RIP George Jones.

I read his autobiography... dude was a freakin' wildman. Booze, coke, pills...it's amazing he made it as long as he did.

But yes, "He stopped loving her today" is one of the best "cry in your beer" sings ever written.

praise god for dead country musicians.

What do you mean? Is this indicative of a disdain for a particular genre of music?

If so, I respectfully disagree. The old school country guys were storytellers. Their songs, while simplistic, came from the heart. As opposed to the majority of music today....which is just formulaic bullshit designed to sell records and cater to the lowest common denominator....that actually applies for all of the genres of the modern day music scene. Not that there aren't exceptions in every one of those genres, but for the most part....music sucks these days.

I urge you to watch the video that I embedded and watch it as many tines as it takes to know the words even just to a half assed level, and tell me honestly that nothing stirred in your heart.

Look, country music isn't my preferred genre either. But when something is just that good, you can't just dismiss it.

If I was wrong in your sentiments, I apologize in advance.

Let's not forget:
A little bitty tear let me down
Blue moon of Kentucky
One has a my name
Running Bear
The race is on

And many more.
RIP George

What do you mean? Is this indicative of a disdain for a particular genre of music?

If so, I respectfully disagree. The old school country guys were storytellers. Their songs, while simplistic, came from the heart. As opposed to the majority of music today....which is just formulaic bullshit designed to sell records and cater to the lowest common denominator....that actually applies for all of the genres of the modern day music scene. Not that there aren't exceptions in every one of those genres, but for the most part....music sucks these days.

I urge you to watch the video that I embedded and watch it as many tines as it takes to know the words even just to a half assed level, and tell me honestly that nothing stirred in your heart.

Look, country music isn't my preferred genre either. But when something is just that good, you can't just dismiss it.

If I was wrong in your sentiments, I apologize in advance.

Country music today is pretty much just pop music that may have a token fiddle part (mixed way down). Maybe an occasional reference to America, killing non-Americans, how much better the country is than the city, or God. The God part is especially necessary with songs that glorify vengeance and a general merciless attitude, as country songs from God-fearing folk disproportionately do; apparently the thought is that a name-drop here and there makes up for totally ignoring what he said.

Old country, on the other hand, was more heavily based in folk music, doesn't have a soft, cushy, overproduced sound, and dealt with issues that matter to real human beings rather than focus groups of NASCAR fans.

Country music today is pretty much just pop music that may have a token fiddle part (mixed way down). Maybe an occasional reference to America, killing non-Americans, how much better the country is than the city, or God. The God part is especially necessary with songs that glorify vengeance and a general merciless attitude, as country songs from God-fearing folk disproportionately do; apparently the thought is that a name-drop here and there makes up for totally ignoring what he said.

Old country, on the other hand, was more heavily based in folk music, doesn't have a soft, cushy, overproduced sound, and dealt with issues that matter to real human beings rather than focus groups of NASCAR fans.

Well said sir...my sentiments exactly.

Tom Petty had the description of modern popular music correct in the song "Last DJ". Just like the rest of this country, music has become a shallow, corporatized version of it's former greatness.

That's why I don't even own an electric guitar anymore(haven't for a decade) and choose to play roots based music... I say based...because we do play some rock and roll...but it's stuff like The Band, who stuck quite a bit to the roots music of America.

Back