RIP Sparky!

I always liked Sparky Anderson. That Big Red Machine was quite a ball club. He did well in Detroit too.

I was just thinking the other day about a funny quip from Joe Morgan that made me laugh for days. This summer on an ESPN game there was a play where the batter laid down a bunt and the catcher had to move to create a lane to throw to first. Morgan pointed out that the runner was inside the baseline, so if the catcher hit him, the runner would be out. Then he said that Johnny Bench would have nailed him in the back. Jon Miller said he knew Bench had a rocket arm, but the problem is the umpire has to see that the runner is inside the baseline. Morgan quipped; that's easy, all the umpire had to do was look at where the guy was laying.

Captain Hook new how to manage a team. He was an excelent study in leadership. One of the best ways to lead is to find good talent and then get out of their way.

Captain Hook new how to manage a team. He was an excelent study in leadership. One of the best ways to lead is to find good talent and then get out of their way.

Not always. The best coaches know how to get a bunch of superstars with big egos to play as a team.

Sparky had that ability. John Wooden was the master.

Back