, and a wonder more aren't killed.

What a way for Danica to go out, huh?
What a way for Dan to go out. He was a hell of a driver. Jimmie Johnson almost bought it at Charlotte Saturday night. A few years back before safer barriers and the Hans device and that probably would have been a fatal accident. No doubt about it, racing is just plain dangerous and cause there had been nearly a 5 year run with out anyone getting killed in the major racing circuits things may have become a bit complacent. Like I said....poor judgement may have been used to race the IRL at Vegas due to the high banking their and the inability of the field to spread out. 3 wide pack racing in the IRL may be extremely excitiing but it's far to dangerous. I remember thinking after the first 10 laps that Wow, this is going to be an exciting race. I was all ready on the edge of my seat.....and then the big one went down. Worst mass wreck I've ever seen.

Back