RIP Gary Rossington

Nomad

BIDEN WON.
Guitarist and founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gary Rossington has died at the age of 71.

The last surviving member of the original band, his was the signature slide guitar in "Free Bird".

And though I was never really a fan, RIP Mr. Free Bird.

image.jpg

Guitarist and founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gary Rossington has died at the age of 71.

The last surviving member of the original band, his was the signature slide guitar in "Free Bird".

And though I was never really a fan, RIP Mr. Free Bird.

https://i.postimg.cc/NjB5btvX/image.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

RIP. I remember they named their band after their HS gym teacher. As I recall, they didn't like him very much.

RIP. I remember they named their band after their HS gym teacher. As I recall, they didn't like him very much.

Yes, his name was Leonard Skinner.

But the reference was also to a character in the 1963 song “Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh.” (@ 0 :45)

Every thread of this nature reminds me how lacking I am in knowledge of pop culture.

Lynyrd what?

Anybody of consequence in their horn section?

Saw Skynyrd about 4 0r 5 times. Took the GF to see them on our 2nd date, and a few times since. Always a good show. Gary will be missed

This is from Day On The Green in Oakland in 1977 (the plane crash was three months later).

1) this is just awesome

2) pretty amazing to remember what a concert looked like without every single person holding up their cell phones

Skynyrd was totally unique and original, and they were great song writers.

'Gimme Three Steps' is funny as sh*t and self deprecating in a way that the macho rock poseurs of that era never were.

Skynyrd was totally unique and original, and they were great song writers.

'Gimme Three Steps' is funny as sh*t and self deprecating in a way that the macho rock poseurs of that era never were.

And based on a true story.

The Jug was/is a real bar in Jacksonville.

One of my roommates in college had an old high school buddy who was in the Navy at the time and stationed at NAS Jax. We drove up one day back in the early 80's to hang out and ended up going there.

Very strange experience.

Really good live band with a little 5' tall Asian guy on lead vocals and guitar. He was jumping off the stage and walking back and forth along the divider between two rows of booths while shredding his ass off.

First time I'd ever heard a band using a suppressor which allows high volume but lower impact on the ears.

And the characters in there were strange too. I remember this one fat, redneck surfer looking guy. Bleached hair, surfer tan, big stomach sticking out of an unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt, blue jeans and barefooted. He was playing pool with this rail thin, anorexic looking chick wearing mirror shiny skin tight silver pants, a spaghetti strap top and spike heels. Probably a stripper. They would alternately play pool and then very non chalantly, or kind of laconically, dance to the music.

Then, at the stroke of 2 am, about 6 or 8 big ass cops came in. The lights went on and they walked around from table to table telling everybody "Out."

Screenshot-20230306-113412.jpg

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...piration-for-lynyrd-skynyrd-song/77-590266003

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/lynyrd-skynyrd/gimme-three-steps

One of my roommates in college had an old high school buddy who was in the Navy at the time and stationed at NAS Jax. We drove up one day back in the early 80's to hang out and ended up going there.

Very strange experience.

Really good live band with a little 5' tall Asian guy on lead vocals and guitar. He was jumping off the stage and walking back and forth along the divider between two rows of booths while shredding his ass off.

First time I'd ever heard a band using a suppressor which allows high volume but lower impact on the ears.

And the characters in there were strange too. I remember this one fat, redneck surfer looking guy. Bleached hair, surfer tan, big stomach sticking out of an unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt, blue jeans and barefooted. He was playing pool with this rail thin, anorexic looking chick wearing mirror shiny skin tight silver pants, a spaghetti strap top and spike heels. Probably a stripper. They would alternately play pool and then very non chalantly, or kind of laconically, dance to the music.

Then, at the stroke of 2 am, about 6 or 8 big ass cops came in. The lights went on and they walked around from table to table telling everybody "Out."

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...piration-for-lynyrd-skynyrd-song/77-590266003

That is truly an 'impressive' looking dive bar.

That is truly an 'impressive' looking dive bar.

It didn't even look that nice when I went there.

I don't think that stonework was on the front then.

Just plain old dirty white paint.

And at the time it was called "The Post and Cue".

Very strange experience.

That bar probably got a lot of business just because of that song.

What was so amazing about Lynyrd Skynyrd was their triple lead guitar lineup.

When Ed King replaced Wilkeson on Bass and switching over to lead guitar, creating with Allen Collins and Gary Rossington the triple-guitar attack that became the band's signature sound. The band referred to this unique new setup with King as the "Three Guitar Army".

Collins and Rossington always played their Les Pauls on Marshall amps with that perfect MARSHALL distorted SOUND, and Ed King always playing his Fender Strat on Fender Twins adding that gorgeous Fender crystal clean glassy sound, was the perfect mix on every record or stage. It was as much a competition for the musicians as it was for their choice of instruments.

You could always tell who was playing what lead guitar part on every song, as they all had their own unique personal styles and patented tones and sounds, consistently all complementing each other. And how they did this in perfect concert, without stepping on each other, was equally amazing, as there were plenty of room to give them all plenty of space to show off their individual guitar prowess on every take.

Lynard Skynard was what vinyl records and High End stereo was all about.

Talk about ear-candy Southern rock!

Last edited:
What was so amazing about Lynyrd Skynyrd was their triple lead guitar lineup.

When Ed King replaced Wilkeson on Bass and switching over to lead guitar, creating with Allen Collins and Gary Rossington the triple-guitar attack that became the band's signature sound. The band referred to this unique new setup with King as the "Three Guitar Army".

Collins and Rossington always played their Les Pauls on Marshall amps, and Ed King always playing his Fender Strat on Fender Twins, was the perfect mix on every record or stage.

You could always tell who was playing what lead guitar part on every song, as they all had their own unique personal styles and patented tones and sounds, consistently all complementing each other.

Talk about ear-candy rock!

Ed King was not an original founding member either.

At the time he joined Skynyrd, he had already been in a successful 1960's California psychedelic band called Strawberry Alarm Clock.

I had their signature album when I was a kid....

Screenshot-20230306-123838-2.jpg

King is on the far left with sunglasses.

Ed King on lead guitar....

Ed King was not an original founding member either.

At the time he joined Skynyrd, he had already been in a successful 1960's California psychedelic band called Strawberry Alarm Clock.

I had their signature album when I was a kid....

Screenshot-20230306-123838-2.jpg

King is on the far left with sunglasses.

Ed King on lead guitar....

Yep! Ed King was one of my favorite guitar players of all time. But, then again, everyone who ever played guitar in that band was also!

May they all play on and rest in peace up there in Rock & Roll heaven!

Yep! Ed King was one of my favorite guitar players of all time. But, then again, everyone who ever played guitar in that band was also!

May they all play on and rest in peace up there in Rock & Roll heaven!

He was the one who created the intro to Sweet Home Alabama.

Back